Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Taking your dog into shops and restaurants

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I would rather be in any establishment with dogs, rather than screeching children running around, all day long.

That said, some young children are lovely when they are well behaved, but too often parents just let them run around causing mayhem, screaming at the top of their voices.

Dogs however in those environments, are mostly content just sitting, sleeping or quietly interacting with other dogs or people.

Went in the Old Bike Store in Worthing for a pint with our mutt last weekend where they’re were 3 really noisy toddlers doing my nut in. My dog was not happy with the din. Luckily they left after 10 minutes or I would have.

el punal

Aug 29, 2012
The dull part of the south coast
We have 2 golden retrievers and they will always come to pubs with us (as long as they allow dogs). Most pubs, around us, will allow dogs in the bar area but not in the restaurant area which I agree with! My boys are very pub friendly and happy to lay on the floor off the lead with no issues. We will actively seek out dog friendly pubs, which in the new forest isn’t hard!

If you haven’t already been try the Turfcutters (have to be careful how you spell that!) Arms at East Boldre. Ticks all the boxes re. dogs, beer, food and atmosphere, and not too expensive being a New Forest pub. :drink:

el punal

Aug 29, 2012
The dull part of the south coast
People who own dogs are often oblivious to the stench they make. I see so many people who let their dogs into their bedrooms and onto their bedding. What the feck is wrong with these people?

There is also the 'dog smell', which owners can't fathom, but it's pretty grim. It's a bit like the smoker who pops out for a fag, and then gets in the lift.

“People who own dogs are often oblivious to the stench they make.” I’ll have you know I have a shower everyday so no problem there, my dog smells sweet as well. You want stench? Try the West Upper on match day when someone drops one after consuming umpteen pints of Harvey’s and a spicy curry from the night before. :sick:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Dogs should not be allowed in, I would also add that they should be banned from all forms of public transport. (Obviously assistance dogs exempt)

Last Saturday I almost stepped on a small dog sitting on the busy tube carriage floor.

Absolutely bonkers.

WHY should a dog not be allowed on a bus ?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
A colleague has a gorgeous 6 year old border collie, he’s lovely and I’m not normally that into dogs (but always kind to them).

They take him to pub restaurants in their part of north Sussex, where he’s usually the centre of attention.

But they don’t allow him to wander off and sniff other tables food.

He doesn’t go to proper posh restaurants such as Gravetye Manor.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
We have 2 golden retrievers and they will always come to pubs with us (as long as they allow dogs). Most pubs, around us, will allow dogs in the bar area but not in the restaurant area which I agree with! My boys are very pub friendly and happy to lay on the floor off the lead with no issues. We will actively seek out dog friendly pubs, which in the new forest isn’t hard!

Golden Retrievers are special though. Monty Don’s Nigel and Nellie are stars.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
People who own dogs are often oblivious to the stench they make. I see so many people who let their dogs into their bedrooms and onto their bedding. What the feck is wrong with these people?

There is also the 'dog smell', which owners can't fathom, but it's pretty grim. It's a bit like the smoker who pops out for a fag, and then gets in the lift.
If you met your girlfriend in Wetherspoons then yes you have a point about the bedding.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Went in the Old Bike Store in Worthing for a pint with our mutt last weekend where they’re were 3 really noisy toddlers doing my nut in. My dog was not happy with the din. Luckily they left after 10 minutes or I would have.

I was in the Duke a little while back, 2 kids running around screaming, tried stroking the dog but he wasn't too pleased, I asked them to be gentle etc, but could see the dog wasn't enjoying it, kids tore off bellowing. Landlord looked at me, then told the kids father to shut them up, send them outside or piss off.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
We were in the red lion, a brilliant pub in handcross on Sunday and had a lovely bowl of vegetable soup and bread, which was just a whole heap of vegetables in a stock...nom nom nom

Anyway the memsahib and me sphere sat at a pub table in the bar with a Labrador and a pub with the couple right next to us.

No problem with it ..

Just as well you don't frequent the Hare & Hounds in my village then, they don't allow dogs into the main restaurant. Although you can eat from one of the tables in the bar area, to which dogs are permitted.

The Hare & Hounds is actually a very popular dog friendly pub, simply that they give the choice as to whether customers want to eat wth them around or not.

Seems the perfect solution to me.

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
Obviously a point on which we ,as any group of people are divided . Personally I have no objection to dogs in cafes and pubs. I have not witnessed one being noisy or disruptive. Caffè Nero for example is dog friendly and causes no problem and seems to get good business from that policy.
Someone said:-

Dogs are absolutely fine in their place and well controlled, but that isn't always the case alas.”

I would say the same for young children ....

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Had a week in Conwy back end of August and there are lot more places that welcome 'well behaved' dogs. Stands to reason that if you do take your dog to one of these places and they bark or don't settle then you do the decent thing and leave.

Have to say it's a welcome development because if you take your dog on holiday with you it can be quite restrictive.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Seems to me that the main pastimes of dogs are sniffing other dogs' bums and sniffing lampposts where other dogs have peed. And then you want them hanging around pubs and restaurants. No thank you.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Have never even thought about taking our dog into a shop, and even less about taking it into a restaurant. Apart from anything, why would anyone even want to take a dog to a restaurant :shrug:

I do take her into my local pub though, but make sure I keep her on the lead and don't let her wander round the pub annoying people.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Seems to me that the main pastimes of dogs are sniffing other dogs' bums and sniffing lampposts where other dogs have peed. And then you want them hanging around pubs and restaurants. No thank you.
And then they lick their owners face probably having a little chuckle to themselves.

joydivisionovengloves

Aug 10, 2019
N/E Somerset
As a dog lover and owner (observe my avatar!) I am always respectful of any establishment’s rules regarding dogs being allowed, or not, on their premises. I tend to find that most pubs allow dogs and most restaurants don’t. Fair enough, in my opinion.

In my view if the establishment chooses that animals or children are not welcome then that’s their prerogative, they have their reasons. There is a pub close to where I live that does not allow dogs - I don’t go in there, instead I choose a pub that is dog friendly, I spend my money there and therefore they benefit.

NSC in common sense shock .

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here