Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Syria vote Labour demands evidence

martyn20

Unwell but still smiling
Aug 4, 2012
Burgess Hill
Well, they used a home made rocket to fire a low grade chlorine bomb a few months back. Funnily enough, one of the incidents the UN was ALREADY in Syria to investigate at the time of last weeks attack (At the request of Syria I might add). Talking of timing, rather odd that Assad would wait until the worlds eyes are watching then launch an attack don't you think? He quite frankly had nothing to gain, but, everything to lose.

I can only find a comment made by the Russian government about this and they have not yet shown any evidence to back up their accusation that the rebels were responsible for the March 19th attack? Is that what you were referring to.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
...Talking of timing, rather odd that Assad would wait until the worlds eyes are watching then launch an attack don't you think?

you mustn't discount a) "it my country i'll do as i wish" attitude, b) containment of a local problem quickly to avoid losing a position or c) Assad forces going off-piste by themselves.

franks brother

Astonishing isn't it that our leaders are utterly clueless in that Al Qaeda and Sunni extremists backed by an angry Muslim Brotherhood could fill a horrible void once the Assad regime is predictably overthrown. No one really knows how nasty things could get. Shit's happening in Lebanon as well with sectarian killings spilling out there and of course across the border into Turkey. Cameron's made himself look a stupid dick in all this

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
Astonishing isn't it that our leaders are utterly clueless in that Al Qaeda and Sunni extremists backed by an angry Muslim Brotherhood could fill a horrible void once the Assad regime is predictably overthrown. No one really knows how nasty things could get. Shit's happening in Lebanon as well with sectarian killings spilling out there and of course across the border into Turkey. Cameron's made himself look a stupid dick in all this

It's neither fair nor is it correct to say Cameron has made himself look like a "stupid dick". His parents were entirely responsible for that! What's more worrying is not the way he looks but the way he acts. I'm embarrassed that he is our Prime Minister. He is a total Prat. Couldn't run a sweet shop !

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
I heard an 'analyst' on CCN this morning describe the rebels as including Al Qaeda, and Hezbollah.....which was news to me...hope current security 'analysts' have a better grip of whats going on.

franks brother

Awful as it sounds, it's best to let the Middle East clear its own mess. Much as I would love to see the back of archaic religious kingdoms and brutal dictatorships and an era of modernisation over there it has to be achieved by will of its own citizens

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
MPs have rejected possible UK military action against Syrian President Bashar al-Assad's government to deter the use of chemical weapons.

David Cameron said he would respect the defeat of a government motion by 285-272, ruling out joining US-led strikes. After the vote Prime Minster David Cameron said it was clear Parliament did not want action and "the government will act accordingly".

Conservative rebel Douglas Carswell said: "There is not now going to be British military involvement in Syria, but that is a good thing; the system works."

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Was it really necessary that some MP's cheered the result of that vote last night?

Bad taste for sure. I'm pleased with this and I like to think we have learnt from past mistakes. Not against peace keeping action per se, but if we do get involved we need to be bloody sure of the evidence used to support involvement.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Paddy Pantsdown says he "has never felt more depressed and ashamed as I do this morning" over Britain's failure to act in Syria.

I'm sure a lot of people will feel this way. It's a difficult call.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Awful as it sounds, it's best to let the Middle East clear its own mess. Much as I would love to see the back of archaic religious kingdoms and brutal dictatorships and an era of modernisation over there it has to be achieved by will of its own citizens
I tend to agree with this. We can't act all imperialist or as the world's police every single time something happens that we don't like. You'd think we'd have learnt this after the disaster of Iraq. And the Americans NEVER seem to learn - Vietnam was 50 years ago now and they're still at it.

Bad taste for sure. I'm pleased with this and I like to think we have learnt from past mistakes. Not against peace keeping action per se, but if we do get involved we need to be bloody sure of the evidence used to support involvement.
And also, what is the POINT of the UN if it cannot effectively decide what action to take in situations such as this?

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham

I'm sure a lot of people will feel this way. It's a difficult call.

My understanding is that we are not going to get involved militarily even if the UN sanctions it.

It is a very difficult call, but the message that we seem to have conveyed is that whilst we condemn chemical attacks, we do not want to get involved in sorting it out - or in other words, we are going to watch whilst innocent people get gassed. That does not really sit easily with me.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
And also, what is the POINT of the UN if it cannot effectively decide what action to take in situations such as this?

The UN can decide what to do - it's just not as quick as the USA or our government want.

Parliament have now boxed the government into an awkward situation if the UN decide to take action. What if the UN finds that Assad did use the weapons and requests military action - can the UK really be seen to refuse to supply the military staff and hardware to support a UN strike ? It's right that we don't fall into another trap like Iraq but to have completely prevented the UK from even being able to consider military action seems rather short sighted IMO. Then again, the government doesn't have to abide by the wishes of Parliament ( although it would be political suicide to go against its wishes ! ).

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
The UN can decide what to do - it's just not as quick as the USA or our government want.

Parliament have now boxed the government into an awkward situation if the UN decide to take action. What if the UN finds that Assad did use the weapons and requests military action - can the UK really be seen to refuse to supply the military staff and hardware to support a UN strike ? It's right that we don't fall into another trap like Iraq but to have completely prevented the UK from even being able to consider military action seems rather short sighted IMO. Then again, the government doesn't have to abide by the wishes of Parliament ( although it would be political suicide to go against its wishes ! ).

We could just supply military intelligence and help in that way possibly ?

Failing that let Israel go in, that might calm the whole situation down.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Or the Saudis. How about the richest state in the region lifting a finger to protect innocent civilians in its own back yard for a change?
I think you'll find Saudi offensive firepower is best used to suppress it's own people.

Utterly revolting little set up they have there.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
We could just supply military intelligence and help in that way possibly ?

Failing that let Israel go in, that might calm the whole situation down.

It would be rather nice to see Turkey and Israel launch joint attacks !

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Has anyone asked:-

where did Syria get the chemical weapons, or the mean to make them from?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here