Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sven- tactical genius?

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
ok, some of us had a go when he brought on heskey, me included- but, moving gerrard to the left brings up four goals.

well played sven :thumbsup:

saltash seagull

Mar 1, 2004
cornwall
think it was just a coincidence with scholes goal cos he was getting into those positions before that but fair play to sven he changed it and it worked

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
I felt we were more vulnerable after the substitutions

lincs seagull

Feb 25, 2004
boston
With Beckham and Owen out of salts at the moment (althought Beckham did get kicked about the park last night)

Moving Gerrard out wider gave us a lot of quality balls in and did turn the game we looked in control and calm even at one nil down but our defending at set pieces.

Sven got it spot on i have never seen a manager who can just sit and ponder life the way he does during a game i am at home a nervous wreck espically in the first half

well played England more of the same:clap2:

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
saafend_seagull said:
ok, some of us had a go when he brought on heskey, me included- but, moving gerrard to the left brings up four goals.

well played sven :thumbsup:

Did we bring Heskey on ?......

I thought it was King, Vassell and Neville.....:p

Last edited:

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Yorkie said:
I felt we were more vulnerable after the substitutions

couldnt agree more Yorkie . . .we looked well dodgy and conceeded a goal almost immediately. . . . .I'm a firm believer in the 'if it aint broke dont fix it' method

why take off your top performers and leave on the slackers ???

I dont buy the 'resting' argument one bit, these guys are professional athletes FFS!

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
zefarelly said:
couldnt agree more Yorkie . . .we looked well dodgy and conceeded a goal almost immediately. . . . .I'm a firm believer in the 'if it aint broke dont fix it' method

why take off your top performers and leave on the slackers ???

I dont buy the 'resting' argument one bit, these guys are professional athletes FFS!

He HAD to take Rooney off though - he was just one mistimed tackle away from missing the quarter final. Right decision, I think.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
sorry guys I disagree . . . .why should you risk throwing a game away because your players arent disciplined enough not to get booked ? it'll be the same thing against portugal ???

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
zefarelly said:
sorry guys I disagree . . . .why should you risk throwing a game away because your players arent disciplined enough not to get booked ?

Surely, given the victory, Sven has shown to be correct...

zefarelly said:
it'll be the same thing against portugal ???

With existing yellow cards being wiped out as we enter the knock-out phase, do you think that is the case?

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Bozza said:
Surely, given the victory, Sven has shown to be correct...

With existing yellow cards being wiped out as we enter the knock-out phase, do you think that is the case?

bet you wherent sitting comfortably when it went to 3-2 ???

I didnt know that, I wonder why they do that . . . .seems inconsistent with fair play etc if you ask me

Comedy Steve

We're f'ing brilliant
Oct 20, 2003
BN6
maybe it's in order to progress further in the competition?

Sound tactical moves by Sven as far as I can see :cool:

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
agreed . . . . re tactics . . .but Fifa make a big thing out of the fair play award etc so you'd have thought that keeping it clean would be a priority for players rather than knowing they can clatter a few people and all the bookings will get dropped ?

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
The way that Rooney's playing we must be careful about taking him off. Yesterday, and last Sunday against France, we gave a massive psychological boost to our opponents. It's no coincidence that 3 of the 4 goals we've conceded have been with Rooney off the pitch.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Sven came up with a good bit of psychology re. putting on Phil Neville for the final 15 mins, exorcising the ghosts of 4 years ago when he cost England at the very same stage vs. Romania.

It was predictable that Scholes and Rooney would come off after the third goal, and I think Sven got this right.

However, we need to work on our defence. 3-1 up with 20-odd minutes to go it should all be over.

And I still would be happier with King rather than Terry...

Koaste

Jun 18, 2004
BN3
Are you sure cards get wiped out now? I thought Rooney et al will still be on them against Portugal....

Eggman

Jul 8, 2003
West Sussex
Yes, cards are wiped out.

It was a good move by Sven, its not all about 'keeping it clean' the way some of the refs are flashing cards in this tournament it isn't worth the risk........Although Collina doesn't come under this category though, granted.

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
Portugal have one of their players (Pauletta?) suspended on Thursday for a second yellow he picked up against Spain. So it was probably a good move to take off those on a card.

rool

Jul 10, 2003
Jim D said:
Portugal have one of their players (Pauletta?) suspended on Thursday for a second yellow he picked up against Spain. So it was probably a good move to take off those on a card.

Unforunately I think that may work in their favour as Gomes will probably start and he has looked more dangerous

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here