Jul 9, 2003
Brighton
[yt]3Fq5J1lJTjs[/yt]

What a great songwriter she was. Never tire of this:falmerspi

Last edited by a moderator:

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Saw her live once, unexpectedly - was on in the "non mainstream" tent at a festival I was wandering around, was very very good. The mp3 sound compression system is specifically tuned to her voice, Tom's Diner was the sample track actually.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
No no I quite believe you (sorry wasn't taking the piss) - it just made me laugh that you would know about such trival sound/techno related things! :lol::lol:

I'm a DJ and a programmer who's spent four years unsuccessfully trying to combine the two... have read a lot of stuff on compression tech specs!

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
now then MYOB, that really is fascinating.
Is that vinyl DJing or digital? Or both? 2 technics and a laptop.

I've worked off vinyl and currently use CDJs, used to use "vertical" CD decks (denon, erm, dn1000s I think - they're in my parents house in Donegal now). I've tried using software but all the available stuff is either designed for serious level live work - Ableton - or kiddies who get to play the chart in a local pub - mixmeister (even the name doesn't inspire confidence in me...).

Problem with vinyl is track availabilty and cost. If you play as rarely as I get to these days keeping up with the latest stuff ends up costing you most of what you earn, as you're looking at up to a tenner a track after shipping vs. 2 quid for a 320k download from beatport.

I've worked laptop + decks, both CD and vinyl, a few times though. Have a high end output interface on the laptop, an Echo Indigo.

medicine man

Jan 22, 2004
by the sea
Yeah, I know what you mean. I used to DJ quite a bit- now very rare.

I did find that playing stuff that wasn't too popular, and thus played to death, it meant that I could play the same tracks years later, and they still sound fresh. As music is fairly cyclical- you could DJ from the same box time after time.

I always prefer the hands on feel of vinyl, nudging in samples, scratching etc. I know cd's can do this- it's just not the same.
Old skool I guess.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here