Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sussex Non League Footballers

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I was thinking today that on the face of it this is the strongest the non league teams in Sussex have ever been, certainly in my memory, and yet with the exception of Doug Loft who hasn't exactly done anything yet we have yet to see anybody come through from a Sussex non league team and do well for the Albion in recent years.

Is this because our youth set up is so much better now so that we get all the good players straight off, or because the leap from non league to league is just to big or because we are not making best use of the pool of players at local clubs?

Timbo

Jul 5, 2003
Hassocks
Certainly with Lewes and Boro, most of their big names have had a stab at league football and not cut it, either with us or with other lower league clubs (ie Armstong and Ramsey). There aren't a great deal of exceptionally talented youngsters in their sides who could go on and do something a few divisions higher. We had a look at Leon Legge at Lewes as did quite a few other clubs. I think the step up is huge despite it only being 3 divisions.

As with the Premiership clubs rarely buying from lower leagues nowadays. With the improved (or more agressive?) youth schemes at clubs, young players find their level at a very early age now. Clubs cover their backs, the only way for youngsters at clubs is down now. Clubs take on players even if their is only the slightest chance they may be good enough.

hornet

Mar 9, 2005
Horsham
From experience of our side, I think it is a case of having a group of players who have played together for the team for a while (with a few additions) who are playing well now as a team. I could only think of one or two in our team who league clubs may take a gamble on but there really aren't any exceptional players as such.

I would imagine that this is a similar story at Eastbourne Borough, they have a fair few players who have been together for a while now and have gelled nicely.

Lewes are the exception in that after a couple of seasons of revolving doors, they finally seem to have a settled team of good players and are reaping the rewards this season.

Voice of Reason

Jan 7, 2006
Hailsham
I was really impressed with Lewes against Eastbourne on Boxing Day. The quality of football was good - the Lewes centre half was excellent as well as the full back who, IMO, was unfairly sent off.

Lewes have a dozen players with experience (not necessarily at First Team level) of playing at League Clubs. They don't go raiding the Sussex County League for promising youngsters. They seem to have built their success on players whose careers might best be described as tumbling downwards to find the level where they can really succeed.

Steve Williams
Position: Goalkeeper
D.O.B.: 21/04/83
Previous Clubs: Wycombe, Forest Green

Ian Simpemba
Position: Defence
D.O.B.: 28/03/83
Previous Clubs: Wycombe, Aldershot, Woking, Crawley

Lewis Hamilton
D.O.B.: 21/11/84
Previous Clubs: Derby County, Aldershot

Anthony Barness
D.O.B.: 25/02/73
Previous Clubs: Plymouth, Bolton, Charlton, Southend, Middlesborough, Chelsea, Grays

Jay Conroy
D.O.B.: 02/03/86
Previous Clubs: Crystal Palace, Canvey Island, Chelmsford City

Paul Kennett
Position: Midfield
D.O.B.: 16/09/78
Previous Clubs: Brighton, Worthing

Ian Selley
D.O.B.: 14/06/74
Previous Clubs: Arsenal, Fulham, Wimbledon, Southend, Woking

Tom Davis
D.O.B.: 17/02/84
Previous Clubs: Fulham, St Albans, Ebbsfleet

Simon Wormull
D.O.B.: 01/12/76
Previous Clubs: Stevenage, Rushden, Dover, Brighton, Crawley Town

Jamie Cade
Position: Forward
D.O.B.: 15/01/84
Previous Clubs: Middlesborough, Colchester Utd, Crawley

Matt Groves
D.O.B.: 17/04/80
Previous Clubs: Portsmouth, Dorchester Town

Jean-Michel Sigere
D.O.B.: 26/01/77
Previous Clubs: Bordeaux, Rushden and Diamonds, Margate, Gravesend and Northfleet

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
Lewes have a dozen players with experience (not necessarily at First Team level) of playing at League Clubs. They don't go raiding the Sussex County League for promising youngsters. They seem to have built their success on players whose careers might best be described as tumbling downwards to find the level where they can really succeed.

trouble is lewes can afford to pay those players, whereas most others cant - hence why they have to raid the county league for cheaper options

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I didn't realise Lewes had that fella who started at Bordeaux. That consitutes an interesting career path - still, at least there's some decent vineyards not too far away.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Lewis Hamilton has got some pace.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Not at the moment he hasn't
Fell of a ladder putting up a plasma screen and fell through a glass table:tosser:
Must have dived

I think that Herr Tubthumper's comment might have been a joke relating to the famous namesake of the Lewes player in question.

Boroseagull

Aug 23, 2003
Alhaurin de la Torre
[QUOTE

Jean-Michel Sigere
Previous Clubs: Bordeaux, Rushden and Diamonds, Margate, Gravesend and Northfleet[/QUOTE]

missed out Stevenage Boro!

Peter Taylors Red & White army!

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
[QUOTE

Jean-Michel Sigere
Previous Clubs: Bordeaux, Rushden and Diamonds, Margate, Gravesend and Northfleet

missed out Stevenage Boro!

Peter Taylors Red & White army![/QUOTE]

On loan at HORSHAM I believe.

I have said it before, I will say it again, Brighton should be looking at Lee Carney of Horsham. Class midfielder.

sagaman

Dec 25, 2005
Brighton
Interesting that Sussex County Cricket Club do sometimes sign players from the non professional game in Sussex- admittedly the set up is different

Also there have been numerous players that have slipped the net from/ not made the grade from league clubs that have re- entered through the non league route.

Ian Wright is one of the most famouus of a long list of players that have been "discovered" that way. Using a cliche perhaps a plyer from Lewes or elsewhere could be more hungry given a second chance?

My feeling is that Lord Bracknell has a point and the Albion, as a cash strapped club, should be open minded re recruitment from other Sussex clubs.

My feeling is that Lord Bracknell has a point and the Albion, as a cash strapped club, should be open minded re recruitment from other Sussex clubs.

If I have a point, it's that Lewes owe their success to recruiting from higher up the pyramid. The Albion should be doing the same. There are plenty of players kicking their heels, playing reserve team football for Championship (and even Premiership) clubs. I'd rather look there than other Sussex clubs.

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
But thosse players from higher leagues, esp Prem, rake in too much money to take that drop in wages. For many money is more important than the game.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here