Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sussex County Football League.

Paxton Dazo

Up The Spurs.
Mar 11, 2007
Does anybody know the format of this? I was just browsing the website [http://www.scfl.org.uk/] and was looking at the League Table, and was just curious. I know whoever goes up, goes into the Ryman PL, which is one League below the Conference South.

Looks like Horsham YMCA are favourites to win the league.

But how many teams go up? Is there a play-offs?

Cheers.

:thumbsup:

Timbo

Jul 5, 2003
Hassocks
Oh right, thank you. So you actually HAVE to win the Sussex County League to win promotion?

You can finish second I believe but promotion isn't automatic. Horsham YMCA are the only side (near the top anyway) with a ground that would qualify for Ryman league football. However, the 3 most recent teams to go up have suffered, Burgess Hill, Eastbourne Town and especially Crowborough.

YMCA need to win their last 3 games (against the 3 bottom teams) to win it. Eastbourne United have thrown it away recently.

Paxton Dazo

Up The Spurs.
Mar 11, 2007
You can finish second I believe but promotion isn't automatic. Horsham YMCA are the only side (near the top anyway) with a ground that would qualify for Ryman league football. However, the 3 most recent teams to go up have suffered, Burgess Hill, Eastbourne Town and especially Crowborough.

YMCA need to win their last 3 games (against the 3 bottom teams) to win it. Eastbourne United have thrown it away recently.

Oh right, thank you. It's Eastbourne Assn anyway.

So if YMCA came 5th, and the 4 teams above them grounds wern't good enough, they'd go up?:ohmy:

Timbo

Jul 5, 2003
Hassocks
Oh right, thank you. It's Eastbourne Assn anyway.

So if YMCA came 5th, and the 4 teams above them grounds wern't good enough, they'd go up?:ohmy:

If you want to be really picky its Eastbourne United Association!!:)

No I think they'll only be considered if they're in the top 2. Even then they will have to apply at some point. Another factor I think is who finishes bottom of the Ryman South. This year its Crowborough but if the bottom team would go to the Combined Counties league then it all gets very untidy.

Timbo

Jul 5, 2003
Hassocks
How did Crowborough suffer? They weren't even a gate-taking club when I left Sussex in 1979, when Haywards Heath were one of the biggest clubs.

Crowborough pissed the Sussex County league last season but currently sit bottom of Ryman South with a massive 16 points. Travelling, players losing interest in all the training, referees and lino's costing more than you're taking on the gate, ending up playing a load of kids and getting thrashed every week. Arthur knows more about Crowboroughs plight than me to be honest though.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
How did Crowborough suffer? They weren't even a gate-taking club when I left Sussex in 1979, when Haywards Heath were one of the biggest clubs.

Their primary backer pulled out so the playing budget was reduced by a third and then to nothing when the club realised they couldn't even support that.

Both instances caused a mass walk out players (especially the latter), hence why they've not even got close to competing this season.

It will be shame if they drop right through the leagues again but it wouldn't surprise me if it happened. Going to be the best ground in county 3 by a mile!

Paxton Dazo

Up The Spurs.
Mar 11, 2007
I've heard Horsham are groundsharing with YM' next season too! :)

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Crowborough pissed the Sussex County league last season but currently sit bottom of Ryman South with a massive 16 points. Travelling, players losing interest in all the training, referees and lino's costing more than you're taking on the gate, ending up playing a load of kids and getting thrashed every week. Arthur knows more about Crowboroughs plight than me to be honest though.

Getting thrashed every week is a little harsh, but the rest is pretty much on the button.

That said the load of kids beat Cray Wanderers (currently 2nd) 1-0 at the weekend and have run Worthing (5th) and Met Police (4th) very close in recent weeks. We just don't mention the two 8 goal reverses (or the 6, but that was against top of the table Kingstonian) :thumbsup:

Albion 4ever

Feb 26, 2009
Horsham can only ground share with Horsham YMCA if YMCA get promoted. SCFL do not allow ground sharing, whereas Ryman League do.

Albion 4ever

Feb 26, 2009
Withdean did play in the CCL... Not sure why. I think it was considered a higher standard than SCFL before the restructuring of the football pyramid meant that it is now at the same level.
Could be wrong though!!!

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
Withdean did play in the CCL... Not sure why. I think it was considered a higher standard than SCFL before the restructuring of the football pyramid meant that it is now at the same level.
Could be wrong though!!!

partly due to the ground sharing issue i believe, and it may have had something to do with alan pook believing it would be easier to get out of and into the ryman. clubs CAN get shifted around without having much say in the matter as well. for example, if burgess hill had have joined crowborough in getting relegated back into the county, and no teams had gone into the ryman, then there was a possibility that one of the surrey based clubs in the county league - either redhill or lingfield - would have been moved into the combined counties league

the ground grading issues are going to cause major problems soon, as the fa have decided that to play at the step in the pyramid that county one is currently at you HAVE to have a 150 seater stand at the very least - there are very few clubs currently that qualify for this, and as such half the league could end up being relegated regardless of league position

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here