Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Surviving Gazza

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
Read his book, was so depressed afterwards that I can't bear to watch him battling his illness on a documentary. So no, won't be watching. It's too sad. Good luck Paul, you deserve some peace mate.:thumbsup:

Read his book, was so depressed afterwards that I can't bear to watch him battling his illness on a documentary. So no, won't be watching. It's too sad. Good luck Paul, you deserve some peace mate.:thumbsup:

Why does he deserve some peace if he's the one who has caused all the misery? And don't give me that "alcoholism is a disease" crap - it's nothing more than a selfish, self-inflicted condition.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Why does he deserve some peace if he's the one who has caused all the misery? And don't give me that "alcoholism is a disease" crap - it's nothing more than a selfish, self-inflicted condition.

Well in his case at least it isn't. He seems to have had a number of mental health issues since a child.

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England

youre wrong IMO, if you watched that youd see hes got some bad issues and cant help hinself. really horrible viewing. Sherryl seemed to be almost enjoying/exploiting I thought, though his oldest kid seemed like a good lad
sad

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003

Blimey, I sincerely hope you never suffer manic or clinical depression. It literally kills people.

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
It is easy to think it's all self inflicted but, sadly, chances are you will know somebody fairly close who will succumb to the demon drink and it's really not very nice for all concerned.

It's a hell of a battle to beat it but some do. It's a hell of a battle to be a supporting friend/familly in an often thankless task.

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
youre wrong IMO, if you watched that youd see hes got some bad issues and cant help hinself. really horrible viewing. Sherryl seemed to be almost enjoying/exploiting I thought, though his oldest kid seemed like a good lad
sad

I thought Sheryl came across as a person who cared greatly about her ex actually & was going through the painful process of finally putting the welfare of herself & her kids first. How the f*** she put up with all that shit from him for so long - God only knows. I found the programme interesting, but was reaching for the booze half way through (ironically). What a really sad state of affairs all round. :(

People here seem to think his alcoholism is caused by his mental illness, whereas vice versa is the reality. 25 years ago in my circle of friends there was a heavy-drinking guy with a cast-iron stomach who drank a pint of shorts (all mixed together; they like mixed in Mansfield!) that we had all bought for him on his 21st birthday. I still remember vividly how it was passed round the table so we could all sample a sip of the lethal concoction. He downed it in one go, and amazingly didn't throw up; it also took over half an hour for him to pass out. I have recently been told by two or three of these former drinking partners that he has gone "do-lally", as we say in these parts.

Last edited:

Twinkle Toes

Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
I think 'Gazza' has that many personal demons, I'd defy anybody to actually know how to start helping him quite honestly. Perhaps thereby lies the actual problem: he has to want to help himself.

I honestly hope I'm completely wrong, but I can't see him being in the land of the living for much longer.

Twinkle Toes

Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
There are people out there who can help you, TT :lolol:

I know, I know. The trouble is, I'd have to go up the road & get some more booze in though innit & it's about -60 now, Hoveside. I might just have to have a cuppla largish tots of Surgical Spirit before I rest my weary head.. :thumbsup:

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)
I watched the programme, it was very powerfull, also seeing it from the family's side of things is such a differant perspective.

Of course the majority of what we think we know about the situation is ofton just what the gutter press want to tell us, it is never a true reflection of the sad situation.

I have not quoted it, but Freddie Goodwins comments above are, In my opinion, very wise words indeed, we do have a 29 year old son who has major problems due to alcohol, and the hurt and distress it causes the family and friends is very great indeed.

Brixtaan

Jul 7, 2003
Border country.East Preston.
Very sad,all dads should be made to watch this. i blame Chris Evans

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)
Very sad,all dads should be made to watch this. i blame Chris Evans

I honestly don't think you can just blame Chris Evans, there were so many hangers on when he was at the top of his celeb status, I mean wheres his supposed mate "Jimmy 5 bellys" (probably inside !!) but there were so many who encoraged him to drink, but at the time they were probably not aware he had a major problem, and nor was Gazza come to that !

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here