Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Support from a Reading fan

Lush

Mods' Pet
This letter writing campaign has been a good reason to get in touch with people. This is part of an e-mail I received back from a friend who is a Reading fan - thought I'd share some of it with y'all.

"I've seen a few bulletins on Meridian and whatnot, but I don't really have much of an insight into how things are going for you, I can only wish you luck - I printed out a QPR-flavoured version of "my" letter for my dad the other day, and we posted that off, too.
_
He agrees with me - it is, as Fred Kite might have said, the thin end of the wedge... it's depressing enough watching the Premiership hoovering all the money out of the game leaving clubs like York, etc. in peril.
_
And of course, Tony Blair has disappointed me beyond measure, being a lavender-pink Mrs T - he hasn't set destroying the national game as high on his agenda as it was on hers, but I see little done to preserve it, and I count myself very lucky that Madejski (prospective Conservative candidate as he may have been) has kept pumping money into RFC, otherwise we'd have gone bust a long time ago - how many clubs now are there or thereabouts?
_
Prescott and his Jaguars does nothing to inspire me either - I'm not proud of thinking it might be better for us all had one of the ships he'd been on sunk...
_
Ah, but I am a cynical and bitter old man.
_
But I feel now as I did when I last visited the Goldstone Ground (with you) - holding the red card aloft to the board, and someone (who'd obviously spotted that I was a Reading fan) asked me why I was protesting. Simple - while I'm always going to be happier if Reading beat Brighton when the two teams meet, I do like the idea that the two teams meet.
_
In fact, even Swindon, Oxford - nay, even Aldershot - should be in good enough health to lay down meekly before the hoops when we clash in the league.
_
But if the 92 clubs of the football league are distilled, 5-10-15 years from now, down to Man U, Arsenal, Chelsea and RFC,_I wouldn't enjoy that at all, and (RFC, aside) that's where we're headed isn't it?

...all the best."
_

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
That's it Lush, we're definitely sitting with the Reading fans on Saturday!

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
The Reading fans on the Hob Knob board have been supportive

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here