Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Supernova remnants

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
It is a subject that if you allow it to can fascinate....time and space are truly an awesome phenomenon-thanks for sharing.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
It is a subject that if you allow it to can fascinate....time and space are truly an awesome phenomenon-thanks for sharing.

De nada - I follow NASA on twitter and always look at the image of the day. I love the subject of Astronomy and astro-physics - not that I know too much about it.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
De nada - I follow NASA on twitter and always look at the image of the day. I love the subject of Astronomy and astro-physics - not that I know too much about it.

So much out there that it's frightening,when then pointed Hubble at a previously thought of quiet,dark area of space,what did they see? An area of Galaxies literately colliding into each other..

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
So much out there that it's frightening,when then pointed Hubble at a previously thought of quiet,dark area of space,what did they see? An area of Galaxies literately colliding into each other..

The numbers and distances involved are truly mind-boggling. Imagine if Betelegeuse goes supernova in our lifetime - and it could do so at any time - it will be easily visible during the daytime.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
The numbers and distances involved are truly mind-boggling. Imagine if Betelegeuse goes supernova in our lifetime - and it could do so at any time - it will be easily visible during the daytime.

I'm no expert either,but that's a Red giant i think? that would be quite something especially if we see something in our daily skies other than the Moon and the Sun.

Perhaps it already has,we just can't see it yet..

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
I'm no expert either,but that's a Red giant i think? that would be quite something especially if we see something in our daily skies other than the Moon and the Sun.

Perhaps it already has,we just can't see it yet..

640 light years away, so possibly.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast

simmo

Feb 8, 2008
Me to, may I recommend if you haven't seen it "Beyond the Cosmos" on Discovery (I think, if not one of the 52x numbers on Sky). Most programmes on this subject I tend to find a bit dry (too many equations that us mere mortals can't understand) and very complicated, this tends to try and make a difficult subject a bit more easier. Last night it was multiverses and it was very interesting and mind boggling, if that is your thing.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Very nice. I fancy a trip to the observatory in Herstmonceux on Saturday, for an evening with the planets.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Very nice. I fancy a trip to the observatory in Herstmonceux on Saturday, for an evening with the planets.

Sounds like fun - I have never looked at the sky through a proper telescope. I reckon I could spend a long time just looking at the moon.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I follow NASA on twitter and always look at the image of the day.
Good call, just added. (I'm not much of a twitterer)
Imagine if Betelegeuse goes supernova in our lifetime - and it could do so at any time - it will be easily visible during the daytime.
I can't put into words how amazing that would be. But I think it would be wrong to wish for the destruction of another star.

Scientists are wondering whether it could happen in our lifetime, but I assume what they really mean is, it could have happened 600 years ago, we're waiting to see.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Good call, just added. (I'm not much of a twitterer)

Neither am I, but I now follow about 25 people, NASA was one of the first I added.

I can't put into words how amazing that would be. But I think it would be wrong to wish for the destruction of another star.

Scientists are wondering whether it could happen in our lifetime, but I assume what they really mean is, it could have happened 600 years ago, we're waiting to see.

Me wanting to see it, isn't really going to affect it methinks (it's not personal) - it's going to (or has) happen anyway. Whether I'll be around to see it, is another matter.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea

It can be difficult to comprehend the vastness of it all.

I had to think carefully when venus and saturn were one above the other last week when all of the planet maps I have ever look at show they are either side of the earth :dunce:

fly high

Aug 25, 2011
in a house
see something in our daily skies other than the Moon and the Sun...

night time as the mo you can see venus in the west with bigger, brighter saturn above it. In the east large red light is mars. Apart from venus I don't usually know where the other planets are, just lucky at the mo they are so prominent.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I had to think carefully when venus and saturn were one above the other last week when all of the planet maps I have ever look at show they are either side of the earth :dunce:
Why the dunce hat? That confuses the shit out of me.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Sounds like fun - I have never looked at the sky through a proper telescope. I reckon I could spend a long time just looking at the moon.
I went 6 months ago, expecting them to see through the breaks in the cloud, but if it's cloudy they don't open up the scopes, as they won't risk them getting rained on - call first to check. The moon rises at about mid-day on Saturday, so you can get a good look before Jupiter appears in the night at about 7.30. I'm fascinated by it all, but as yet I've done very little to learn or see much.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here