Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Supermarkets - what price Cheap food?

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Just started on BBC1. This looks interesting.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Cows and pigs going the same way.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
I do feel sorry for the farmers being put out of business by the supermarkets. One farmer said that consumers would be prepared to pay more. I'm not sure. I guess some would, some wouldn't. It's like Free Range chickens. Most people would prefer to eat them but not everyone can afford the extra cost.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
This has been raked over before, the big problem is after every little protest like Hugh F-W's protest against battery chicken farming, it all goes back to normal because we want cheap food.

It really won't be long before we are eating Soylent Green, Lord help us !

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Hugh F W usually has a vested interest. (He wants to sell his products).

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Hugh F W usually has a vested interest. (He wants to sell his products).

Not sure if H F-W is going to make much money selling his stuff from River Cottage... I think he makes more from TV and books

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
I do feel sorry for the farmers being put out of business by the supermarkets. One farmer said that consumers would be prepared to pay more. I'm not sure. I guess some would, some wouldn't. It's like Free Range chickens. Most people would prefer to eat them but not everyone can afford the extra cost.

Re: Free Range Chickens
Most people choose not to eat them (about 90%) but most people (about 90%) could afford them, but would rather turn a blind eye and forget what they are eating.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Depressing programme, the same arguments been gone over again and again and again.

I've been reading books on this subject for years and nothing seems to change.

I'm on mission now to try and buy my milk knowing that a farmer hasn't had the piss taken out of him making it.

Free Range Chickens are much better. I'm not bought on the organic argument but chickens that's been running around and not bred to grow too fast are simply better. Those 2.99 chickens taste like shit.

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
Most people choose not to eat them (about 90%) but most people (about 90%) could afford them, but would rather turn a blind eye and forget what they are eating.

Well, I'd happily choose free-range if it was within my budget but, quite frankly, it isn't and I get the distinct impression that there is more than a little price gouging going on around these sort of things.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Well, I'd happily choose free-range if it was within my budget but, quite frankly, it isn't and I get the distinct impression that there is more than a little price gouging going on around these sort of things.

Lidl sell them but they sell out very fast.

So much for the "no demand" argument. ASDA is often empty of them as well.

I'd go as far to say that demand for free range chicken outstrips demand.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
Lidl sell them but they sell out very fast.

So much for the "no demand" argument. ASDA is often empty of them as well.

I'd go as far to say that demand for free range chicken outstrips demand.

Asda are in denial about organic food and healthy living in general. It's like shopping in the eighties.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
depends on your recipe and how you cook 'em.

I wouldn't bother wasting my frankly excellent cooking skills on shit like that.

Your choice. I'm sure a turd is passable to some if wrapped in filo.

I'd rather spend the money on some quality vegetables.

Last edited:

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath

I think you (have nearly) hit the nail on the head there. After Hugh F W's last program, I was in a supermarket and people wanted to buy free range but weren't prepared to pay near £7 for a chicken. I say nearly because I think 90% of people affording them is slightly on the high side. A lot of families are on very tight budgets.

Getting back to the program. It looks as if we will not only have 4 "super" supermarkets but we will soon only have a few "super" farms. I'm not making judgement because these are hard times, a lot of people can not afford to make choices. I have never been swayed by organic foods. I haven't been convinced that GM foods are wrong. The face of the High Street is definitely changing. Not convinced for the better but that's consumerism for you.

Interesting point about the "Bribes" that the big 4 pay to get their stores built. Was it really £150 MILLION that one was paying to build a superstore in Gateshead?

I was wondering if that was right but there again I am more than happy to take AMEX's money for Falmer.

zoogull

zoogull
May 29, 2008
Herstmonceux
My wife and run our own business selling jams, chutneys, sauces etc. We don't use any preservatives, except for sugar, and our 'whole fruit' approach is very popular with people who don't mind paying a little extra than the supermarket because they say they can taste our product. There is a groundswell beginning to move back towards the small retailer, and we need to support it.

We've recently managed to find a retailer to sell our product in Brighton: 'Grocer and Grain' in Surrey Street. So far sales are encouraging and he's already re-ordered. We try to use fruit and veg from farmers and smallholders in the local area as far as possible, as well as local wholesalers, to try to keep the money in the local area. We also trade at Lewes Food Market every Friday morning in the Market Tower, and tomorrow we are at Hove Market in George Street. If you are in the area come and give us a try! We also have a web site: 'mrsyorksjams.co.uk.'

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I think you (have nearly) hit the nail on the head there. After Hugh F W's last program, I was in a supermarket and people wanted to buy free range but weren't prepared to pay near £7 for a chicken. I say nearly because I think 90% of people affording them is slightly on the high side. A lot of families are on very tight budgets.

Getting back to the program. It looks as if we will not only have 4 "super" supermarkets but we will soon only have a few "super" farms. I'm not making judgement because these are hard times, a lot of people can not afford to make choices. I have never been swayed by organic foods. I haven't been convinced that GM foods are wrong. The face of the High Street is definitely changing. Not convinced for the better but that's consumerism for you.

Interesting point about the "Bribes" that the big 4 pay to get their stores built. Was it really £150 MILLION that one was paying to build a superstore in Gateshead?

I was wondering if that was right but there again I am more than happy to take AMEX's money for Falmer.

I'm not sold on the organic argument to be honest, but the "extra money" that appears when supermarkets wish to build a new one is 100% correct.

My wife is a planning solicitor and has pointed out a number of things to me in the past that I wouldn't necessarily be aware of.

To give an example, we noticed a new being planned and she pointed out to me that it would necessarily be a surprise if the surrounding pavements were magically upgraded at the same time.

I have no idea who paid for it, but she was bang on.

I was complaining on here a few years ago that Sainsbury's had a large supermarket and gained permission for a small one literally metres away on the same side of the road of the road in Clapham.

Such is the power of NSC I received a PM from someone claiming to represent them !

I questioned them and they readily admitted they felt they were losing trade from a small number of independent stores, particularly from people exiting one of the tube stations.

They now have strangle hold over the food shopping in that area and frankly I've glad I moved a little further away because I could get away from using them either.

Luckily (now living in Balham) I've got the choice of shopping in Tooting for vegetables, herbs and spices at the excellent Indian markets down there that are also open all hours.

Much better quality and significantly cheaper.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
My wife and run our own business selling jams, chutneys, sauces etc. We don't use any preservatives, except for sugar, and our 'whole fruit' approach is very popular with people who don't mind paying a little extra than the supermarket because they say they can taste our product. There is a groundswell beginning to move back towards the small retailer, and we need to support it.

We've recently managed to find a retailer to sell our product in Brighton: 'Grocer and Grain' in Surrey Street. So far sales are encouraging and he's already re-ordered. We try to use fruit and veg from farmers and smallholders in the local area as far as possible, as well as local wholesalers, to try to keep the money in the local area. We also trade at Lewes Food Market every Friday morning in the Market Tower, and tomorrow we are at Hove Market in George Street. If you are in the area come and give us a try! We also have a web site: 'mrsyorksjams.co.uk.'

Cheers, I'll be putting in an order after Christmas - but I think it's Mrs York's Jams, Chutneys and Sauces - Home ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here