Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sunday League Football

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
I am currently in the process of writing a sitcom about the life and times of a sunday league football side. I have written the pilot episode which if I say so myself is side splitting stuff. Anybody know of where I can send these to for consideration for tv channels and how they have to be forwarded??

Also anyone got any particularly amusing stories of goings on in Sunday League football that they can share??

All of your help is much appreciated.

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
seen pretty basic run of the mill stuff mainly, people chundering on the pitch, fights usually between team mates I must add. Also seen players racking up lines at half time.
Sounds a top idea for a sitcom actually as the whole idea is quite broad.

Last edited:

Hatterlovesbrighton

something clever
Jul 28, 2003
Not Luton! Thank God
crodonilson said:
I am currently in the process of writing a sitcom about the life and times of a sunday league football side. I have written the pilot episode which if I say so myself is side splitting stuff. Anybody know of where I can send these to for consideration for tv channels and how they have to be forwarded??

Also anyone got any particularly amusing stories of goings on in Sunday League football that they can share??

All of your help is much appreciated.

You could always try sending it to the BBC, or have a look on Google for Independent Production Companies.

view

Mar 1, 2006
Eastbourne
we went out on the lash last season and it ended up with one of our players getting taken to the local station, he didnt have the cash on him to pay so we bailed him out to play and score the winner. That story somehow found its way onto the sport argus park life section!

thedonkeycentrehalf

Moved back to wear the gloves (again)
Jul 7, 2003
Aside from the usual throwing up, not turning up, being bricked playing in Whitehawk type stories, the best I've got is this. I've posted this before but here goes.

My old Saturday side used to play against Ford United - the team from Ford Prison in the West Sussex League. The matches were always an experience as they let the lags out to watch the games and the crowd was very close to the touchline. I was a goalkeeper and my team did their bit as we always left a bag of cigarettes in the goal for the opposing keeper to share out after the match. That's the background.

One game we started really badly and were 2-0 down in the first 10 minutes and constantly under pressure. I yelled out to the team "come on lads, play with some conviction" - needless to say the crowd behind my goal were not too pleased with my choice of words and the abuse headed my way made me realise what I had said. To try and make amends I turned to the baying crowd and said "sorry lads, no offence" which didn't help matters much either!

It's fair to say that I didn't say on my line much for the rest of the half.

A couple of other anecdotes for you:

We also used to play Chichester Hospitals in the grounds of Graylingwell mental hospital. They sometimes let the patients out and on a couple of occasions they picked up the ball and ran off with it during the game. None of our blokes were ever too keen to try and get it back.

My old Sunday side suffered our most embarrassing defeat one morning after a party the night before that never really finished. The manager picked us up and was not amused a the case of beer that got packed with the kit. When we got to the ground, the ref came into the dressing room and said "you're alright lads, they've only got 8 men". At this point the crack of an opening can was heard. We managed to lose 3-1 with the last goal being an own goal when a gentle back pass went to our keeper who keeled over and the ball slowly dribbled past him into the net. Our manager cam into the dressing room, described us a pissed and pathetic and then drove off, leaving several of us with no way home.

Finally, the same side played a cup game in Steyning. The opposition ran a couple of sides and their reserves were on the sidelines supporting and were giving out a load of stick to our players. We lost the match and I started to walk off the pitch with a team mate. We suddenly realised we were on our own as the rest of the side had chased after the opposition supporters and were seen jumping the hedge and heading down the road into the town.

We assumed we would get into all sorts of trouble with the league and FA. Our manager couldn't believe it when we received a letter from the opposition manager apologising for the behaviour of his team!

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
A friend of mine had one ball that hung considerably lower than the other one. He sat naked on a the changing room bench after the game, and unbeknown to him, said bollock went betweenthe slats in the bench. Somehow, his teste expanded and when he attempted to stand up, a blood chilling scream was heard for miles around. Much sawing of bench later, he was rushed to A&E with a severely splintered scrote.

Truly the most horrendous thing I've ever seen.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Common as Mook said:
A friend of mine had one ball that hung considerably lower than the other one. He sat naked on a the changing room bench after the game, and unbeknown to him, said bollock went betweenthe slats in the bench. Somehow, his teste expanded and when he attempted to stand up, a blood chilling scream was heard for miles around. Much sawing of bench later, he was rushed to A&E with a severely splintered scrote.

Truly the most horrendous thing I've ever seen.
:lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here