Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Stuart Gray the new manager?

Jul 23, 2003
Brighton look to Gray as Coppell goes to Reading
By Alan Nixon
10 October 2003

Brighton have identified Stuart Gray as their first-choice to succeed Steve Coppell, who has finally decided to take the manager's job at Reading

Coppell has ended prolonged speculation over his future by leaving the Second Division leaders to fill the vacancy at Reading created by Alan Pardew's decision to join West Ham last month.

Gray, who briefly managed Southampton two years ago and also has coaching experience with Aston Villa and Nottingham Forest, has already been in contact with the Brighton chairman, Dick Knight. The Seagulls would also like to speak to Paul Merson, but Gray may be a cheaper option than the Walsall midfielder.

After being unveiled at the Madejski Stadium as Reading's new manager, Coppell said he has joined a club that is "set up for the Premiership". The Royals were beaten by Wolves in last season's First Division play-off semi-finals and before Pardew's controversial exit were second in the table.

"I can't guarantee success, and the supporters will need patience," Coppell warned. "The clichés are true, it really is one game at a time. This is a tough division because of the prize at the end. Reading came so close to the Premiership last season. You could say they hit the post and it bounced out.

"The club is set up for the Premiership with a superb stadium and infrastructure," he added. "I knew about the situation at Reading because Alan Pardew is a good footballing friend of mine. He still is. I signed him from non-league football so we have a relationship that goes back a long way."

Reading have managed one win in six league games since Pardew left but Coppell hopes his opening three fixtures, which are all at home against Gillingham, Preston and Walsall, will see a change in fortunes.

"That looks good but that can bring its own pressures. I think the team has been a little distracted by the turmoil and we have to put them back on track," the 48-year-old said. Coppell, who took over at Brighton last October following the sacking of Martin Hinshelwood, has signed a contract until the end of the 2004-2005 season.

"I am excited by the prospect of taking Reading forward, but anxious about the responsibility," he said. "I am also sad to leave Brighton. It's such a good club, so I have mixed emotions."

The former Crystal Palace, Manchester City and Brentford manager confirmed he will retain all Reading's existing backroom staff. "I have worked with 10 or 11 different sets of backroom staff during my time in football and never had a problem with any of them," he said.

The Reading chairman, John Madejski, apologised for the delay in appointing Coppell. "When I first approached the Brighton chairman, Dick Knight, they had a clutch of games coming up and he did not want Steve distracted," he said. "Then when the time came that we could talk to Steve we had to negotiate the contract. We are delighted we have got him. We have finally got our man."

from: http://sport.independent.co.uk/football/nationwide/story.jsp?story=451742

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
dont know much....no wait thats a lie....I know NOTHING about Stuart Gray so cant comment!

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Well, I remember him as a dreadful player for Aston Villa. Never got a tackle in.

And as Southampton boss he was an unmitigated disaster.

Other than that.....

Come on Dick. We want Dowie..not this jester.

Morning trigger!
wavey.gif

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
just woke up Trigger? hows the snooker looking?

perth seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Stuart Gray was Southampton's equivalent of Martin Hinshelwood. An internal appointment that lead to disaster. Lucky for the Saints, they got rid of Gray fairly early in the season and escaped relegation, unlike us.

marvin

Jul 5, 2003
The corner quietly rusting
He was the manager of Southampton when they played us on Sept 11th 2001.

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
Perth has got it in one!

By all accounts he is a good coach, able to transfer the ideas of the manager to the players in a clear way.

Put him in charge of the whole shooting match however and it all wents tits up for him.

The positive side of things is that he couldn't possibly lash things up that badly again could he............

By the way, he lives about half a mile from me, his wife is a teacher at my daughter's school and his son is in the same year as my son. Just thought I'd let you know!!!!

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
this is the reason we should not appoint booker. gray is a first class coach but not a manager and when soton fired him they lost a great coach.
we dont want booker to go the same way

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
marvin said:
He was the manager of Southampton when they played us on Sept 11th 2001.

I've got a feeling that was the only match they won during his time in charge at the start of that season.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
CrabtreeBHA said:
dont know much....no wait thats a lie....I know NOTHING about Stuart Gray so cant comment!

which really shows what a poor chioce he would be. Chatting about the situation earlier, i couldnt even remember his name dispite having read a post on the matter about 1 hour before.

bigc

Jul 5, 2003
Gray was also manager at the end of the 2000/1 when Hoddle jumped ship to Spurs, and he did well then, which got him the longer contract, then it all went wrong.

according to the font of knowledge this is his summary
From To P W L D

Southampton 30-03-2001 21-10-2001 19 6 11 2

uh-oh..lol

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here