Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Strong Enough Squad?

One Legged Striker

Nov 29, 2009
After todays non eventful news i was wondering, is this so called strong squad really that strong, i think on our day we have a strong 11-12
But other than that do we just have players that can do a job?

( Ie Hart, Baz, Tarrico, Sandaza, Batipiedi, Barnes ) to name a few.

saltash seagull

Mar 1, 2004
cornwall
After todays non eventful news i was wondering, is this so called strong squad really that strong, i think on our day we have a strong 11-12
But other than that do we just have players that can do a job?

( Ie Hart, Baz, Tarrico, Sandaza, Batipiedi, Barnes ) to name a few.
think its a bit harsh to include barnes in that list he might have acted like a spoilt brat on tuesday but he is our top scorer and does work his socks off

on top of the 11 that played on tuesday we do have elphick dunk bridcutt baz sparrow brez jamie smith and muzza so to claim we only have those and 11 is a bit glass empty for me but we could do with a few additions

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
We could do with strengthening, but in this league pretty much every team could say the same. Maybe TB and GP would not pay over the odds, who knows?

FWIW I think we will do ok so long as we can get back to defending at our best :thumbsup:

tonymgc

Banned
May 8, 2010
Drive by abusing
We're four players short of having our ideal squad in my opinion. Cover for Bennett, A left winger & Cover for the full backs.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
Lets be honest about this. Greer and Murray were suspended for the first few games. We lost Navarro for the season, Sparrow got sent off early doors and has been in and out with injurys. Lualua was not here at start of the season and we won at Charlton and Peterbro with him on bench. Players get suspended and come back, Elphick Bridcutt and others spring to mind. Etc etc etc....We are top of the league, four points clear with nearly half the season gone. The fact we did not get anyone today is frustrating but its not the end of the world..We are still the best team in this division and the team they all got to catch and they wont. There is no way Bloom/Poyet are going to let this slip and if come Jan we need someone the money will be there.Ive no doubt about that.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Apart from obviously putting Barnes in that list which is ridiculous I agree the other players aren't strong enough this year. No we don't have a strong enough squad but don't panic January isn't too far off - We'd all rather Gus got the right men then panic buy (as I think he MAY have done with Sandaza)

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Wasnt he freebie out of contract so it is just wages that he cost us?

Yes. Panic buy was meant as a term - doesn't mean they have to cost a fee it means we need to get the right player regardles if they're fre or not.

Reinelt12

Sick Note
Nov 8, 2006
Lichfield, United Kingdom
Lets be honest about this. Greer and Murray were suspended for the first few games. We lost Navarro for the season, Sparrow got sent off early doors and has been in and out with injurys. Lualua was not here at start of the season and we won at Charlton and Peterbro with him on bench. Players get suspended and come back, Elphick Bridcutt and others spring to mind. Etc etc etc....We are top of the league, four points clear with nearly half the season gone. The fact we did not get anyone today is frustrating but its not the end of the world..We are still the best team in this division and the team they all got to catch and they wont. There is no way Bloom/Poyet are going to let this slip and if come Jan we need someone the money will be there.Ive no doubt about that.

Whilst I agree totally that we have coped in central positions with suspensions and injuries very well - the problem areas for depth are clearly the wide positions and full backs - if we can get squad depth there, we will be fine...

And those who keep saying "Why get rid of McNulty when we clearly need cover for Painter" - he didnt want to stay and fight for his place because Painter was clear number one, hence he asked to go out on loan (same as Tunni)... Poyet does not want players here who do not want to fight for their place, period.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Jimmy McNulty will return in January and he'll become our Gareth Bale. Then we'll be looking VERY strong. :clap2:

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
The squad can never be as strong as some would hope for. If we had 11 great players ready to cover every position then you'd have the problem of keeping everybody happy and also being able to pay for all these good players.

I think we have enough in the squad to get by and i reckon most of the back-up players could come in and cover for the odd suspension or injury. it's when we have 3 or 4 missing that it begins to show, but what other club doesn't suffer the same?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here