Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Strikers on loan

On the Left Wing

KIT NAPIER
Oct 9, 2003
Wolverhampton
Been to watch Wrexham a couple of times in the past few weeks and this League 2 side currently in administration have managed to snaffle TWO superb young strikers on loan.

Sam Williams from Villa is lanky and fast and a real asset
Matt Derbyshire from Blackburn is electric and scored a fantastic goal on Tuesday night that would even put some of CKR's efforts to shame!

So why oh why can Wrexham get TWO good loan strikers and McGhee can't even lay his hands on ONE!?

Last edited:

Del Boy

Oct 1, 2004
ok, look at it this way!!!

If you were a Premiership Manager would you loan Mark McGee one of your promising young talents!!

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
This is getting boring. There is a big difference between League 2 and the Championship anyone can see that. You only have to look at Leon Knight's record to work it out. Clearly, this makes it a lot easier to get very cheap strikers on loan in League 2 and often a big club might pay all the wages as they will be minimal. Championship quality loan strikers you probably have to pay a fair amount of the wages for.

E

enigma

I think the key point to note here is that Wrexham play 2 divisions below us.

On the Left Wing

KIT NAPIER
Oct 9, 2003
Wolverhampton
Finchley Seagull said:
This is getting boring. There is a big difference between League 2 and the Championship anyone can see that. You only have to look at Leon Knight's record to work it out. Clearly, this makes it a lot easier to get very cheap strikers on loan in League 2 and often a big club might pay all the wages as they will be minimal. Championship quality loan strikers you probably have to pay a fair amount of the wages for.

The point is that these two guys ARE Premiership reserve strikers and from the two games I have seen they ooze Premiership class .... even though there is a big gap between Championship and League 2 surely a striker of the calibre of Derbyshire is better than a McGammon, Molango or Turienzo!

And to the other point Wrexham have even less dosh to pay wages than we do!

Last edited:

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
blockhseagull said:
Derbyshire was on loan at Plymouth i believe and i think they described him as wank !!!

:lolol: :lolol:

As said above, he was apparently hopeless at Plymouth. Did not score in 13 games, not the type of player we need. We really need an experienced striker and that is what McGhee is looking for but they cost money.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
OTLW, you've made a good point.

The argument that Wrexham are playing in 2 divisions below is non-existent because these lads belong to Premiership teams. If Les Ferdinand joined Wrexham and scored a hat-trick on his debut would people say he was a Div 2 standard player?

In terms of standard I rate McCammon and McPhee as non-league, Molango possibly League 3. Therefore, a League 2 standard striker would be better than what we've got now, i.e. Iwelumo, Trevor Benjamin would be better than McCammon, McPhee, Molango.

Whatever way you look at it, McGhee has f***ed up on the striker front - pure and simple.

On the Left Wing

KIT NAPIER
Oct 9, 2003
Wolverhampton
Finchley Seagull said:
As said above, he was apparently hopeless at Plymouth. Did not score in 13 games, not the type of player we need. We really need an experienced striker and that is what McGhee is looking for but they cost money.

He is only 19 - looks a bit like Jakey R but stronger and seems to ride tackles. He scored 2 goals on Tuesday. His second he beat three defenders on the wide right and then thundered a shot from 30 yards into the top left corner of the net.His firts goal was a knock-in, which proves he has the touch. But above all he had real pace and led the line well.
Dunno about Plymouth .... but I guess we could use the same analogy of Leon Knight at Sheff Wed or Zamora at Spurs or even Harding at Brighton (oops!)

Last edited:

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Gritt23 said:
League 3?

League 2, old division 4, the place we're heading - whatever the f*** it's called...

On the Left Wing

KIT NAPIER
Oct 9, 2003
Wolverhampton
Pavilionaire said:
OTLW, you've made a good point.

The argument that Wrexham are playing in 2 divisions below is non-existent because these lads belong to Premiership teams. If Les Ferdinand joined Wrexham and scored a hat-trick on his debut would people say he was a Div 2 standard player?

In terms of standard I rate McCammon and McPhee as non-league, Molango possibly League 3. Therefore, a League 2 standard striker would be better than what we've got now, i.e. Iwelumo, Trevor Benjamin would be better than McCammon, McPhee, Molango.

Whatever way you look at it, McGhee has f***ed up on the striker front - pure and simple.

I agree

The real issue is that if Wrexham (a club in administration and with no money) can get 2 Premiership strikers on loan, there must be more (and even better ones available) so why has McGhee gone for donkeys up front or more recently Nothing - and in the meantime sold our only proven goalscorer!

Good God, a whole year ago we had Virgo as our best striker and he was a centre back! So it is not as if he hasn't had time!

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
On the Left Wing said:
I agree

The real issue is that if Wrexham (a club in administration and with no money) can get 2 Premiership strikers on loan, there must be more (and even better ones available) so why has McGhee gone for donkeys up front or more recently Nothing - and in the meantime sold our only proven goalscorer!

Good God, a whole year ago we had Virgo as our best striker and he was a centre back! So it is not as if he hasn't had time!

ground etc, blah blah

On the Left Wing

KIT NAPIER
Oct 9, 2003
Wolverhampton
chez said:
A lot of the time clubs like to loan their players out to teams that are located close to them as it seems to be in the 2 wrexham examples.

Possibly true and a very good point.

But we have Arsenal, Spurs, Charlton, Chelsea, West Ham, Portsmouth etc all almost as close to us as Blackburn or Aston are to Wrexham

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
On the Left Wing said:

So why oh why can Wrexham get TWO good loan strikers and McGhee can't even lay his hands on ONE!?

Pro MM: Facilities, wages, falmer :bla: :bla: :bla:

Anti MM: No contacts, people dont want to play for him :bla: :bla: :bla:

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
On the Left Wing said:

Try telling that to the Magoo in cretins

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here