Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Strikers for Sunderland match

Harry Lime

Oct 25, 2004
Burgess Hill
Team news for Sunderland match

Argus report

Maheta Molango and Jake Robinson are going head-to-head for a chance to partner Leon Knight in Albion's attack at Sunderland on Saturday.

The pair play together up front in the Reserves at MK Dons tomorrow afternoon as manager Mark McGhee wrestles with the problem of replacing the suspended Adam Virgo for the visit to the Stadium of Light.

McGhee is considering various options to cover for Virgo's one-match ban, including a five-man midfield or playing with wingbacks, but Molango or Robinson have a good opportunity to push themselves to the front of the queue.

"I am looking at them to give me a sign," McGhee said. "If one of them stands out then he obviously puts himself in the frame.

"Maheta is bigger and will head more balls than Jake, but they are fairly similar types of players even though they have different physiques.

"They are more similar to Leon than they are to Virgs and we lose Virgs from a defensive aspect as well. We have got to take that into consideration away from home."

McGhee's selection will also be influenced by whether captain Danny Cullip and Alexis Nicolas are fit. Cullip is on course to make his comeback in the centre of defence from a four-match absence following hernia surgery.

His return could mean McGhee will play with three centre halves for the first time and Adam El-Abd and Dan Harding as wingbacks, or the adaptable Adam Hinshelwood may be moved from the heart of defence back to the right side of a five-man midfield.

Nicolas missed Saturday's 1-0 home win over Leeds with a twisted ankle. He is vying for a central midfield role with Richard Carpenter and Charlie Oatway, who is under treatment for an Achilles injury.

Though happy with the teams performance and particularly 4 points in the last 2 games, Im a little bit baffled by our choice of subs. Crewe: Robinson on bench, comes on and does pretty well. Cardiff: Robinson dropped for no obvious reason, Molango on bench. Leeds: Molango dropped, Hart on bench after being sent off for violent conduct in the reserves 3 days earlier.

While Hart got stuck in and did OK against Leeds (which was good to see), it was strange to see us go into that game with NO strikers on the bench. McGhee has said Hart isnt a striker. Our subs were a keeper, a defender and 3 wide midfielders/wingers. Surely every team with 5 subs should include at least 1 striker on the bench.

Against Leeds it didnt turn out to be that important because we took the lead. We will not always take the lead and we need a striker on the bench in order to give us an extra option when we do go behind. Including 3 wide midfielders on the bench is at least 1 too many.

I would be happy to see Robinson partner Knight at Sunderland as we are playing the ball on the ground this season instead of hoofing it a lot like we did last season. Molango hasnt done a lot to impress yet and Robinson deserves another chance. If he is not in the starting 11 then he should at least be on the bench.

Not sure how McGhee intends to watch the reserves as he is due to be in the club shop when the game is taking place ???

Last edited:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
given that Sunderland are a good side and that its away, id rather see 5 across midfield. We seem to have quite a wealth of midfielders and a lack of strikers, so it makes sence to use that strength.

Currie Nicolas/Chippy Oatway Hammond Hart

looks good to me.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Scarface said:
Currie Chippy Hammond Nicolas Hart

thats the strongest, but i dont reckon you'll see 90 minutes of both Chippy and Nicolas

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here