Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Strictly Come Dancing: what is WRONG with people?

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Apparently the BBC has now agreed to offer refunds to viewers who cast their votes on Saturday's Strictly programme, only to find they didn't count towards the end result.

According to the Daily Mail website (I know, I know), the BBC has been "besieged" by complaints since the decision to let some smug bloke from Casualty stay in (1,687 emails and 193 calls of complaint thus far).

An example of such: 'The action in keeping Tom Chambers is a disgrace. Changing rules and misleading the paying public is unacceptable and totally dishonest. Tom Chambers you should do the honourable thing and resign. The BBC need to refund the voters.'

Has the world gone MAD?? It's a bloody GAMESHOW, not the US presidential election, you absolute stigs. Does it REALLY matter, in the grand scheme of things? Having checked this out, I have established that votes made from a BT landline- which must account for a fair proportion of the BBC voting electorate- cost 15p. Or at worst, 80p from a T-Mobile phone.

To receive your refund, you have to call or write to the BBC- freephone or freepost, naturally- with details of your vote, and you will receive your money back by way of postal order, which you can then cash :lolol:

Please, please tell me there aren't that many LOSERS in this country who would actually bother to go to these lengths over a 15p refund and a point of principle? All I can say is, I hope they use the money wisely.

:thud:

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I know times are hard, but come on, 15p! It would cost you more than that in petrol to go and cash it. I can't believe how much fuss people have made over the result, it's meant to be a bit of light entertainment, not a vote to decide the future climate change policy of the European Union.

A self-congratulatory Holby City cast-off, a rough edged chavette off some London radio station, or Rachel Stevens- is there any need to vote anyway?

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
Narrow minded people inevitably tend to have something to moan about. If it gives them pleasure let them get on with it.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Maybe, just maybe those sad multi-voters will be wakened from their trance by the thought of being mugged for the cost of a handful of votes and realise they have got lives to lead. To think that this could be so important. Bloody hell.

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
its only 15p yeah but 15p * 8m (guess) votes = 1.2m for the beeb. why cant they just get their act in order? takes the point out of voting on these things. (I wouldnt bother claiming back by the way)

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I actually thought it would be entirely the Mail readership, and few others, but most of the newspapers carried this "scandal" over the last day or two.

I despair sometimes, I really do. A little perspective is required, I think.

Wardy

NSC's Benefits Guru
Oct 9, 2003
In front of the PC
its only 15p yeah but 15p * 8m (guess) votes = 1.2m for the beeb. why cant they just get their act in order? takes the point out of voting on these things. (I wouldnt bother claiming back by the way)

I though all profits were going to charity?

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

Hmmm, good point, well I hope that makes all the tight bastards going after a refund feel pretty good about themselves.

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
Awww, come on edna: these poor members of the Great British Public have quite literally been SHAFTED out of 15p! 'Tis a princely sum & not to be sniffed at imo.

Think of all the things they could've purchased had those callous BASTARDS at the Beeb not done the decent thing. I mean, I'm sure there are loads of fantastic bits that are available if you were to only put your thinking-cap on.

For example, they could use their 15p in a telephone vote - maybe for something like the next round of Strictly Come Dancing. That'd be smashing I reckon: & cheap at half the price!

See, who said these people are sad & stupid? Not me squire, not me. :thumbsup:

Spider

Sep 15, 2007
Anyone writing in to get a 15p is a sad individual BUT surely it's more the principle - if a TV show tells you what you're voting for, then changes it once you've voted it seems a little bit cheeky. Even if no one asks for a refund, I think it' good that the BBC have had to eat humble pie and apologise for the fact they are such morons.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Anyone. And I mean ANYONE who feels moved to vote on a TV show (be that by BT landline, mobile, or 'via the red button') is a sad f*** who seriously needs to sit back and take stock of their lives. And by that I mean they need to look at which tragic series of events has led them to the point whereby they are sat in front of their TV of an evening, actively attempting to influence the outcome of a vote that is (a) inevitably rigged and (b) nobody with an IQ above 14 gives a f*** about.

They do not deserve refunds. They do not deserve sympathy. They just need treatment. Urgently.

Mustela Furo

Advantage Player
Jul 7, 2003
seeing as I am holding a betting ticket saying £10 on Lisa @ 10/1 and £50 on Rachel at 9/2 ... I am well f*cked off at the BBC's decision to preserve Chambers.

Ten seconds before they announced the voting was abandoned he was 8/1 on Betfair ... now he is 4/6 favourite .... something smells ?

And before U.S. poiints it out ... yes I know I could have laid off at the 8/1 .... but i didn't ok! I certainly tried 5 seconds after Brucey announced it but by then the market was suspended.

Twinkle Toes

Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
They do not deserve refunds. They do not deserve sympathy. They just need treatment. Urgently.

Maybe we could organise a phone-vote for these saddo's: just to see if they realise like? We could charge say............. 15p p/p for the privilege. :)

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003

BBC don't make a "profit" from phone calls, never have.

Any excess revenue used to go to Children in Need, but because of new rules surrounding the phone-in problems, there is now no excess revenue at all.

The call you pay is simply the cost of the call.

Last edited:

Twinkle Toes

Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
BBC don't make a "profit" from phone calls, never have.

Any excess revenue used to go to Children in Need, but because of new rules surrounding the phone-in problems, there is now no excess revenue at all.

The call you pay is simply the cost of the call.

I had a feeling that might've been the case. Therefor, why have the Beeb taken it upon themselves to cough-up (presumably using license payers money) if the people to actually profit from it are the phone companies?

This is an OUTRAGE! :angry:

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Actually got that slightly wrong - programmes directly related to Charity events can contain calls that include a donation to charity. It isn't allowed on something like Strictly come Dancing though....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here