Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Stop and search during the Labour conference

The Clown of Pevensey Bay

Jul 5, 2003
Suburbia
From Sussex police

AS part of the security operation for the Labour Party conference (Operation Otter 2005) officers have been granted powers under S44 of the Terrorism Act 2000, which allows police to stop and search in a specified area. It is authorised at Assistant Chief Constable level, and is a wide ranging power which allows for officers to stop and potentially search people within that area - without the officer requiring grounds to suspect any offence taking place. Assistant Chief Constable Geoff Williams said: "The power is brought in as a deterrent to and a means of detecting anyone engaged in activities connected with terrorism. Officers have been briefed on the practical and ethical use of this power, and the local independent advisory groups and the Racial Harassment Forums have been consulted and informed about the application of 'Section 44 in Sussex. "Each stop, whether or not this results in a search, will be recorded and officers have been given explanatory leaflets to pass on to those members of the public who have been stopped under the power. "Sussex Police acknowledges the wide ranging extent of this power and we have taken steps to ensure that its use is monitored to ensure that it is proportionate. It is kept under constant review to ensure its use is necessary."

bigc

Jul 5, 2003
well I'm being let in

I hope they dont find my hawaiian shirts offensive and a breach of the peace:lolol:

The Clown of Pevensey Bay said:
From Sussex police

AS part of the security operation for the Labour Party conference (Operation Otter 2005) officers have been granted powers under S44 of the Terrorism Act 2000, which allows police to stop and search in a specified area. It is authorised at Assistant Chief Constable level, and is a wide ranging power which allows for officers to stop and potentially search people within that area - without the officer requiring grounds to suspect any offence taking place. Assistant Chief Constable Geoff Williams said: "The power is brought in as a deterrent to and a means of detecting anyone engaged in activities connected with terrorism. Officers have been briefed on the practical and ethical use of this power, and the local independent advisory groups and the Racial Harassment Forums have been consulted and informed about the application of 'Section 44 in Sussex. "Each stop, whether or not this results in a search, will be recorded and officers have been given explanatory leaflets to pass on to those members of the public who have been stopped under the power. "Sussex Police acknowledges the wide ranging extent of this power and we have taken steps to ensure that its use is monitored to ensure that it is proportionate. It is kept under constant review to ensure its use is necessary."

It doesn't bother me but what will do If I see any Muslims lurking.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
s.stubbs said:
Wonder if we'll be allowed to march this year.

It is arranged for 4pm 26th September if the answer hasn't come through by then.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
s.stubbs said:
Wonder if we'll be allowed to march this year.

A march is planned I think, can't see why not.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here