Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Stoke & Pulis

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
This is doing the rounds. A post from the Liverpool forum RAWK (can't find the original).

"I f***ing hate Stoke.

Usually I just hate them in the build-up and aftermath to us playing them, but take great pleasure in other teams struggling against them. No more. Maybe it's some newly found solidarity from other teams, or maybe it's just after however many years, I resent having to watch Tony Pulis' black arts. Like Sam Allardyce on Red Bull, trying to push the envelope and tour the ugliest back alleys for any way to get through a football match. Maybe each human being has a finite amount of space in their lives they can accept Stoke being part of, and I've exceeded mine. Whatever it is, I f***ing hate Stoke.

I f***ing hate their alehouse tactics. I f***ing hate that a Stoke shirt seems to grant players a certain immunity. I hate that because referees expect Stoke to be overly physical, that seems to allow them - in their own tiny little minds - the excuse for Stoke to be overly physical. I'm sick of their f***ing back four, all of whom look like proper Rugby League Town twats, smacking their way around the league. Wilkinson's elbows, Huth's stamp, Ryan Shawcross and his peculiar brand of footballing Jiu-Jitsu. In midfield you've got cynical shites f***ing Whitehead, who takes great pleasure in mastering the poorly timed trip, or Charlie Adam who is just tugboat slow and reckless. Top it off with that twat Waters upfront. God I hate him. He's got the face of a badger baiter. Just a horrible, horrible collection players.

It's not a surprise though is it? In Tony Pulis you've got a really vile manager. Him and his stupid f***ing baseball cap. All his pundit mates laugh off his teams; "well if you knew Tony as a player you'd know what his teams are like" - there's a f***ing reason no one knows what sort of player he was. They simply don't care to remember some lower league yard dog, and cringe that they have to watch a team in his image. I'll give Pulis some credit though, never has a manager captured the essence of a town and it's people so well in how their team plays football than Stoke. He's such a horrible, overly macho twat. The poster boy for British footballing culture, where a dive is sneaky and insidious and thus far worse than breaking a players leg with a horror tackle, elbowing someone in the face or stamping on their chest. The man has managed to usurp Mark Hughes and Sam Allardyce as the Wannabe Alpha of the league.

The fans, in amongst it all, I have some twisted sense of sympathy for. Tony Pulis' own personal Volkssturm of outcasts, trudging along every (other) week out of some misplaced sense of duty. Duty to protect their birth place. All off on a march to their death. A football death. A football death that couldn't be further removed from the one Rodgers speaks of. Off to the windy vortex of misery, void of hope. the great architecture of schadenfreude. "If we can't enjoy football then neither can you". The essence of Stoke.

Stoke. That horrible f***ing verb.

1) Stoke.
To remove joy and purpose from the occasion

Tony Pulis was delighted to stoke Liverpool at the football match

Just f*** off, Stoke. Not even down the lower leagues, because if that happens some poor twat will be stuck paying to watch his team run the Stoke gauntlet, being told to 'embrace' the challenge. Nah. f*** that. f*** this idea that defeating Dr Pulis' Monster is some kind of footballing achievement. They're removed almost entirely from the sport. Stoke a horrid mixture of shotput, 11 players cynically fouling on rotation, and set pieces. That's the f***ing Stoke credo right there. If it's not a set play you can't control what's happening, so you foul, and get another set play.

I'm not against physicality in football. I'm not against the odd bit of cynicism. But I'm not having the defence of Stoke. It's pure anti-football. They routintely turn up to games against any team to make sure the ball is out of play as much as possible. That is not a worthwhile tactic. Wouldn't wish it on anyone.

f*** off you oatcake munching twats."

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Love this. Stoke are the anti christ. In fact even WHU dont play the "percentages" as much as Stoke.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
I swear Pulis said something about Suarez's diving and that he should be banned for it - could be very wrong though. If not it explains why they are so bitter.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
The modern day Wimbledon. The Premier League NEEDS at least one team of thugs.

Oscar

Nov 10, 2003
Read the first few lines. It's just a foulmouthed rant from a small minded, bitter "big" club fan who insists that teams like Stoke should roll over when they dare to take the on the once mighty Reds at Anfield. Hardly worth repeating.

I actually have a lot of respect for Pullis and Stoke for the way they've stuck it to the Premier League big boys. Teams hate playing them and for obvious reasons but they're not just the hoof-ball merchants they're made out to be.

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
If you offered him the Champions League this season on the basis Liverpool played that way throughout the competition, he'd bite your hand off.

If Liverpool were better, they would beat Stoke at their tactics 9 times out of ten.

seagully

Cock-knobs!
Jun 30, 2006
Battle
Although I'm not a huge fan of Stoke's style, it is far from as clear cut as many make it out to be. Football would be a much more boring sport if every team played the same way, be it 'tiki-taka' or 'kick and rush'. The most interesting games IMO are between two teams with very different styles.

D

Deleted member 18477

:lol: hilarious! absolutely love that! stoke are vile! pulis is the managers version of john terry.

Stumpy Tim

Pulis is right about diving. I've said it for years, they should have a review panel every Monday and ban players for diving - whether it's in the penalty area or not. Bale should have been banned for two games for his dive the other day, but instead the pundits laughed it off. They have review panels in Australian sport and it works a treat.

The funny thing is that if players stopped diving, Stoke wouldn't get away with much of their antics. How can a ref tell the difference between a proper foul and a dive? Stamp out diving and you'll see less of "thuggish" tactics that Stoke allegedly use because players won't be diving and refs will know 95% of the time that players aren't cheating.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
BREAKING: Stoke City release their official PS3 controller, fans are able to purchase it from the clubs megastore.

A42vrjYCUAACZ7f.jpg

Twitter / BBCSporf: BREAKING: Stoke City release ...

NickBHAFC18

Feb 24, 2012
Brighton
It is funny and a lot of it i do agree with.

But to be fair I couldn't agree more with Pulis over Suarez. His dive last weekend was absolutely shocking and they should start handing out bans for blatant cheating scum like him.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Stoke are a bit of a throwback. Its good that we're not all trying to be Arsenal clones, there is space for the Stokes of this World. Good on them, good on Pulis.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Pulis is right about diving. I've said it for years, they should have a review panel every Monday and ban players for diving - whether it's in the penalty area or not. Bale should have been banned for two games for his dive the other day, but instead the pundits laughed it off. They have review panels in Australian sport and it works a treat.

The funny thing is that if players stopped diving, Stoke wouldn't get away with much of their antics. How can a ref tell the difference between a proper foul and a dive? Stamp out diving and you'll see less of "thuggish" tactics that Stoke allegedly use because players won't be diving and refs will know 95% of the time that players aren't cheating.

I disagree. Physical violence is far worse a problem in football. That needs to be stamped out first. The fact that a review panel has looked at RvP elbow someone and looked at Huth stamping on someone and NOT deeming it worthy of a ban is of far worse concern to me. What's the point of a panel if they ignore the real problems?

Diving needs to be cut out but first, we need to stop players physically hurting each other. I agree that diving needs to be stopped but there are far worse ills in football that are studiously ignored.

Case in point, Diame scores wonder goal against Arsenal, celebrates with the crowd = booked. Seconds later clatters through Arsenal player. Diame knows he's off, Allardyce knows he's off, everyone in the ground knows he's off. The outcome? Nothing. You cannot say that that is a result of diving in the modern game and you can't excuse shocking clogger football tactics as being a direct result of diving.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010

They don't play that way because other teams players dive. They play that way because Pulis has assembled a team to play the way he did; as a thug, long before diving was endemic in the game.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
I find it funny that it's come from a Liverpool fan...who are probably the most moronic and idiotic of all the fans i've come across.

I don't mind Stoke too much - as Icy Gull said, they remind me of Wimbledon in a way. Whilst they do take it too far (Huth's stamp was out of order, but then again it's what Suarez deserves for being a ****) they've got the fear factor with teams now - teams seem to prefer travelling to Old Trafford than to Stoke and i remember when everyone hated playing Utd at home.

Stumpy Tim

Diving needs to be cut out but first, we need to stop players physically hurting each other. I agree that diving needs to be stopped but there are far worse ills in football that are studiously ignored.

Why can't both be tackled at the same time? Bans for diving and bans for dangerous tackles... I don't think anyone is disagreeing that players should be banned for the latter. This thread is about how to cut out diving though.

Stumpy Tim

They don't play that way because other teams players dive. They play that way because Pulis has assembled a team to play the way he did; as a thug, long before diving was endemic in the game.

They don't play that way because of diving. They do get away with it more because of diving though, so less diving means they'll be less successful

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
They don't play that way because of diving. They do get away with it more because of diving though, so less diving means they'll be less successful

I'd prefer to tackle the root cause (i.e thuggery) rather than the symptom, or at the very least both.

APACHE

LONGTIME DIEHARD
Feb 18, 2011
THE PROMISED LAND-SUSSEX
Watch a Stoke game and in any other league in Europe there would be yellow or red cards all the time, how they get away with some of the tackles is mindblowing at times and let's not forget their great fans, the ones who chant abuse at a certain Arsenal manager and the player who had his leg broken. Yes alround ,a club that should be heldup as a fine example of a sporting org.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here