Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Stoke game - play a full strength side?

Stoke, should we play a weakened side and concentrate on the League

• Total voters

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Given that the priority is the League and it looks like we will be playing Stoke on Saturday and Plymouth on Monday, should we incur the wrath of some fans and the FA by playing a weakened side?

I'd prefer us to field the weakest team we can in the Cup :shrug:

I know it goes against the spirit of the cup and I imagine the players would rather we played a full strength team as well.

What do you think?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Where did you hear we're playing it on the Friday?

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Ooh tricky. Nearly voted wrong there, as you switched the question from "play a full strength side?" to "should we play a weakened side and concentrate on the League?"

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Where did you hear we're playing it on the Friday?

Made it up, edited now which gives even more strength to play a weakened side argument imo

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Ooh tricky. Nearly voted wrong there, as you switched the question from "play a full strength side?" to "should we play a weakened side and concentrate on the League?"

Sorry, cocked this up a bit haven't I ?

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
Really was starting to look forward to the Stoke game but if it does indeed go ahead on Saturday and Plymouth on Monday, then I think we need to make some changes. Would love us to go full pelt at Stoke and give them a decent game, but 3 points against Plymouth could be VITAL.

Saying that we could play the full strength 11 in both and still win, but it's a risk I don't think we should be taking.

A lot could depend on the results between now and then though, if everyone else loses a couple we could still be sitting pretty at the top with games in hand, in which case Plymouth isn't quite so crucial. If we have dropped a place or two by then, then beating Plymouth must be a priority.

All it's and but's!

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Taken as individual matches the Stoke game is far more important because if we lose that then we're out of the Cup, whereas the Plymouth game is just one out of 46. In other words we can afford to lose to Plymouth and still get promoted. All the while we're still in the Cup then the Cup games are the most important and yes I know I'm the only one who thinks like this.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
According to FA website, the date is shown as one of the Saturday games. Not sure why we couldn't have an early kick off though bearing in mind the Monday game and that it doesn't take too long to get to stoke.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
The evidence suggests that form will slump by dicking around with the team for the FAC.

In addition, we're two games from Wembley in a tie we might actually win if we play to our capability and theoretically just three games from Europe. He has to play his favoured team at this stage, surely?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Stoke Game:

Brez

Calde Elphick Dunk Painter

Bridcutt Sparrow Bennett

Wood Murray Barnes

Plymouth

Ankergren

Calde Greer ElAbd Painter

Noone Kish Dicker Bennett

Barnes Murray

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
Reserves. Promotion is by far and away the most important. It's not so much that we've got a game on the Monday as i'd advocate a reserve side if we weren't playing for another week after. Stoke are a aggricultural side who like to 'get stuck in'. I don't want to risk any of our key players getting injured. Even if we play our full strength side we're big underdogs anyway and I don't think it's worth taking the chance.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Stoke are a aggricultural side who like to 'get stuck in'. I don't want to risk any of our key players getting injured.

Can we please stop with all this "those big boys tackle too hard, it's not nice, and it's not fair" attitude? It's just all a bit, well, gay!

GYM

Jan 4, 2010
Leeds
FFS i voted wrong :facepalm: can we move one from no to yes please.

Id much rather get 3 points on the monday and not have a shattered 1st XI for the game

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
The evidence suggests that form will slump by dicking around with the team for the FAC.

In addition, we're two games from Wembley in a tie we might actually win if we play to our capability and theoretically just three games from Europe. He has to play his favoured team at this stage, surely?

Not sure Europe would be a good thing next year! I'd be really gutted to almost lay down and wait to get beaten at Stoke, but if, as I think we will, we have dropped a place or two the pressure really will be on in the League games.

Also, IF we do get promoted this year, remember we will enter the FA Cup at Round 3 and so only be two games away from where we are now. With the team we are building here now I don't see this season's FA Cup as our last chance for years and years to get the team to this stage again.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Stoke Game:

Brez

Calde Elphick Dunk Painter

Bridcutt Sparrow Bennett

Wood Murray Barnes

Plymouth

Ankergren

Calde Greer ElAbd Painter

Noone Kish Dicker Bennett

Barnes Murray

I will be going to Stoke and I would be very happy with that side

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
:laugh:

Are we HONESTLY debating whether "playing in Europe next season" is a good thing or not?

The gettingcarriedawaywithourselves monitor is about to explode.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here