Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Stocks and Shares

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Does anyone here dabble? I am by no stretch of the imagination some genius of the financial markets, but have taken an interest recently as I have been made aware a few months ago, the former board of a company I worked for are now at a similar company, and seem to be turning them around (shares were around 0.4p before they took over and now at the 1.4p stage after a couple of months.)

Having worked for them, I know their game, I know what they do, in terms of being able to aggresively turn around companies, cut out the crap and re-build so on paper seems like a decent investment, prices are currently at the highest they have been for about 6 months, and while I am probably late to the party, don't think I have missed the boat.

Just a bit unsure about the whole process not having done it before, TD Waterhouse seem like a good broker and easy to use, but is there anything else I should be consider?

Any advice or guidance appreciated ! This won't be another Tiscali either :wrong:

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
On a financial site I would take your post as the start of a ramping exercise, but will give you the benefit of the doubt here!

Penny share trading-inevitably high risk, so only "gamble" with what you can afford to lose.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I assure you, not in any way linked to the company and just interested, hence the reason I have stayed away from financial sites.

Appreciate that Chimneys, at the highest, the stock was about £4 a share, and although this market is unlikely to get that level again, I'd be suprised if this company went bust or any way south, they seem to be winning contracts in the sector they are strong in, so looks like confidence is back. Aware of the risks and was not talking about a 'large' amount, but just interested if there was anything else I should consider as a newbie!

thekinglives

Aug 14, 2010
TD Waterhouse charge a 'admin fee' of about £12 per quarter if you don't trade in that period. I made the mistake of buying a block of shares as a long term investment, but was shelling out almost £50 per year because I wasn't regularly trading...

Not sure if all brokers have the same fees?

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Try an online Broker. I used SelfTrade years ago and dont ever remember paying any non-trading admin fees, but have not used them for ages so dunno what they are like now. I subscribed to the Penny Share Guide for a year just to see what would happen and they came up with some crackers (JKX Oil & Gas at 14p, sold them at 49p about 6 months later, now worth 250p for example), but like Chimneys says, only trade what you are prepared to lose as they came up with some turkeys as well!!

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
if you have online banking, they will certainly do share dealing. typical fees, £12.50-£15 a trade plus stamp duty (0.5%)

butchy

Jul 24, 2005
Bethnal Green, E2
hargreaves lansdown is a good online broker. charges about 20 quid per deal. i bought heavily into BP in the summer when they were at button prices after the oil spill. people genuinely factoring the possibility of bankruptcy back then. bought at 320, currently around the 500 mark.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I assure you, not in any way linked to the company and just interested, hence the reason I have stayed away from financial sites.

Appreciate that Chimneys, at the highest, the stock was about £4 a share, and although this market is unlikely to get that level again, I'd be suprised if this company went bust or any way south, they seem to be winning contracts in the sector they are strong in, so looks like confidence is back. Aware of the risks and was not talking about a 'large' amount, but just interested if there was anything else I should consider as a newbie!

Care to share the name of the company with your online friends then?

Ding Dong !

Boy I'm HOT today !
Jul 26, 2004
Worthing
Does anyone here dabble? I am by no stretch of the imagination some genius of the financial markets, but have taken an interest recently as I have been made aware a few months ago, the former board of a company I worked for are now at a similar company, and seem to be turning them around (shares were around 0.4p before they took over and now at the 1.4p stage after a couple of months.)

Having worked for them, I know their game, I know what they do, in terms of being able to aggresively turn around companies, cut out the crap and re-build so on paper seems like a decent investment, prices are currently at the highest they have been for about 6 months, and while I am probably late to the party, don't think I have missed the boat.

Just a bit unsure about the whole process not having done it before, TD Waterhouse seem like a good broker and easy to use, but is there anything else I should be consider?

Any advice or guidance appreciated ! This won't be another Tiscali either :wrong:

I us TDWaterhouse, simple on-line system. I get charged £8.95 per trade at the moment but I think they are increasing this soon. New accounts are £12.95 per trade, ( plus tax on purchases ) however the more you trade the cheaper it is.

Best advise I can give is only trade/invest what you can afford to lose. Also research as much as you can about the company you intend to invest in. Any good luck.....patience is also important, don't expect big returns to quickly.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Best advise I can give is only trade/invest what you can afford to lose. Also research as much as you can about the company you intend to invest in. Any good luck.....patience is also important, don't expect big returns to quickly.

This is sound advice, I stuck a few quid in shares the best part of fifteen years ago when everyone seemed to be doing it and despite making fairly reasoned judgement on what I bought largely got my fingers burnt...check out the record of Screen, Jarvis and Provalis if you want to see what can go wrong with your investment.

After a very long gap I have recently taken a punt on RBS, which I considered very good value at under 50p, but view these as a recovery share. I don't expect to get anything in the way of a return for at least five years, but when I do it should prove more lucrative than having the money sat in an account earning a pitifully low rate of interest.

My only advice would be to do your own research, don't just listen to rampers who are rabbiting on about a share being the best thing since sliced bread, if it were they would be keeping schtum and sharing their info with friends and not the general public.

Ding Dong !

Boy I'm HOT today !
Jul 26, 2004
Worthing
I invest in the AIM stocks mainly and quite heavy in oil exploration companies Xel, Matd, Eo, Rrl, DES and the mining company Bmr. Started trading last year with these shares with a £25k investment currently now around £37k. Risky but have researched each one and confident in most of them with the exception of DES. These are high risk but huge potential and so far have turned a nice profit. But it can be very risky and you have to be prepared to take some knock backs.

Ding Dong !

Boy I'm HOT today !
Jul 26, 2004
Worthing
:thumbsup::thumbsup:
Having said that, might well be worth a speculative punt on tried and trusted SCOTTISH Oil Exploration company Cairn Energy finding oil in Greenland this Summer. If they do, the shares will double :thumbsup:

Not looked in to that one. Like Xel myself which has risen from 93p to 360p in 3-4 months. They are oil exploration co in north sea and going into full production later in the year. Seen a big profit in this one !

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Take a look at PYC, very volatile and great if you time it right, check the history graphs. Have a look at AGY, one of those could boom and equally BUST! As said Barclays, RBS & Lloyds are good recovery stock, take a look at CFC China Food Company.

Max Petroleum also, that is all!

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
Start a stocks and shares ISA then everything you make is tax free. Try jpj share dealing only £4.75 a trade but bear in mind they are not covered by the financial guarantee as they are IOM based

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here