Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Stockport confirm Ablett as boss

SurreySeagulls

Jul 9, 2003
Guildford
Stockport County have appointed former Liverpool defender Gary Ablett as their new manager.

Ablett was reserve team boss at Liverpool, but parted company with the Premier League club in May as part of a reshuffle by boss Rafa Benitez.

We're the Stripes

Jul 31, 2005
BN2
Glad Stockport have got something sorted. I don't think Ablett will get them playing anywhere close to the standard that they reached before their demise last season, and with such a young, depleted squad, it's going to be a long season ahead for them. But I wish him well.

Jan 19, 2009
Worthing
Sorry if fixtures, but, as far as I'm aware, you can't replace someone in the same position where a redundancy was made.

So where does that leave Jim Gannon?

Jan 19, 2009
Worthing
Jim Gannon was appointed Motherwell manager about two weeks ago...

Yes. I know that, but he didn't want to leave Stockport, and they made him redundant, and now replaced him.

So what would have happened if he hadn't gone to Motherwell, would they have had to give him first refusal?

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Yes. I know that, but he didn't want to leave Stockport, and they made him redundant, and now replaced him.

So what would have happened if he hadn't gone to Motherwell, would they have had to give him first refusal?

Wasn't he out of contract though? Different rules probably apply in that situation I would have thought.

Nicky-Number-Nine

Jul 7, 2009
Get your bank balances on Stockport going down next season.

Well I don't see how any team can survive after losing so many of their first team squad.

They still have some good players though. Owain Fon Williams, Oli Johnson, Domonic Blizzard to name a few.

If they go aswell, they are more or less down already.

Spun Cuppa

Thanks Greens :(
It makes me feel old as I remember Ablett playing for Liverpool as a teenager (him, not me!)

And to make me feel double old, I remember a certain Guy Butter's debut for Tottenham, also as a teenager (again, him, not me!)

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
May well become a type of feeder club for Liverpool or Everton, as he played for them for a long time, and borrow youth and reserve team players etc.

What, despite that being against league rules? And do you know where Stockport is?

Guillem Balague

Jun 28, 2008
I took some Gary Abletts only last night, for my tennis elbow.

:bowdown:

ablett%20(2).jpg

Last edited:

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Sorry if fixtures, but, as far as I'm aware, you can't replace someone in the same position where a redundancy was made.

So where does that leave Jim Gannon?

This happens all the time in companies , they make employees redundant and then take on agency staff to replace them or just offshore the work. I took redundany along with several thousand others at BT in 2003 and the work was shifted over to India.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
What, despite that being against league rules? And do you know where Stockport is?

It is illegal to be a feeder club in name but nothing to stop the 2 managers coming to an informal agreement:

Benitez : If you are short of players Gary and I can help please give me a call.
Ablett: Administrators sold goalkeeper 2 defenders and midfield player during their period so I am short.

Benitez; I have some youth players or players not likley to be in first team contention take your pick and have them on loan. By the way we are interested in Josh Thompson can we have him on trial for a week.

Ablett: will sort it out

Problem solved rules not broken.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here