Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Steve McClaren wins title with FC Twente. Not very ENGLISH is it?

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
Yes, yes it was! (Bobby Robson with Porto)

Who'd have thunk it eh?

It'd be nice to see someone like Hodgson get a crack at a big job where he might get a chance to win major honours. English managers are seriously underrepresented on the big stage these days

Last edited:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
iirc, Twente are a sort of Everton level club (without the history). im not sure if that makes the achivement all the more impressive or shows the imbalance in our EPL.

Last edited:

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Smaller than Everton, more of a Bolton. Mclaren said the title win equated to a club of Middlesborough's stature winning the EPL.

Yes, yes it was! (Bobby Robson with Porto)

Who'd have thunk it eh?

It'd be nice to see someone like Hodgson get a crack at a big job where he might get a chance to win major honours. English managers are seriously underrepresented on the big stage these days

I assume that your tongue was firmly in your cheek there? Or do you not know that Hodgson has managed Inter Milan (twice!)?

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Mclaren said the title win equated to a club of Middlesborough's stature winning the EPL.

No he didn't. He said: "We shhmall club, not big club. So win very sssphecial. Isssh like Middlessshhborough – sshmall club, not big club – wins EPL."

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
I assume that your tongue was firmly in your cheek there? Or do you not know that Hodgson has managed Inter Milan (twice!)?

Sorry, my comment was meant to suggest he be given a crack at a big English job (Liverpool, say).

I remember his stints at Inter Milan and I understand the fans still think fairly highly of him given that he performed pretty well with a comparatively weak team by Inter standards.

I've also just learned that he won the Danish league title when he was at Copenhagen in 2001 so I stand corrected in my assertion that Sir Bobby (Robson not Zamora) was the last English manager to win a league title. Mind you the Danish Superliga is hardly up there with La Liga, Serie A, the Portuguese Liga or even the French League.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here