Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Stephen Fry on political correctness (he's not in favour)

Han Solo

May 25, 2024
In their own vision of themselves, people like "hermits, madmen and rebels". When facing them, however, they are often very quick to run back to their craddles of truths.

I agree with Stephen Fry but how do you remove cognitive dissonance from the human brain?

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
In their own vision of themselves, people like "hermits, madmen and rebels". When facing them, however, they are often very quick to run back to their craddles of truths.

I agree with Stephen Fry but how do you remove cognitive dissonance from the human brain?
I don’t know, but why have you started posting again in non-football threads when you stated outright that you wouldn’t?

Han Solo

May 25, 2024
I don’t know, but why have you started posting again in non-football threads when you stated outright that you wouldn’t?
Fair. Good reminder. That was over the line. Thank you Karen. No need to talk with the manager.

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Fair. Good reminder. That was over the line. Thank you Karen. No need to talk with the manager.
I’m saving you from yourself, you have no impulse control and I want to keep you around for your football insight. It just takes a few too many whiskeys and joints and we’ll have a repeat of the nastiness which got you banned before. I actually have always said your football posts are generally very good, especially about European football. Stick to that like you promised.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I totally agree with him about the culture wars nonsense.

I would have loved to have seen him walk off stage after his pronouncements on such.

To see him 'nail his flag to the mast' and engage on a chosen side around political correctness was disappointing.

SkirlieWirlie

Jan 6, 2024
Even though I find him a rather bloated, pompous, self satisfied character, he is usually correct about things.
I can see why he could be viewed that way, but from the discussions I've listened to involving him and others, often with diametrically opposed views, he's always come across as extremely intelligent, articulate, hugely knowledgeable and yes perhaps a little full of himself, but open to hearing other opinions and willing to engage in respectful debate, often seeing where others are coming from, which for me is the opposite of pompous or arrogant.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Is it called Woke now? I did wonder yesterday how GBeebies viewers find out what is happening in the cricket. Surely they have banned it as it is too Woakes for them.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Stephen Fry always speaks well, but like many on this subject, he falls at the first hurdle by failing to define or misdefining political correctness. That's not surprising as it's a slippery fish that's defined or left undefined in a myriad of ways often depending upon the usefulness of the definition (or lack there-of) to the views of the speaker. He's right on the unhelpfulness of social media line drawing. He's right on the culture war nonsense. However, he's also standing next to somebody who's entire public career has been based on manipulating the fear and discomfort we all have in response to a rapidly changing world that we can't keep under control.

Political correctness is in a way, just an attempt at agreement on terms of reference for communication. As the term seems to come from the Maoist imperatitve to define truth according to ideology, it is easily criticised as part of the left wing's often parodied obsession with redefining the past to suit the ideologies of the present. However, that imperative is more recently obvious amongst the 'alternative truths' of the right wing, what with the likes of De Santis making decisions as to what elements of the past can and can't be discussed in history classes without upsetting his worldview.

In practice, in the eighties and nineties, the concept was just a form of regulated politeness; a suggestion to communicate avoiding language that some may have issues with. This immediately set it up for ridicule as it always sounded clunky and artificial in contrast to the way that language had naturally developed, but it's intent was inclusive. However, like the terms 'woke' and 'social justice warrior' It got redefined by those who opposed change to roughly mean 'anything I don't like' and Fry falls into the trap of discussing things that we all don't like under the heading of 'political correctness'. Yes there were some silly extremes, but nothing should have it's value measured by it's extremes alone, especially when there is evidence that many of the 'baa baa green sheep' type stories were the deliberate inventions of Fleet Street journalists hoping for a good 'Looney Left Council' story.

Edward Stourton's 2008 book 'It's A PC World' is a good place to start for a more historical and in depth analysis of the aims and pitfalls of the concept. He still doesn't completely pin down a very quick moving target, but his attempt is more reasoned and impartial than Fry's, admittedly partly due to the nature of the different formats. In this debate, whilst agreeing with some of his points, I see Fry as a useful idiot, well meaning and honest about his opinions, but naive to the intentions of those who seek to amplify this debate entirely because of it's tendency to create and highlight divisions. It's nearly always a smoke screen thrown up by those who oppose practical steps towards more equality because they may involve them relinquishing some of their own power and resources.

Sorry, you may have noticed that I had nothing to contribute to the 'post length' thread.... For those who would prefer the condensed version:

Stephen, don't be tricked into arguing about whether there should be different versions of 'Fairytale of New York'. The shysters who want you to be angry about that couldn't name a single other Pogues song anyway.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Is it called Woke now? I did wonder yesterday how GBeebies viewers find out what is happening in the cricket. Surely they have banned it as it is too Woakes for them.
Surely they don't care who wins test matches as they see all the countries as part of the British Empire anyway.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Thank you so much @Bozza :bowdown:.

IMG_2456.png

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Stephen Fry always speaks well, but like many on this subject, he falls at the first hurdle by failing to define or misdefining political correctness. That's not surprising as it's a slippery fish that's defined or left undefined in a myriad of ways often depending upon the usefulness of the definition (or lack there-of) to the views of the speaker. He's right on the unhelpfulness of social media line drawing. He's right on the culture war nonsense. However, he's also standing next to somebody who's entire public career has been based on manipulating the fear and discomfort we all have in response to a rapidly changing world that we can't keep under control.

Political correctness is in a way, just an attempt at agreement on terms of reference for communication. As the term seems to come from the Maoist imperatitve to define truth according to ideology, it is easily criticised as part of the left wing's often parodied obsession with redefining the past to suit the ideologies of the present. However, that imperative is more recently obvious amongst the 'alternative truths' of the right wing, what with the likes of De Santis making decisions as to what elements of the past can and can't be discussed in history classes without upsetting his worldview.

In practice, in the eighties and nineties, the concept was just a form of regulated politeness; a suggestion to communicate avoiding language that some may have issues with. This immediately set it up for ridicule as it always sounded clunky and artificial in contrast to the way that language had naturally developed, but it's intent was inclusive. However, like the terms 'woke' and 'social justice warrior' It got redefined by those who opposed change to roughly mean 'anything I don't like' and Fry falls into the trap of discussing things that we all don't like under the heading of 'political correctness'. Yes there were some silly extremes, but nothing should have it's value measured by it's extremes alone, especially when there is evidence that many of the 'baa baa green sheep' type stories were the deliberate inventions of Fleet Street journalists hoping for a good 'Looney Left Council' story.

Edward Stourton's 2008 book 'It's A PC World' is a good place to start for a more historical and in depth analysis of the aims and pitfalls of the concept. He still doesn't completely pin down a very quick moving target, but his attempt is more reasoned and impartial than Fry's, admittedly partly due to the nature of the different formats. In this debate, whilst agreeing with some of his points, I see Fry as a useful idiot, well meaning and honest about his opinions, but naive to the intentions of those who seek to amplify this debate entirely because of it's tendency to create and highlight divisions. It's nearly always a smoke screen thrown up by those who oppose practical steps towards more equality because they may involve them relinquishing some of their own power and resources.

Sorry, you may have noticed that I had nothing to contribute to the 'post length' thread.... For those who would prefer the condensed version:

Stephen, don't be tricked into arguing about whether there should be different versions of 'Fairytale of New York'. The shysters who want you to be angry about that couldn't name a single other Pogues song anyway.
Very nicely elaborated.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here