Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Steel and Falmer

warsaw

She's lost control
Jan 28, 2008
I see that 500 workers at the Corus steel plant near Newport, south Wales are being allowed to stay home on half their basic pay due to a lack of work.

BBC NEWS | Wales | No work forces steel staff home

Surely the price of steel must be falling through the floor at the moment and surely it can't be too late for that to bring the price of the stadium down substantially? :angry:

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
The price has been set, as confirmed by Insider.

warsaw

She's lost control
Jan 28, 2008
Hmmm. In a project of this size does the contractor order all of the steel at this early stage or is it purchased in phases?

Just concerned that we sign a contract with Buckingham, they order some steel at current prices. Later they order the rest at recession prices at make a fortune at our expense.

No I don't know how it works so maybe someone can enlighten me?

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Martin Perry said in a recent podcast

'The price of steel needed for construction has been set at a level agreed between BHA and Buckingham'

'If the price of steel increases Buckingham takes the hit, if it decreases they take the gain.'

DTES

Jul 7, 2003
London
'If the price of steel increases Buckingham takes the hit, if it decreases they take the gain.'

Suits me to be honest. It's been hard enough working getting here; if we're offered a price we can afford I'd much rather be sure we can keep it than gamble in the hope we can save a few quid...

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Suits me to be honest. It's been hard enough working getting here; if we're offered a price we can afford I'd much rather be sure we can keep it than gamble in the hope we can save a few quid...

Exactly what Perry said in different words!

'we can move forward with confidence knowing the fixed price for the stadium contract'

warsaw

She's lost control
Jan 28, 2008
Martin Perry said in a recent podcast

'The price of steel needed for construction has been set at a level agreed between BHA and Buckingham'

Thanks, missed that. I think I know now who this is going to benefit, and it won't be BHAFC. Guess we had to agree to such a deal to get the fucker built.

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
Thanks, missed that. I think I know now who this is going to benefit, and it won't be BHAFC. Guess we had to agree to such a deal to get the fucker built.

Well who's to say the price won't go up in a years' time? I much prefer this way to taking a gamble on the price, as others have agreed.

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Just because we're not ordering steel in the UK doesn't mean that the worldwide cost will fall.

I've not checked recently, but steel prices have been pretty volatile over the last year and a fixed price is a sensible way forward for the club.

I also thought I'd heard Martin say it's all been pre-ordered, so the price won't change now, anyway.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here