Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Stayaway fans has probably been done to death however......

Harty

Jul 7, 2003
Sussex
I'm hacked off with meeting people in and around the County who say "Oh yes I am an Albion fan, have been for years, but I'll wait until they get Falmer before I go back and watch them."

It a bit like saying "I love my wife but I won't take her out until she has surgery to look like Louise Redknapp!"

We need these 'fans' now, not in two or three years!!!!

sten

sister ray
Jul 14, 2003
eastside
I'm hacked off with meeting people in and around the County who say "Oh yes I am an Albion fan, have been for years, but I'll wait until they get Falmer before I go back and watch them."

It a bit like saying "I love my wife but I won't take her out until she has surgery to look like Louise Redknapp!"

We need these 'fans' now, not in two or three years!!!!

There is plenty of them on here,excuses starting to wear thin now about cost, the withdean factor etc :albion2:

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
There is plenty of them on here,excuses starting to wear thin now about cost, the withdean factor etc :albion2:

The excuse about cost is very definitely a real issue. In case you hadn't noticed incomes are very stretched at present as petrol, home fuel, council tax and mortgage payments get bigger however pay in effect contracts.

Therefore people do genuinely have to make sacrifices financially and football will be one of these as it is a leisure activity.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
But at the end of the day, you're either a Brighton fan or you're not.

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
The excuse about cost is very definitely a real issue. In case you hadn't noticed incomes are very stretched at present as petrol, home fuel, council tax and mortgage payments get bigger however pay in effect contracts.

Therefore people do genuinely have to make sacrifices financially and football will be one of these as it is a leisure activity.

Whilst this is undoubtedly true, there are a lot of people who refuse to go to Withdean and only go to away games. It costs more to travel the country than get the free bus up to Withdean.

And respect to those on here who don't go because of the cost. If they have got higher priorities than supporting the Albion (Sky TV, ten pints a night down the pub) then fair enough.

I am afraid that whilst the cost is important, losing the habit of going down the Albion is more of a factor in my opinion. Hopefully the cheap kids season ticket next year will help a few get the habit back.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I'm a fan of rump steak. Can't afford to eat it every week though.

And some people have to make choices regarding going to football or just living at present.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Whilst this is undoubtedly true, there are a lot of people who refuse to go to Withdean and only go to away games. It costs more to travel the country than get the free bus up to Withdean.

And respect to those on here who don't go because of the cost. If they have got higher priorities than supporting the Albion (Sky TV, ten pints a night down the pub) then fair enough.

I am afraid that whilst the cost is important, losing the habit of going down the Albion is more of a factor in my opinion. Hopefully the cheap kids season ticket next year will help a few get the habit back.

You may well be right about Withdean, it is not a nice place to watch football especially on days like today !

Harty

Jul 7, 2003
Sussex
Is your definition of a fan someone who goes to most/all games?

Yes Darren I know you live in Somerset and cannot get to all of the games for obvious reasons, and that doesn't make you any less a fan.

This thread is based on people we have all met who live locally, ie Brighton, Worthing etc, who purport to support the club but will only return actively when Falmer is up and running.

sten

sister ray
Jul 14, 2003
eastside

Dont you think the club has done alot to improve the costs with all these deals lately, people will always find an excuse be it cost, weather, not pay on the day, withdean,league 1 football,people in sussex have always been very fickle.It will be fantastic when we get Falmer to see a full house for the 1st few games but also i will feel slighty peeved seeing all these so called supporters coming out the woodwork, im not a superfan i just support my club{35 years this year} at home where ever that is.:eek:

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005

But can you really blame people for wanting to get maximum enjoyment from their expenditure?

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park

Is that possible? Please tell me it's possible

np-louise_nurding11_800.jpg

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Yes Darren I know you live in Somerset and cannot get to all of the games for obvious reasons, and that doesn't make you any less a fan.

This thread is based on people we have all met who live locally, ie Brighton, Worthing etc, who purport to support the club but will only return actively when Falmer is up and running.

I wasn't asking you anything Ian, I was asking Dougdeep.

But as you mention it, there are no obvious reasons why I can't go to all games. During the first 2 or 3 years of my West Country exile I retained my season ticket and still made 40+ games a season. Home and away. Saturdays and midweek, I was nearly always there. Like many of those you are speaking to, I guess, I got Withdean fatigue. Of course, like a lot of others too, I find I can get over this fatigue for a 'big' game or if there is a chance of some glory. Hell, I'm even thinking of getting my arse into gear and coming back next Saturday.

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
Port Vale Tickets are only £13 each, I am sure all the "Fans" can afford that ...

So Albion fan = someone with sufficient disposable income to pay for some of the most expensive tickets outside of the Premier League.

Albion "fan" = someone who can't.

Thanks for clearing that up.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I am afraid that whilst the cost is important, losing the habit of going down the Albion is more of a factor in my opinion.

You are spot on - people do get out of the habit of going to football. At one point during the Gillingham years I bust my leg quite badly. Sitting in the car for the tour of the motorways of the South-East was not possible whilst I was recuperating so, despite having a paid-up season ticket, I didn't go for a few games.

And, do you know, weekends became quite good. For the first time in years (other than the brief Summer period) my weekends were suddenly 2 days not a football day and a Sunday. I quickly got out of the habit. There will be thousands across Sussex who are out of the habit and it's going to take something very significant to get them back into it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here