Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Statuatory Sick Pay question

highway61

Jun 30, 2009
can anyone confirm i have got this right. i have searched on-line and think i have understood it right. my company's policy is 6 months full pay when off sick and then 6 months half pay + SSP ( with the total of the two not exceeding normal full salary). im fairly sure thats how it was explained to me, but have been a bit anxious today when doing budget for the month.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
I may be wrong but I thought SSP was only payable for 28 weeks after the first three days sick so not sure if an employer can start paying it after six months. Haven't done any research on it though.

tedebear

Legal Alien
NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
IF your company has a ssp scheme so they agree to pay you an amount more than SSP per week for 28 weeks, so you'll need to check the rules of the ssp scheme (you seem to suggest their scheme is full pay?), after 28 weeks you defer to half pay plus SSP ( £79.15) per week.

highway61

Jun 30, 2009
IF your company has a ssp scheme so they agree to pay you an amount more than SSP per week for 28 weeks, so you'll need to check the rules of the ssp scheme (you seem to suggest their scheme is full pay?), after 28 weeks you defer to half pay plus SSP ( £79.15) per week.

yes mate. thats what it is, scheme is full pay. i was fairly certain they had explained it the way you have described it. was thrown a bit today as they are paying the ssp element separately

blackprince

Jul 16, 2007
I agree with GAZWAG that SSP is only payable for 28 weeks after the first three days. If the sickness lasts for more than that 28 week period, either Incapacity Benefit or Employment and Support Allowance has to be claimed.

I think it would be unusual for an employer's scheme to pay out your normal salary plus SSP. I believe it is more likely that when sick, your salary will be made up of two elements that together come to the normal amount of your salary. If SSP is currently £79.15 per week and you earn for example £300 per week your employer will contribute the other £220.85. After being sick for 28 weeks SSP drops to nothing and your employer will reduce what he pays you to £150.

Last edited:

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
I agree with GAZWAG that SSP is only payable for 28 weeks after the first three days. If the sickness lasts for more than that 28 week period, either Incapacity Benefit or Employment and Support Allowance has to be claimed.

I think it would be unusual for an employer's scheme to pay out your normal salary plus SSP. I believe it is more likely that when sick, your salary will be made up of two elements that together come to the normal amount of your salary. If SSP is currently £79.15 per week and you earn for example £300 per week your employer will contribute the other £220.85. After being sick for 28 weeks SSP drops to nothing and your employer will reduce what he pays you to £150.

Thats exactly how it works with our company, I've never heard of a scheme that starts paying after 28 weeks.

This suggests that SSP is something that is funded by the state. Not so.

The EMPLOYER pays SSP and can only claim a refund from HMRC if, in a tax month, the total SSP that the employer pays to ALL employees is more than 13 per cent of the total gross employer's plus employees' Class 1 National Insurance contributions (NICs) for the same tax month.

highway61

Jun 30, 2009
am far wiser now. My employer has their own sick pay sheme by which they pay the complete salary for six months, with no SSP involved. as below

Employees who are on sick leave will not see SSP itemised on their pay statements while they are receiving full pay. When the employee is in receipt of half pay, SSP will be paid in addition to contractual pay.

am far wiser now. My employer has their own sick pay sheme by which they pay the complete salary for six months, with no SSP involved. as below

Employees who are on sick leave will not see SSP itemised on their pay statements while they are receiving full pay. When the employee is in receipt of half pay, SSP will be paid in addition to contractual pay.
But remember ... Once you have been off work for more than 28 weeks, the entitlement to SSP is nil.

My guess is that your employer counts the first £79.15 pw of the full pay that you receive for the first six months as SSP. He just doesn't mention this on your pay statement.

highway61

Jun 30, 2009
But remember ... Once you have been off work for more than 28 weeks, the entitlement to SSP is nil.

My guess is that your employer counts the first £79.15 pw of the full pay that you receive for the first six months as SSP. He just doesn't mention this on your pay statement.

My 28 weeks ended mid April, since then SSP has started being paid on top of half salary. payroll phoning later to explain it fully thank god!

My 28 weeks ended mid April, since then SSP has started being paid on top of half salary. payroll phoning later to explain it fully thank god!

Good news. I suspect that they are paying you £79.15pw + half salary. All out of their own coffers. I don't think they are able to claim back the £79.15 from HMRC - but they would only be able to do that if they had a fair few people in receipt of SSP.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here