Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Staffs / Pitbulls / Dobermans etc

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
The next door neighbour of a good friend had her cat savaged and killed by a Pitbull. The dog and owner are known to the RSPCA and Police, but they are currently powerless to act apparently.

Granted, it may have only been a cat, but it could be a small child next.

There are plenty of menacing dogs around where I live. Always two chavvy looking chaps, big chain and salivating/badly behaved dog.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Cant say ive ever noticed much in European news about these sort of dogs. Theres pitbulls by the hundreds here, but from what ive seen of them, they are generally soppy.
Think people in UK train them to be their weapon.

HampshireSeagulls

Moulding Generation Z
Jul 19, 2005
Bedford
Not even close. Owners need culling, not the dogs. The worst bite I ever got was from a horse, but I don't demand they all get turned into glue and salami. Not even US's betting tips and I am sure they are responsible for more misery than all the "devil dogs" put together.

We are getting an Bull Terrier. My mate has one and the only damage it has done is to break his nose because he blew on her back and she spun round trying to see where the breeze was coming from...

Nappy thrower

Banned
Dec 17, 2009
Floor above Bushy
The next door neighbour of a good friend had her cat savaged and killed by a Pitbull. The dog and owner are known to the RSPCA and Police, but they are currently powerless to act apparently.

There are plenty of menacing dogs around where I live. Always two chavvy looking chaps, big chain and salivating/badly behaved dog.

Think you are getting confused.Pitbulls are a banned breed and so the police would have acted upon it. Think you ment Bull terrier which don't come under the dangerous dogs act and rightly so.
You are like a lot of other dimwits who jump in feet first without knowing much about dog breeds.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
The truth is that there aren't bad dogs so much as bad owners. Staffies are usually the friendliest dogs you could ever meet but since they have replaced the Rottweiller as the chav dog of choice their reputation has gone downhill. I have met plenty of very friendly Rotties and once or twice a not too nasty pitbull although I draw the line with them as they are inherently dangerous and frankly should be banned.

Sadly dogs will attack cats but normally the cat, having sharp claws, will get the better of the dog. It's worth noting that foxes often kill cats as both are so often nocturnal. Badgers too will have a go at anything if challenged.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Think you are getting confused.Pitbulls are a banned breed and so the police would have acted upon it. Think you ment Bull terrier which don't come under the dangerous dogs act and rightly so.
You are like a lot of other dimwits who jump in feet first without knowing much about dog breeds.

Dimwit. :laugh:

My mistake, I got the name wrong. I was under the impression that the dog is called a Staffordshire Pit Bull Terrier.

HampshireSeagulls

Moulding Generation Z
Jul 19, 2005
Bedford

See, cats are by nature animals which put themselves in places they shouldn't. For a dog to actually catch and kill one is pretty rare. I imagine the cat was possibly mid-shit with it's mind on something else. Most of these dogs are so dopey and excitable that they cannot help but make a racket when they approach and defend their territory. Do you complain when cats catch and kill birds or is that "animal nature"?

The RSPCA and Police are far from powerless to act - they have many laws that they can use relating to this incident.

Just because a dog attacks another animal does not mean it will go for a small child. Logically following your argument would mean that once it had gone for a cat, then a child, it would be out taking down horses and small cars next, followed by an attempt to depose the leadership of a small country.

Because the dog is salivating does not make it a "devil dog" - just thirsty or thinking about dinner. And how exactly is it "badly behaved"? Is it spraying graffiti on walls? Is it abusing old ladies in the street? Is it swearing at all and sundry and spitting on the floor or dropping cigarette butts and other litter? Or is it just being walked?

The media love these stories, they are cop outs. In the story in question, for the lady to be asleep and then waking to being savaged by a dog raises all sorts of questions. Not saying she is lying, but I don't expect the dog will get a chance to put his side of the story...

Mowgli

Sep 18, 2008
Brighton
English Staffies are actually quite lovley, people often confuse them with the American Staffie which is one of the reasons staffies get such bad press.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Its like saying all criminals , people that murder / cause abh etc etc arn't to blame , its the way they were treated growing up.

Not always true. Some of these dogs brains go , and when it does it doesnt matter how they have been brought up , they are dangerous.

What amazes me more is parents that have these dogs with kids.

Those parents are shockers

gullshark

Dec 5, 2005
Worthing
Some of those comments on the article are frankly pathetic and ill informed and to be fair breed specific legislation is a complete waste of time as any dog is capable of mauling something.

My gf has a staffy cross and she's probably the sweetest dog I've ever met, not a malicious bone in her body. I'm afraid it's the owners that need to take the fall for this, staffs are always willing to please their master and are generally very courageous dogs so if they have been trained to attack and bark then they will.

I'm also willing to bet that 99% of dogs that attack people haven't been neutered too.

As for the dribbling thing, my gf's dog does when we cook bacon!

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Dimwit. :laugh:

My mistake, I got the name wrong. I was under the impression that the dog is called a Staffordshire Pit Bull Terrier.

Not too hard to make that mistake as they are closely related however a Pit bull is bred for fighting plain and simple, they have the genes of forebears with an aggressive streak. However a badly brought up Staff can be very dangerous but that can be said of most breed, it's just that the Staff has a very powerful jaw and do more damage than most.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
See, cats are by nature animals which put themselves in places they shouldn't. For a dog to actually catch and kill one is pretty rare. I imagine the cat was possibly mid-shit with it's mind on something else. Most of these dogs are so dopey and excitable that they cannot help but make a racket when they approach and defend their territory. Do you complain when cats catch and kill birds or is that "animal nature"?

The RSPCA and Police are far from powerless to act - they have many laws that they can use relating to this incident.

Just because a dog attacks another animal does not mean it will go for a small child. Logically following your argument would mean that once it had gone for a cat, then a child, it would be out taking down horses and small cars next, followed by an attempt to depose the leadership of a small country.

Because the dog is salivating does not make it a "devil dog" - just thirsty or thinking about dinner. And how exactly is it "badly behaved"? Is it spraying graffiti on walls? Is it abusing old ladies in the street? Is it swearing at all and sundry and spitting on the floor or dropping cigarette butts and other litter? Or is it just being walked?

The media love these stories, they are cop outs. In the story in question, for the lady to be asleep and then waking to being savaged by a dog raises all sorts of questions. Not saying she is lying, but I don't expect the dog will get a chance to put his side of the story...

Certain breeds drool quite naturally, St Bernards and Newfoundlands do it a lot and while they are both huge breeds they are just not aggressive at all. A drooling dog doesn't mean it's got rabies, not in Britain anyway.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
My mother has a Staffy.Super freindly dog around kids and adults. They do have a reputation of not getting on with other dogs.
Great family dog in my opinion.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
One of the nicest dogs I've met, and got close with, is a Staff.

I'm sure there are plenty of Staffs who are, on the whole, perfectly lovable creatures, and loads of people attest to this. "He wouldn't hurt a fly" etc, followed by the apparent complete bewilderment when one day it snaps and rips someone to shreds. They do seem to be a breed that are often involved in the type of incidents we've had once again here.

I've never once heard of a Labrador eating someones face. Or a Collie going nuts and mauling a toddler to death. But a Staff ?

Of course you can blame the owners, and to an extent its probably largely true. But there are certain breeds which seem to have an inherent malevolence within them - how close to the surface that violence lurks will be dictated to how it was brought up and looked after. But some of them are clearly ticking timebombs.

Anyone who would happily leave a toddler with one of these dogs wants their head examined. In my opinion, like.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here