Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Stadium of Light....a HARROWING tale

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
The only blotch on an otherwise splendid day out at Sunderland (other than the result), was a harrowing and humiliating experience I had with my seat in the Stadium of Light.

Just before kickoff, I decided I would like a photo of my mates with the whole stadium behind them. To get the picture, I thought I would climb over into the row behind me. So I folded down my seat to stand on it and clamber over. However, in all the excitement and rush before kickoff, I made the fatal error of standing on the back of the seat. Before I could react, my leg was immediatly swallowed by the seat as it flipped up like a bear trap, and I was sent lunging over into a woman in the row behind. Amused grins were all around me as I tried to make out that I wasn't in excruciating pain as my shin was mashed against the back of the seat and the hinges. I set about trying to free my leg. My foot was trapped in the gap between the back of the seat and the seat itself, and it was proving very difficult to dislodge as I pulled and lurched around with camera in hand. Mild panic set in as I realised that if I fell over, I would probably break my leg. No-one offered to help, but in truth I would probably have waved them away, as I wanted to maintain at least some vague sense that I was in complete control of the situation.

Eventually I summonsed up a mammoth effort, and heaved my trainered foot up through the gap, almost toppling over backwards in the process as I finally burst free like a cork from a bottle. The amused looks continued as I gave myself a moment to draw breath and recover my composure. I set about gathering up the shredded remains of my dignity, before the Dunkirk spirit welled up inside of me and I decided I would NOT be beaten. Trembling slightly, I once again folded the seat down, stepped gingerly up onto the front of it, and leapt with one graceful movement up and over into the row behind. I landed cat-like with a flourish, and almost expected applause. None was forthcoming, but I felt there was a quiet respect from those around me for facing up to that challenge again so soon after my ordeal.

My shin has ugly scrape-marks and I have a bruised toe from my battle with the seat, but I got the photo, and god-willing I will display it on these pages once it has been developed. I only hope it was worth it.

Last edited:

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Hadn't been drinking had you? ???

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
dougdeep said:
Hadn't been drinking had you? ???
I'd be lying if I said I hadn't. Yes, I'd had a few before kickoff. I was quite lucid though (as Yorkie, Ned, Artois, Beach Hut, Soton and Mr C will testify), and I maintain that my unfortunate incident could have happened to anyone. Drink had absolutely nothing to do with it.

Last edited:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
skitz said:
A page devoted to telling people about everything you do.
Ahhh, right. In other words "stop telling people about your trip to Sunderland". Sorry to have bored you then skitz, but I think you'll find quite a few people post up their own experiences on things such as away trips - its kind of common on here.

As it seems to be bothering you, I'll try to remain secretive in future and keep myself to myself. I can't bear the thought of skitz having to wade through page upon page of what other people have done. How could I have been so SELFISH.

Sorry.

Dancin Ninja BHA

Jul 6, 2003
Easy 10 said:
but I think you'll find quite a few people post up their own experiences on things such as away trips - its kind of common on here.

Quite right Easy

Your tale of woe remind me of a Tuesday night trip to Rochdale 4 (?) years ago, Chippy scored a goal-of-the-season-contender in the 89th minute, went mad, fell/was pushed into the seats in front of me and landed on my back, like a beached whale, with my foot entagled into the seat!! Couldn't get up, was in agony. Didn't know whether to laugh or cry........................I laughed ;) (However wasn't laughing later when Rochdale equalised in the 95 minute, especially when the fourth official had put up 3 MINUTES for extra time :angry: )

skitz

Feb 24, 2004
It was only a suggestion. I don't care what you post. I thought you might like to have a page where you could carry on in more detail.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
skitz said:
It was only a suggestion. I don't care what you post. I thought you might like to have a page where you could carry on in more detail.
Yes, that really is an excellent suggestion. Kind of like a "diary", with no replies or conversation. 5,000-odd posts on NSC and this has never ONCE occured to me.

Thanks skitz. Anyone else want to follow this idea ? I'm sure we'll have this site trimmed down in no time. REMEMBER - any time you feel an urge to write something that happened to you personally, just pause a moment, log off of NSC, and write it in your WEBLOG instead.

Marvellous.

Thimble Keegan

Remy LeBeau
Jul 7, 2003
Rustington, Littlehampton
Dancin Ninja BHA said:
Quite right Easy

Your tale of woe remind me of a Tuesday night trip to Rochdale 4 (?) years ago, Chippy scored a goal-of-the-season-contender in the 89th minute, went mad, fell/was pushed into the seats in front of me and landed on my back, like a beached whale, with my foot entagled into the seat!! Couldn't get up, was in agony. Didn't know whether to laugh or cry........................I laughed ;) (However wasn't laughing later when Rochdale equalised in the 95 minute, especially when the fourth official had put up 3 MINUTES for extra time :angry: )

I was at that game as well and the only thing that cheered me up from Rochdale's equaliser was the fact Man Yoo went out of the European Cup on the same night...The journey back down the motorway with all the southern based Man Yoo fans was classic as much laughing and hand signals were aimed in their direction.

Albion & England forever.

Thimble Keegan
Worthing BHA

Last edited:

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
Easy 10 said:
Yes, that really is an excellent suggestion. Kind of like a "diary", with no replies or conversation. 5,000-odd posts on NSC and this has never ONCE occured to me.

Thanks skitz. Anyone else want to follow this idea ? I'm sure we'll have this site trimmed down in no time. REMEMBER - any time you feel an urge to write something that happened to you personally, just pause a moment, log off of NSC, and write it in your WEBLOG instead.

Marvellous.

So you have got a dark side then Easy? A bit of an OTT reaction. Try to treat praise and criticism equally.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I'm a big boy, I can take it. I find the Dark Side seductive....

Eggmundo

U & I R listening to KAOS
Jul 8, 2003
Easy 10 said:
Ahhh, right. In other words "stop telling people about your trip to Sunderland". Sorry to have bored you then skitz, but I think you'll find quite a few people post up their own experiences on things such as away trips - its kind of common on here.

As it seems to be bothering you, I'll try to remain secretive in future and keep myself to myself. I can't bear the thought of skitz having to wade through page upon page of what other people have done. How could I have been so SELFISH.

Sorry.
Woooooo
Touchy or What!

Wardy

NSC's Benefits Guru
Oct 9, 2003
In front of the PC
If you were to start a weblog Easy I would log on to it if you promise to keep the quality of the postings that you have done here. Just a few questions though.....

1. Did you give the seat a good kicking after?

2. Why not sue Sunderland for the poor design in seats?

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
i like EASY 10 and i felt sorry for him- i am ALWAYS falling over seats mate so dont worry - it happens - specially as im usually HAMMERED innit:dunce:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Wardywonderland said:

1. Did you give the seat a good kicking after?

2. Why not sue Sunderland for the poor design in seats?
I'd already embarrassed meself enough by then, and I only have my own clumsiness and ineptitude to blame really. If a steward had seen me, I'd have probably been ejected on suspicion of being drunk and disorderly.

:dunce:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here