Timbo

Jul 5, 2003
Hassocks
Kicked off at 6 to avoid a clash with the Champions League on the telly.:nono:

Unbelievable, what a noddy league.

philsussex

Dec 9, 2006
Good Old Sussex By the Sea
Not many have bothered to turn up to watch it either.

Anyway, who cares about the Champions League! I'll be watching SSN and taking an interest in the more important games being played this evening :thumbsup:

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
Kicked off at 6 to avoid a clash with the Champions League on the telly.:nono:

Unbelievable, what a noddy league.

You might have a point, if it wasn't actually a UEFA rule that no top level game can clash with Champs League, and the SPL and SFA have appealed several times to avoid this situation. But hey, carry on...

Timbo

Jul 5, 2003
Hassocks
But hey, carry on...

Thanks, I will. Tomorrow nights fixtures:

Wednesday, 6 April 2011
Uefa Champions League
Barcelona v Shakhtar Donetsk, QFL1, L1, 19:45
Chelsea v Man Utd, QFL1, L1, 19:45

Clydesdale Bank Premier League
Celtic v Hibernian, 19:45
Motherwell v Dundee Utd, 19:45
St Mirren v Aberdeen, 19:45

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
Thanks, I will. Tomorrow nights fixtures:

Wednesday, 6 April 2011
Uefa Champions League
Barcelona v Shakhtar Donetsk, QFL1, L1, 19:45
Chelsea v Man Utd, QFL1, L1, 19:45

Clydesdale Bank Premier League
Celtic v Hibernian, 19:45
Motherwell v Dundee Utd, 19:45
St Mirren v Aberdeen, 19:45

Those games haven't already had the rights sold to a TV company who have paid the money...

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
You might have a point, if it wasn't actually a UEFA rule that no top level game can clash with Champs League, and the SPL and SFA have appealed several times to avoid this situation. But hey, carry on...
Are you sure about that? Pretty sure I remember there being other Premiership teams playing on Champs League evenings before?

Edit: Just seen your second post :thumbsup:

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
Are you sure about that? Pretty sure I remember there being other Premiership teams playing on Champs League evenings before?

Probably should've been clearer in my first post - its in terms of TV. ESPN paid up the money to show that game a long time ago, and theres a massive fixture backlog in Scotland. The re-arranged game can only be played tonight or tommorow (without then moving other TV games which will eventually domino past the end of the season), and ESPN have quite rightly insisted that they get to show it. Under UEFA rules no top-flight game can clash on TV with a champs league game, therefore the SPL either refund money to their TV partner (and piss off a lot of Rangers fans up and down the country who want to watch it), or make it an early kick off. So nothing to do with Scottish football whatsoever, and everything to do with Platini and his gang. I'd imagine exactly the same would happen with the Premiership if they had lost so many games earlier on.

J2 BHA

NSC Patron
Jul 28, 2004
Doesn't explain why it would affect Scottish football though

Good point, well made.

Reminds me of a game I went to at Parkhead about 4 or 5 years ago...Celtic were top and Hearts were second and Hearts took no more than 500! In a strange way it made me realise that, all joking apart, the SPL really is a similar league to League One with Ranges/Celtic being the equivalent of the 'fallen giants' like Man City and Leeds who have graced our third tier in recent(ish) years. It has to be said the quality of football is very similar, must be quite depressing if you're a Rangers or Celtic fan given the sheer size of both clubs and their support.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here