Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sports Personality of the Year 2008

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
I know that it is a bit early to run a thread on the favourites or who you want to win, but can you see anthing else other than a 1-2-3 including Chris Hoy, Rebecca Adlington and Ben Ainslie...I feel a bit gutted for anyone who plays non-Olympic sports, they are unlikely to get a look in.

clarkey

Jan 3, 2006
Depends on how Andy Murray fares over the next fortnight. Actually, on second thoughts, think your prediction is safe.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I know that it is a bit early to run a thread on the favourites or who you want to win, but can you see anthing else other than a 1-2-3 including Chris Hoy, Rebecca Adlington and Ben Ainslie...I feel a bit sorry for anyone who plays non-Olympic sports, they are unlikely to get a look in.

Lewis Hamilton NAILED on :thumbsup:

The Olympians are totally anonymous. Can YOU tell yer Chris Hoys from yer Ben Ainslies? If so, good for you. But millions have forgotten them already.

Nice to see no footballers anywhere near the top of the list.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I feel a bit sorry for anyone who plays non-Olympic sports, they are unlikely to get a look in.

.........but we aint good at anything else so no need to worry.

Wardy

NSC's Benefits Guru
Oct 9, 2003
In front of the PC

The Olympians are totally anonymous. Can YOU tell yer Chris Hoys from yer Ben Ainslies? If so, good for you. But millions have forgotten them already.

Agreed even now if Rebecca Adlington was to walk in to a busy pub hardly anyone if anyone at all would know who she was. Face it a guy from BBC got confused for Phelps who had just won his 8th Gold in 8 days.

In lots of cases these are minority sports that most of us will not watch again until the next big event.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

I think we'll be seeing a lot more of the Olympians over the coming 4 years though...

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Must have been the most unpredictable market for years at the bookies.

What price would you have got on Rebecca Adlington each way two months ago? A decent punter who knew their cycling might have had a go at Chris Hoy at a big price, knowing he could win three golds.

If Hamilton wins the Championship, or Murray wins the US Open (less likely), all bets are off once again.

Only one thing is certain - footballers, though they may be recognised, will be nowhere.

Gully

Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
I am just hoping that it will be one of the three I mentioned at the start of the thread, regardless of the merits of messrs Hamilton and Murray, all three have trained for years to reach the pinnacles of their respective careers at the Olympics (Though I suspect we may see all of them feature in London 2012)...they may have to extend the show just to do justice to the highlights.

Conkers

Jan 11, 2006
Haywards Heath
What price would you have got on Rebecca Adlington each way two months ago?

Just after she won her 1st gold she was anywhere from 20-40/1 dependant on the bookie you look at. I'm guessing she must have been at least 100 or maybe even 200/1 before the Olympics started.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
I'd like to see Hoy get it, but a lot can happen before then.

Zesh Rehman

Sep 6, 2006
Oxford
The last 2 years Zara Phillips and a boxer won it, now we actually have some true sporting personalities again. Its going to be Adlington id say. Hoy in with a good shout, as is Ainslee, maybe Hamilton if he doesnt f*** up and probably Laura Robson.

Gully

Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
The last 2 years Zara Phillips and a boxer won it, now we actually have some true sporting personalities again. Its going to be Adlington id say. Hoy in with a good shout, as is Ainslee, maybe Hamilton if he doesnt f*** up and probably Laura Robson.

I would say that Robson must be in a head to head with Tom Daley for the Young Sportsman award.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here