Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Spokey Dokeys my arse.

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
Saw an advert on the telly for a cereal giving away spokey dokeys. "Cool" I thought I remember having some of those. However, it seems from the advert they just clip to the spokes and don't slide up and down thus removing their main purpose in life which was to make the metal clanking noise as they slid up and down and hit the rim of your wheel
How could you take something as simple and perfect as spokey dokeys and ruin them so badly.
Is there anything from your childhood that's been re-released and completely ruined?

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
Rangdo said:

Is there anything from your childhood that's been re-released and completely ruined?

Does the new Band Aid single count?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
The new Chopper annoys me.

The COOLEST thing about the Chopper was that tremendous gear lever on the frame of the bike. Raleigh's re-released Chopper has the gears on the handles, presumably a "health and safety" requirement in this new and dangerous world, so kids don't have to (gasp) take a hand off the handlebars to change gear.

Honestly, its a wonder any of us grew up at all. Going by todays toy manufacturers, by rights we should all have been killed before our mid-teens. I'm going to sound really old now (I'm 33), but I guarantee it was MUCH more fun being kids growing up in the 70's and 80's then it is for kids nowadays.

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
Easy 10 said:

The COOLEST thing about the Chopper was that tremendous gear lever on the frame of the bike. Raleigh's re-released Chopper has the gears on the handles, presumably a "health and safety" requirement in this new and dangerous world, so kids don't have to (gasp) take a hand off the handlebars to change gear.

Honestly, its a wonder any of us grew up at all. Going by todays toy manufacturers, by rights we should all have been killed before our mid-teens. I'm going to sound really old now (I'm 33), but I guarantee it was MUCH more fun being kids growing up in the 70's and 80's then it is for kids nowadays.

Does having to take your hand off the handlebars to change gear really add that much fun to the experience then???

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Easy 10 said:

I think rather than the ease of gear changing, it is more likely to be the risk to teenage testicles caused by the aforementioned 'tremendous gear lever' that caused the re-design. :lolol:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
samparish said:
Does having to take your hand off the handlebars to change gear really add that much fun to the experience then???
Yes.

I used to love it, because it was almost like a car gearstick. It was uniquely different and much more fun that "sturmy gears" or one of those poncy little levers on the handlebars.

Titanics reservations about potential nadger-damage is valid, but wheres the fun when theres no risk ? Pain, mutilation and laceration is all part of growing and learning. You learn more about life by falling off a bike and doing serious damage to yourself than you do with a week in an overcrowded classroom.

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
Look at the HORNS on this beast:
chopper.jpg

Which ones YOU Easy? :D
usonchop.jpg

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
The gears in between your legs was the best thing about the Chopper.
How about some of these on your spokes Easy?

Do you remember Spokey Dokeys?

Spokey Dokeys Description: Coloured plastic balls that you fitted to the spokes of your bike so that when you rode around slowly they would clatter up and down noisily and when you rode fast the centrifugal force would push them all out to the wheel rim and they would just look like a coloured blur.

I'm not sure who first had the idea for these but Spokey Dokeys were made even more popular when they were given away free inside boxes of breakfast cereal.

spokey-dokeys.jpg

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Rangdo said:
The gears in between your legs was the best thing about the Chopper.
How about some of these on your spokes Easy?
Naah. I used to like pegging a bit of card to my rear wheel, made it sound like a MEATY motorbike. Much better.

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
Easy 10 said:
Naah. I used to like pegging a bit of card to my rear wheel, made it sound like a MEATY motorbike. Much better.

Lollipop sticks were more hardy and made a much better sound

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here