Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Spectators at Brighton marathon

Dirty Dave

Aug 28, 2006
Worthing
I know there are a couple of marathon threads already but thought this deserved one of its own.

Today was my first marathon and I could not believe how much the cheering and support of people watching spurred me on.

I had my name on the front of my top and the amount of times I heard it being shouted was unbelievable. It's no coincedence that the only times I struggled a bit was when there weren't many people watching, near Shoreham Power station for instance.

So if your one of the thousands of people there who cheered us runners on, don't be under any illusions, it made a MASSIVE difference. Thanks!

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
My mate who was running her 48th was very impressed with the support. She actually said Berlin and London (from an org/care of runners) could learn ALOT from Brighton.

Praise indeed.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
No problem.....we tried to encourage everyone we saw moving three places...boundary road, the pub by hove lagoon and on the seafront opposite the lagoon. Hope you were one of those we called out to.

We were so impressed by everyone...including the bloke carrying the rhino!!!!!!

Great to see so many running for the martlets too...well done trudy Roberts. Family are all albion fans and she was struggling last week to get fit.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Have never run a marathon, and am hardly ever likely too either, but I can say I felt exactly the same way the first time I did the London->Brighton bike ride. The clapping and cheering as I rode the final stages through the streets of Brighton was an amazing feeling that has stayed with me for years.

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
We took great enjoyment at clapping and cheering people on down by hove seafront. My daughter loved it and we even helped some poor souls get jogging again once the had grinded to a walk with our encouragement with just a couple of miles remaining.
Well done to everyone who took part. I have run in 10m events but im amazed people try and run 26. A real acheivement IMO.

mistahclarke

Jul 28, 2009
I run the first one with little training, doing jogs only and the furthest run a 10k run the sunday before. On the day I accidently wiped my ipod and was gutted!

Turned out was brilliant for me as like you they spurred me on to do the first 17 before I hit the wall on church road. Walked all of shoreham power station as it's horrible round there and I knew I had Hove lawns to go as would see lots of people I knew.

Best feeling ever, but have found a video from just after where I swore I'd NEVER do it again.

D

Deleted User X18H

The spectators were brilliant. I had so many shouts of Seagulls to spur me on. Young and old . Young lads shouting Seagulls was superb.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
My son and i watched at the bottom of east street and shouted as many names as we could and seagulls to anyone sporting the stripes, and even some lighthearted booing to the palace shirts!

Lady Gull

Aug 6, 2011
West sussex
Great to watch you all - we were near Hove Museum in New Church Road. Gave everyone in Seagulls shirts a big shout - well done to you all x

A special well done to Steve Foster - we are very proud of you babe xxxx and good luck for the London marathon next week - you crazy fool xxx

Last edited by a moderator:

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
I was really struggling by Hove Lagoon and random people shouting at me to carry on was an immense feeling.

I felt rather tearful towards the end with so many people yelling at me and others.

Definitely would not have made it without such great support.

Special mention to those that stayed until 3pm + !!

D

Deleted User X18H

Oh right. There was one guy who had grandad on the back of his shirt with the dates of his life on.

No mate I had a 83 Cup Final. My wife crafted an REMF logo on it. I nodded to a couple of lads in Albion Shirts.

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
im going to run the Great South again this year and will have my Albion top on there. Bet i get a right load of abuse!

Richy_Seagull

Oct 7, 2003
Brighton
My legs went from under me with the finish in sight just before the 26 mile mark just as I happened to be the only one there. The roar of my name from what seemed like everyone around there actually choked me up. Don't think I would have made sub 4 without it.

danwa08

Sep 19, 2010
we support you ever more!!!! we loved cheering you on, my brother in law did it today his first, and timed 4hrs 12 mins so proud of you mate, and he commented on the support of the brightonians calling his name out to encourage him, brilliant.....the winner clocked 2hrs 12 mins!!! some going that!! :banana:

7:18

Brighton & Hove Albion
Aug 6, 2006
Brighton, England
Turned out was brilliant for me as like you they spurred me on to do the first 17 before I hit the wall on church road. Walked all of shoreham power station as it's horrible round there and I knew I had Hove lawns to go.

exactly the same for me mate

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here