Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Spare a thought for Rustle Salad.

D

Deleted User X18H

The team he put together at no small cost who he simply couldn't get to play for him, have after just 4 days turned in to a slick footballing unit under Gas and Morerice.

It won't look good at interview ''so what happened at Brighton Russ?'' ''Well I wasn't given enough time for them to gel?'' Hmmm!

scouse23

Jan 30, 2008
Yes agree with you 100% think he has possibly gone past his sell by date, at the end of the day he could not inspire the players, management is all about making someone get to where you and they both want to be.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
To be fair Slade was the second coming once we were clear of relegation. Not denying that GP has had a great start but I would be interested to see people's opinions after Christmas. I hope I am being unnecessarily pessimistic but more than a few people were thrilled to bits when MA returned as well.

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
Yes agree with you 100% think he has possibly gone past his sell by date, at the end of the day he could not inspire the players, management is all about making someone get to where you and they both want to be.

Agreed, Slade put together a pretty good squad of players, which Gus will hopefully take full advantage of. How well Gus moves in the Transfer Market or Loan Market, is yet to be seen, of course.

Well done to Slade for bringing in some quality players, shame he couldn't get them working as a unit like they did yesterday.

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
Whatever you say about Slade, the signings of Bennett, Crofts, Dicker, Tunnicliffe and Dickinson put us in a very good position for the future.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Whatever you say about Slade, the signings of Bennett, Crofts, Dicker, Tunnicliffe and Dickinson put us in a very good position for the future.
Correct. It seems like Salde could spot a player, but didn't have the presence to instill respect, belief or maybe even fitness into his side.

I can't imagine Virgo getting away with saying he'd give Gus "the benefit of the doubt" in the local paper, and indeed I doubt we'll have rumours of players not turning up to training because they fancy a day off.

All conjecture of course, but it's certainly not his player selection that has let Slade down.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
agree totally Simster.

I wonder if Virgo's benching was down to his comments. It's a strong message and giving Crofts the captaincy seems more permanent than this one game I reckon.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
If Russell Slade had had a fit Glenn Murray, I think he'd still be in a job here. I think we wouldn't have signed Dickinson, and Murray would have played every game with Forster up front. It could all have been so different... if only Murray had been fit. :down:

But that's just from the outside looking in. Personally, I love Russell Slade and I think he did a cracking job for us and signed alot of good players. The only criticism I would have of him is that the squad is too big now, he signed players without removing some of the deadwood. You can't tell me that NOONE would take Livermore, even for free. And you can't tell me that NOONE would have taken Hawkins either. I think the squad was probably a bit too big for him to manage, it can't have been easy for him juggling so many players personalities and desires to be in the side. I think if he had been able to trim alot more of the squad in the summer so that he only had a small and tight squad, as opposed to the large and fractured (I'm guessing, I have no "source") squad we actually have.

I only think it's fractured because of the comments made by Forster and Virgo after Slade's departure, where they suggested that not everyone was behind Slade.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

Totally agree....you could add Wright to that too, when played in the correct position.

Slade scarcely made a duff purchase (Smith perhaps) - he can certainly pick a player.

theonesmith

Oct 27, 2008
Correct. It seems like Salde could spot a player, but didn't have the presence to instill respect, belief or maybe even fitness into his side.

I can't imagine Virgo getting away with saying he'd give Gus "the benefit of the doubt" in the local paper, and indeed I doubt we'll have rumours of players not turning up to training because they fancy a day off.

All conjecture of course, but it's certainly not his player selection that has let Slade down.

Still don't get this, when at the end of last season it was his "excellent man management" that inspired our team to keep us up. I quoted that because it probably IS a quote- so many of our team, experienced players such as Nicky Forster, commented on how good he was at managing players and motivating the side.

I don't think it was his man managing skills that let him down- I wouldn't want to speculate at the real reason.

And can we really rate GP so highly after one game? I take my hat off to him for it, but do I think the euphoria around the win might be a little to much? Expectations a little too high?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
And can we really rate GP so highly after one game? I take my hat off to him for it, but do I think the euphoria around the win might be a little to much? Expectations a little too high?
We'll have a better picture by the turn of the year. Leeds, Norwich and Charlton up next, and they will all be tough, followed by a few games we might think we ought to win.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
The only criticism I would have of him is that the squad is too big now, he signed players without removing some of the deadwood. You can't tell me that NOONE would take Livermore, even for free. And you can't tell me that NOONE would have taken Hawkins either. I think the squad was probably a bit too big for him to manage, it can't have been easy for him juggling so many players personalities and desires to be in the side. I think if he had been able to trim alot more of the squad in the summer so that he only had a small and tight squad, as opposed to the large and fractured (I'm guessing, I have no "source") squad we actually have.

In fairness, Slade got rid of something like 17 players in the summer, so I'm not sure thats an accusation that can be levelled at him. And those that remained are under contract - if no-ones interested in them, then what else can you do.

Agree with the sentiments on this thread. Slade has brought in some quality players who Gus will benefit from and enjoy working with. We've still got McNulty to come back as well yet, and he will make a MASSIVE difference to us at the back and going forward.

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
It seems to me that he was too nice a guy in the end & too many players took the piss this season. Looks like Gus & Mr T are a totally different proposition though, so here's to them building on their superb start innit.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Just didn't look the part, coming out in that dopey cap and tracksuit. The whole set up looked so non league. How can you respect that ?

Poyet in a suit looked the business yesterday. Looks proffessional. I'm sure it helps.

Rambo

Don't Push me
NSC Patron
Jul 8, 2003
Worthing/Vietnam
Just didn't look the part, coming out in that dopey cap and tracksuit. The whole set up looked so non league. How can you respect that ?

Poyet in a suit looked the business yesterday. Looks proffessional. I'm sure it helps.

This is exactly what I said to my non albion supporting mate when we were watching the game yesterday,

A manager should command respect, wearing the same clothes as the players puts you on the same level and give no sense of authority. Whilst Slade appears to be a really nice bloke, unfortunately nice blokes never make it anywhere in management, whatever the occupation.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
This is exactly what I said to my non albion supporting mate when we were watching the game yesterday,

A manager should command respect, wearing the same clothes as the players puts you on the same level and give no sense of authority.

Agreed. That was something that rankled with me a bit as well. Slade did look a bit ridiculous in that training gear and baseball cap.

Poyet looked class :love:

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
We are in a much better position compared to when Slade arrived. Much better players (and all young and for the future as well). He was very unlucky with injuries (McNulty played twice? and Murray must be less than 10 games for him) and some of the players really let him down. Just wasn't going to happen for him though was it

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
In fairness, Slade got rid of something like 17 players in the summer, so I'm not sure thats an accusation that can be levelled at him. And those that remained are under contract - if no-ones interested in them, then what else can you do.

Agree with the sentiments on this thread. Slade has brought in some quality players who Gus will benefit from and enjoy working with. We've still got McNulty to come back as well yet, and he will make a MASSIVE difference to us at the back and going forward.

I'm not having a go at him, I'm sure he tried everything he could to trim the likes of Hawkins, McLeod and Livermore. He clearly didn't want them, but couldn't get rid. I think he assembled an unbalanced squad, with too many centre backs and not enough (quality) cover for left and righ back positions. Again, I'm not having a go at Mr Slade, but I think it would have made his job alot easier if he could have assembled a smaller, but more together group of players. What's done is done.

I think we can all agree Slade signed some quality players in the summer and he did a magnificent job for us, caps off to him.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Agreed. That was something that rankled with me a bit as well. Slade did look a bit ridiculous in that training gear and baseball cap.

Poyet looked class :love:

think too much is made of this, all managers wear the training gear on the training ground where they spend most of their time with the players.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here