Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sovereign Harbour eastbourne

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
my mum is looking to move back to sussex and has seen some proprties advertised over there.

anyone think that area is ok

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
Very much an area on the up, although prices have shot up over there since the marina became more popular and developed. Great place to chill out for an afternoon with some nice bars, cafes and shops.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
:thumbsup:

Sep 24, 2003
Seven Dials
Dies Irae said:
my mum is looking to move back to sussex and has seen some proprties advertised over there.

It's okay provided the sea defences are properly maintained!

Much of the site is below sea level, so if the defences were to be breached it would be subject to the rapid inundation of flood waters!

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
Hmmmm. She needs to pick the right area in the harbour. Is she looking to buy or rent?

It's very much part of the New Eastbourne, which has developed over the last twenty years. Sovereign Harbour is probably more upmarket than other bits of New Eastbourne, but all these places are stuck out on the eastern edge of the town and have the feel of being very disconnected to rest of Eastbourne.

If your mum is looking for the Eastbourne that everyone knows about, she probably won't find it on her doorstep at Sovereign Harbour.

Wardy

NSC's Benefits Guru
Oct 9, 2003
In front of the PC
I know a few people who have worked on the building down there and they all the say the same and that is do not buy there. A lot of the building is on reclamed land and they feel that the ground will subside in the future.

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
Definitely do not buy. There is a glut of rental properties down there at the moment so you should be able to find something cheap. Eg £650pcm for a brand new two bedroom apartment with sea views.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
A very nice area of Eastbourne , very upmarket and property prices are a bit steep. Bear in mind that if you buy a property there you have to pay additional fees each year to the Harbour Board (upkeep and rights of access to the Marina) and a Sea Wall Defence Fund. That adds up to around an extra £350 on top of the council tax. We were moving from a 4 bed , double garage , detached house in Grimsby to a 3 bed end-link house at Sovereign Harbour South which was priced at £40k over the sale price we achieved on our house in Grimsby but it all fell through over rights of way, shared common access and a gentlemans agreement on the road being adopted (yes! no section 38 agreement in place or anything official in writing between the developer and Eastbourne Council). Having said that if we won the lottery we would probably buy a property there choosing Sovereign Harbour North.

lost in london

Dec 10, 2003
London
Whenever I have been to Sovereign Harbour it has seemed like I've stepped into a grey hell. Soulless, windy, exposed, and away from the rest of town. The occasional summer evening it's nice to sit by the marina with a beer, but apart from that, avoid.

The Thai restaurant down there is good though.

seagullsovergrimsby said:
(yes! no section 38 agreement in place or anything official in writing between the developer and Eastbourne Council).
There have been masses of financial contributions from the Sovereign Harbour developers. When I worked at ESCC (which is, of course, the highway authority), it was a problem to spend the money. But whether that has actually delivered a sensible outcome is another matter altogether.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
cheers guys

3gulls

Banned
Jul 26, 2004
Dies Irae said:

If you like to mix with raw sewage! Lots of problems, particularly with early phases. :nono:

3gulls

Banned
Jul 26, 2004
seagullsovergrimsby said:
We were moving from a 4 bed , double garage , detached house in Grimsby to a 3 bed end-link house at Sovereign Harbour South which was priced at £40k over the sale price we achieved on our house in Grimsby

£40K sounds a bargain to me! Grimsby has got to be the worst place i have ever been to. :nono:

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
They made the unforgiveable mistake of designing a major new residential zone without any play areas or public spaces of note, no squares or piazzas for open air art, markets, music and entertainment, just acre after acre of houses with a token waterfront with no greenery or softening touches. The place looks like Brookside on Sea.

There are no local shops (except Asda, Matalan etc), no community facilities, and no encouragement for pedestrians.

In a few years that part of EB is going to have some big social problems because of the greed of the developers and the dimwittedness of the council.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here