Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Southend United Vs Brighton & Hove Albion ***Official Match Thread***

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Hemed helped to create a goal 15 minutes after he was introduced, we had no chances all the time COG was on the pitch. Sometimes you have to create opportunities of your own.

There were lots of poor performances last night, and using JFC to partner COG up front is different from using Baldock. Likewise Calde wasn't in the game either. Maenpaa was our only stand out player. Between JFC, KLL, Calde and COG there was no cohesion in attack and we were poor everywhere else.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
There were lots of poor performances last night, and using JFC to partner COG up front is different from using Baldock. Likewise Calde wasn't in the game either. Maenpaa was our only stand out player. Between JFC, KLL, Calde and COG there was no cohesion in attack and we were poor everywhere else.

Did you think Mäenpaä was a standout then? I was having kittens every time a cross was slung into the box. One very decent save, but I was wishing for Stockdale after about twenty minutes of that game.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Did you think Mäenpaä was a standout then? I was having kittens every time a cross was slung into the box. One very decent save, but I was wishing for Stockdale after about twenty minutes of that game.

I was listening on the radio, but I do remember some shaky moments being mentioned now you have reminded me. He had a couple of good moments though.

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
I was listening on the radio, but I do remember some shaky moments being mentioned now you have reminded me. He had a couple of good moments though.

ha ha you were listening on the radio? Oooeerrr missus I can't talk I was watching the text on BBC latest scores.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

Yep. He dropped one cross in Coco the Clown style, was sent scrambling for a misdirected back header from one of the defenders, I forget which, and generally seemed a lot more reluctant to come for crosses than Disco Dave. That save was nice, mind, but if Southend had had more than about fifteen fans in the lower tier behind him in the second half, I imagine he'd have faced a bit of stick.

We, on the other hand, had the über-confident Dan Bentley for company, second half. He's a very assured young man for twenty two, and clearly is something of a younger Joe Hart, in his own mind at least. Fell over a couple of times while taking clearances, to the entertainment of the travelling contingent. Not sure he particularly warranted the chants of "Bentley is a bender" or "Bentley is a rent boy" he received as a result. Didn't see much of his ability owing to our lack of chances, but I imagine he's a very decent keeper.

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1

Haha see my post from last night.

Southend had maybe 20 crosses and corners. Catches from our keeper = 0, attempted catches = 1, and he flapped at it.

A good shot stopper though. Stockdale will be number 1 for the whole season.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here