Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

South Today Falmer Week

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
After 7 years South today have finally decided to give some decent coverage on the Falmer issue !.

The pro camp went forward yesterday with Albion legend Ian Hart presenting the case for.

Shots of The Goldstone Ground, ward he shot he scored, the retail park, the trip to " the compost heap " of the garden of England, Gillingham and then back to the Withdean.

The anti camp put their case tonight so expect a pack of lies and mistruths and desperation with south Today toeing the line and showing the site away from the dual carriageway and university whereby you could believe it almost was an area of ONB. Obligatory shots of Falmer pond with some old lady feeding the Ducks and the village shop, hell it could almost be the Lake District couldn't it ? :lolol:

Anyone BHAFC supporter suffering from High blood Pressure or Ulcers best avoid BBC 1 at 6.45 pm tonight.

Anyone else see Harty's piece and what dya reckon ?.

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
I'm still travelling on the train home from London at that time of night, so no chance of me seeing it, i'll need to get 'er indoors to record it. I am interested to hear the NIMBY case, because they've not had anything concrete in the past

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
Told my other half to expect to see an elderly chap with a pipe by the pond, saying how he used to fish and swim in it, before roads were even invented, and how it will be full of beer cans forever if the stadium is built.

He'll also say that the fish have already migrated in advance of bad news - just in case.

Wardy

NSC's Benefits Guru
Oct 9, 2003
In front of the PC
I do not think that anything said now, either for or against will make any impact on the decision.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Wanderer said:
I am interested to hear the NIMBY case, because they've not had anything concrete in the past
Well lets hope they get something concrete in the future

:thumbsup:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Uncle Spielberg said:

Anyone else see Harty's piece and what dya reckon ?.

I thought it was a great piece as to why Albion needed a new stadium but it told us nothing as to why it should be Falmer.

There will be plenty of people who are anti-Falmer who'd have supported what Harty had to say.

I bet that tonight's piece will put the case against Falmer, not against Brighton having a new stadium.

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
Wardywonderland said:
I do not think that anything said now, either for or against will make any impact on the decision.

I'd agree, but according to Lord B, they still haven't made their recommendation to Prescott

Basil Fawlty

Don't Mention The War
I watched South East Today, and they are covering it aswell. And they did the Nimby point of view and they where talking to the Farmer who owns the land and he said one of the stands will block the sky on top of that hill. What aload of bollocks.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
brightonfan_86 said:
I watched South East Today, and they are covering it aswell. And they did the Nimby point of view and they where talking to the Farmer who owns the land and he said one of the stands will block the sky on top of that hill. What aload of bollocks.

I love it when the NIMBY's come out with comments like that, as it just creates the impression that they are all that stupid.

"Oooh, argh, 'tis true, that be. That there roof will block out awwl natural light. It'll be dark from here to t'other side of the valley, over thaar."

Yeah right fella, and the martians are about to land.

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
Just a bounce to remind people, South Today/Sodding Kent is on now, dunno when Falmer bit is though

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Just watched it, a very short piece containing the views of a farmer who for the past 22 years has farmed the land that the stadium would be built. It is easy to understand his views as clearly his livelehood would be affected. He did point out that it is council owned land that he is farming, surely he does so on the understanding that his tenency can be revoked at any time if the council wish to change the use of the land, as they would be doing if a community stadium were built there.

Caveman

Jul 14, 2003
Just watched it, "1" guy will lose his job as a Farmer. There will be plenty more jobs made. I feel for the guy but that land is surely not the only source of income for the bloke, he’s got a shop for starters (more than I’ve got). I liked the way he was saying “the stadium will ruin the area” and all you could hear in the background was cars and you could see the Uni.

Oh yes and the pond was there again!

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Well, that was a bit crap wunnit ?

How about dispelling some of the myths about the Falmer site and its supposed tranquil splendour by (for once) TURNING THE BLOODY CAMERA TO THE NORTH AND WEST instead of the obligatory exclusive "countryside" shots. Show the dual carriageway, the uni's, the railway. Show and explain WHY its been picked as the best site.

How about detailing precisely WHY Withdean is totally inadequate. Don't just moan that its ramshackle, shabby and embarrassing. Have some facts & figures handy over the losses we've made and the losses we are still making since being there. Highlight how difficult it is to attract players as a result of the surroundings. Go into how fragmented the club is, with offices here there and everywhere.

Look, I know it was only a 3 or 4 minute segment, but this really didn't do anything to push the case for why we so DESPERATELY need this stadium. If we're going to have Albion fans on the news talking about this, I really wish we could have someone totally clued up who'd done a bit of preperation, rather than just swigging pints in the pub and standing around at the turnstiles.

Rubbish.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Caveman said:
Just watched it, "1" guy will lose his job as a Farmer. There will be plenty more jobs made. I feel for the guy but that land is surely not the only source of income for the bloke, he’s got a shop for starters (more than I’ve got). I liked the way he was saying “the stadium will ruin the area” and all you could hear in the background was cars and you could see the Uni.

Oh yes and the pond was there again!

He also said something about missing out on passing trade from the fans, due to stewards blocking the village off. Cant the club offer to use his potatoes for our chips?

I am sick of that pond. Not as if we are filling it with concrete!

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
FARMER ??

Well, I must be getting a completely different "South Today" in my region (Southwick) then. All I got was an Albion fan with a tea cosy on his head, drinking in a pub and saying how much he loves the club etc etc.

Maybe you others will have his "report" tomorrow then.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
The Large One said:
Don't worry about it Easy. It's not as though Prezza give a toss about what the Beeb has to say anyway.
Yeah, s'pose. I know it makes no difference now.
Its just irritating when we're given a rare platform on the evening news, and completely waste it with wishy-washy drivel.

Drumstick

NORTHSTANDER
Jul 19, 2003
Peacehaven
Upstairs we have south today and downstairs we have south east today. I get to see both :lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here