Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sorry we can't serve more than 5

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
What the hell is that all about?

6 of us went out last night.
We grabbed a table outside of the Wagon and Horses, while me and a mate went to get the beers, only to be told:-

'we can't serve parties over 5'.

I guess there's something in it, but to show no discretion at all was amazing.
We are all 41 and were discussing our pensions! Plus is was only about 6pm.

The same happened after the Komedia in an empty pub on the corner.

We went back to The W&H, walked in, in two groups of 3 and all stood together at the bar, with our drinks.

Goring Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Huddersfield
Brighton seems to be one of the hardest places for groups of blokes to get in/get drinks anywhere in the country

Bazzza67

Feb 6, 2011
Brighton, UK
Same thing happened to me at The Waggon & Horses a few months ago....12:30am on a Saturday morning, 6 of us, all mid-40's were refused entry by a 25 year old doorman. There were about a dozen people inside...I was most annoyed as i used to run the football team for the pub in the late 90's...

We didn't even bother to argue, so went round to the Fountain Head and received the same response with the girl on the door... but using a bit of reason (and dare say a bit of charm!), we were let in..

Agree with a couple of previous comments, can pubs really be wanting to turn down business these days!!

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
Why did I look at the title and think this would be about what the staff have been saying in the kiosks about half time serving?

Aug 4, 2011
That is stupid. I know your not meant to serve a single person 5 drinks at any one time. However the 'no groups more than 5' is stupid and they lose a lot of money if this is true..

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Should've tried The Bulldog mate, don't think 5 blokes would have trouble getting served there!

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
In a society that tries not to discriminate against race, disability and sexuality it seems bizarre that you are allowed to discriminate against gender. Lots of pubs in Brighton will not let in male groups over 6. Is this not prejudice? Assuming you will be trouble because you are all blokes?

What the hell is that all about?

6 of us went out last night.
We grabbed a table outside of the Wagon and Horses, while me and a mate went to get the beers, only to be told:-

'we can't serve parties over 5'.

I guess there's something in it, but to show no discretion at all was amazing.
We are all 41 and were discussing our pensions! Plus is was only about 6pm.

The same happened after the Komedia in an empty pub on the corner.

We went back to The W&H, walked in, in two groups of 3 and all stood together at the bar, with our drinks.
what was the queue for the pies like?

tgretton87

Shoreham Beach Seagull#2
Jul 30, 2011
In a society that tries not to discriminate against race, disability and sexuality it seems bizarre that you are allowed to discriminate against gender. Lots of pubs in Brighton will not let in male groups over 6. Is this not prejudice? Assuming you will be trouble because you are all blokes?

I dont agree at all but my mate is a bouncer on a door and they get trained and then train the bar staff not to let to many men in groups in because if it does kick off (which it very rarely does) the door staff wont be able to control the situation.

Crap rule but sadly the culture we now live in.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I dont agree at all but my mate is a bouncer on a door and they get trained and then train the bar staff not to let to many men in groups in because if it does kick off (which it very rarely does) the door staff wont be able to control the situation.

I'm not buying that.
You wouldn't need a degree in people watching, to work out if it kicked off us 6 would be out the door, quicker than Rik Waller leaving a pie shop.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

its not a "rule", its just the pubs policy. it might mean somthing at a club in the evening but pathetic for a pub early evening. a few pubs round there are right up there arses, why even have door staff? go deeper into the Laine and find a better pub.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Had a similar thing happen to us at the Bath Arms. There were six of us, all blokes, all tooled up and looking for a fight and yelling racist abuse and making disgustingly lewd comments at every female we saw. Well, I'll admit there were six of us but the rest of it was just the paranoid fears of the doorman who said he couldn't let us in as they didn't allow groups of blokes in if there were more than five.

I personally think it's because we're old (mid fifties) and the sight of a load of old codgers in a pub would obviously put off all the youngsters. The pub was empty btw.

tgretton87

Shoreham Beach Seagull#2
Jul 30, 2011
I'm not buying that.
You wouldn't need a degree in people watching, to work out if it kicked off us 6 would be out the door, quicker than Rik Waller leaving a pie shop.

I 100% agree with you. Only passing on info from a mate. I only know this because I was pissed off once I didnt get into the font in the Laines as didnt have any ID and asked him why, he went into a whole load of crappy policies they have about letting people through the doors. I can only assume that 6 of you start drinking at 6 by the time you get to 10-11 you could be on your way to getting drunk.

Like I said before Culture we live in.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here