Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Some Math...

Wilts

Jul 5, 2003
Bournemouth/Reading
£2m quid. Would be a good deal for Brighton.

What can you do with it?

Well, wages of £4k a week (probably about right for top-end Div 2 players)... = £156k per year salary. 3 year contracts = about £450k. That's if you get players on free transfers. But then transfer fees are only about £50k these days for decent players (Sidwell for £75k with bonuses upon Prem), and that Hunt fella you were after was only about £100k max, so surely this sale isn't going to harm Brighton that much?!?

Granted, he's a superb player, but building a team (IMO) around him is not a long-term plan. Plenty of the other players have proved themselves good enough for Division 2, with a few capable of Division 1.

And remember that other good players (some of other Div 2 teams "trophy" players) are leaving too. Scott Murray came to us, Luke Beckett will leave, other Bristol City players are fed up. QPR players rejecting new contracts (Langley and Carlisle). f*** it... its not that bad.

Just gotta make sure that Zamora, Blackwell, and Brooker are replaced for the season. And with £2m (maybe even more!) you can't go wrong in Division Two. f*** me, we're putting a budget of about £2m to get us about 4 players to try to get into the Premiership this year, so its hardly all doom and gloom.

The only real aspect is the sentimentality of losing a quality player... and the worry of putting the money back into the team. If you get over the first one, and the second one happens, you're laughing all the way back to Div 1... and will probably have a better infrastructure (IMO again) if you get there than last season, where an injury to Zamora meant that the team was relatively fecked.

And have some drinks... on Saturday :drink: :drink:

Jul 5, 2003
Bristol
spot on

as ive said in an early thread, even 500 k would be enough to get in the required quality to dick this league

fatboy

Jul 5, 2003
Falmer
£2m bollocks.

It will be more than that and we need to pay B Rovers.

Roberts will be a waste of money. He will be on first team wages and is too good for our reserves. Kuipers is 1st choice.

Hunt yes. Beckett probably too. I hear he likes two contracts.

Wilts

Jul 5, 2003
Bournemouth/Reading
Do you reckon it'll be a £1.5m fee (the original one that was rejected wasn't it?) or even £2.5m ish but with additional fees every 10 games or so?

That'll also avoid Rovers getting a bigger slice of the pie... we did that with Murray as Villa took a cut.

fatboy

Jul 5, 2003
Falmer
Kuipers is good enough.

We dont need a better keeper. We have limited resources and need to allocate them to other parts of the team.

We need strikers.

We can play more than one striker at once.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
fatboy said:
£2m bollocks.

It will be more than that and we need to pay B Rovers.

Don't know Andy, you could be right. I think it may go up above that sum after so many appearances. Not sure what the initial outlay will be----------

BUT

Let's look on the Bright side ( I know it's not easy at the moment)

Bobby was always going to go. He's too good for the second division. He deserves his chance with big boys!

Steve Coppell would not have signed his contract this year, if Dick had not promised him the all the proceeds of Bobby's sale! The man has a lot of experience in management. He knows a lot of people. Just watch the master dabble in the market. He will strenghten the team in a few places.

Bring it on!!

Windmill

Jul 6, 2003
Tadley, Nr Reading
Bradford have got 7 strikers to choose from.

A player/+ deal would be nice.

I'd like to see us sign Rougier, Lowe from Rushden, Ben Roberts, and a quality midfielder.

Good luck Bobby.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
tadley gull said:
Bradford have got 7 strikers to choose from.

A player/+ deal would be nice.

I'd like to see us sign Rougier, Lowe from Rushden, Ben Roberts, and a quality midfielder.

Good luck Bobby.

Not sure about Rougier. I know he scored a couple for us last season but I think he'd miss more than he'd score!

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
....and isn't it ...and now he's -A- Yid??

who's that West Brom striker that's on a free at the moment?? class act and scores a few in the lower leagues.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Wilts said:
£2m quid. Would be a good deal for Brighton.

What can you do with it?

Well, wages of £4k a week (probably about right for top-end Div 2 players)... = £156k per year salary. 3 year contracts = about £450k. That's if you get players on free transfers. But then transfer fees are only about £50k these days for decent players (Sidwell for £75k with bonuses upon Prem), and that Hunt fella you were after was only about £100k max, so surely this sale isn't going to harm Brighton that much?!?

Granted, he's a superb player, but building a team (IMO) around him is not a long-term plan. Plenty of the other players have proved themselves good enough for Division 2, with a few capable of Division 1.

And remember that other good players (some of other Div 2 teams "trophy" players) are leaving too. Scott Murray came to us, Luke Beckett will leave, other Bristol City players are fed up. QPR players rejecting new contracts (Langley and Carlisle). f*** it... its not that bad.

Just gotta make sure that Zamora, Blackwell, and Brooker are replaced for the season. And with £2m (maybe even more!) you can't go wrong in Division Two. f*** me, we're putting a budget of about £2m to get us about 4 players to try to get into the Premiership this year, so its hardly all doom and gloom.

The only real aspect is the sentimentality of losing a quality player... and the worry of putting the money back into the team. If you get over the first one, and the second one happens, you're laughing all the way back to Div 1... and will probably have a better infrastructure (IMO again) if you get there than last season, where an injury to Zamora meant that the team was relatively fecked.

And have some drinks... on Saturday :drink: :drink:

It's strange but most of the sensible posts on this site come from opposition fans. By your calculations I would imagine we have enough money for 3 top players (as in good up and comers).

DTES

Jul 7, 2003
London
I'm with Fatboy on the Roberts front. We don't need him. He would be a waste of money. And I thought he'd already gone elsewhere?

Need Hunt, a centre back & 2 strikers.

Wilts

Jul 5, 2003
Bournemouth/Reading
Re: Re: Some Math...

dwayne said:
It's strange but most of the sensible posts on this site come from opposition fans. By your calculations I would imagine we have enough money for 3 top players (as in good up and comers).

Cheers for the compliments, :clap: Tthe opposition fans don't feel the type of anguish in losing Zamora though. I imagine if we lost someone like Forster I'd be devastated...

There's a factor beyond maths that does it... you get attached to players etc... you should've seen the moral guidance and counselling that was going on on the Reading site last week when Cureton went to South Korea. And compared to the Zamora effect, Curo's not as important as a player, and yet the sentimentality lasts for a while (scoring the goal that sent us up...)

Can any Brighton fans (in return) tell us how to get to the Premiership? ;)

Wilts

Jul 5, 2003
Bournemouth/Reading
Hmm... tried that 3 times now to no success. Have to win outright or nowt else!

I think my heart rate has increased tenfold because of the bloody playoffs in recent years! :(

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here