Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Socrates joins Garforth Town!

Scarface

Apr 16, 2004
Burgess Hill
_40459479_socrates203.jpg

Socrates joins Garforth Town

In one of the most unlikely moves in recent times Brazilian legend Socrates has agreed a deal with Yorkshire non-League team Garforth Town.
The majestic midfielder retired 14 years ago but the lure of a spell in the Northern Counties East League has proved too much for the 50-year-old.

Socrates skippered Brazil at two World Cups and was unquestionably one of the greatest players of his generation.

Garforth already have one former international on their books in the form of Lee Sharpe.

But Socrates, who still has his famous long hair and beard, will undoubtedly be the most high-profile player to pull on the Garforth shirt after signing a one-month deal with the club.

He is expected to make his debut against Tadcaster Albion in front of a capacity 3,000 home crowd at Garforth - a far cry from playing in front of 200,000 at the Maracana in Rio de Janeiro.

Socrates - not surprisingly - has a reputation as a deep thinker with strong views not only on football but society in general.

Quite what he will make of Garforth - a former pit village in the heartland of West Yorkshire - remains to be seen.

A doctor by profession, his new team-mates will include a gardener and an electrician.

He has been brought to the club by Garforth owner and manager Simon Clifford - who has built up a string of contacts in Brazil through his Socatots coaching schools.

Clifford, 33, said: "It is a fantastic coup. Our fans will be pinching themselves when they see Socrates running out."

Last edited:

Superseagull

Jul 8, 2003
MYOB said:
That was a different era though. Players were never as physically fit as they have to be now.

I think I heard he smokes 20 a day as well and has done since he was a kid!

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
I have such vivid memories of him from the 82 world cup, when Brazil were still the kings of Samba Futbol.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I took a Sunday League side over to France some years ago and the centre backs for Coquelles were 59, 60 and 62 respectively.
All had in their younger days been Footballer of the year playing for PSG, St Ettienne and Marseille but there were still outstanding and didnt need to run, their positional play and organisational ability was out of this world. Your legs get slower but you never lose the know how. The side that they played for was about Sussex County Div 1.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Can Darren get Uncle Tony to turn out for us?

I have a friend living in Garforth but she is a Rugby League fan.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here