Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Socrates comeback this weekend

Lush

Mods' Pet
"Brazilian soccer legend Socrates jets into Britain today - just 24 hours before he makes his eagerly anticipated debut for an ambitious non-league team.

The 50-year-old stunned the footballing world last month when he announced he had been tempted out of retirement by Northern Counties East League side Garforth Town.

A crowd of nearly 3,000 fans are expected to pack the West Yorkshire club's Wheatley Park ground to watch the stylish playmaker make his first appearance on Saturday.

But the Samba superstar, who captained his country during the 1982 and 1986 World Cups, will have to start the top-of-the-table clash against Tadcaster Albion as a substitute.

Simon Clifford, the club's coach and owner, said: "I've spoken to Socrates and told him he'll start on the bench. He's really looking forward to playing in England and making some new friends.

"I'm not sure how long he'll play for, we'll have to see what shape he's in.

"But if we get a penalty, I want him to take it for us."

Socrates, who retired from the game 14 years ago, is due to arrive in London today from sunny Sao Paulo and will then take a flight to Manchester, before heading to Yorkshire.

Mr Clifford, who runs a string of soccer schools, clinched the one-month deal for the midfield maestro through his close contacts in the Brazilian game.

The surprise swoop made the East Leeds club the unlikely focus of the international media, as news of the shock signing hit headlines around the world.

The club, who normally play in front of just 100 people, have sold replicas of their Brazilian-style home shirts for the first time and fielded calls from Japan, Germany and the USA.

Mr Clifford, who is hoping Brazilian strikers Careca and Zico will turn out for the club next season, has set a 20-year target for getting the club into the Premiership.

Next week, former England rugby coach Sir Clive Woodward is due to spend two days observing the Brazilian-style training methods at the club. "

Artois

is 100% of your RDA
Jul 5, 2003
Hooters
socrates.jpg

What a coup that is. :clap2:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here