Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

So, why shouldn't Iran have a nuclear programme ?

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Genuine question, not just courting controversy for the sake of it.

If the U.S.A is allowed one, who are they to dictate who else should or shouldn't be allowed to develop a nuclear programme also ?

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I'm sure someone will give a reason, but that is something President Obama seems to acknowledge. He recently said the us and her allies can't keep stockpiling nuclear weapons then insist iran and north korea not pursue them.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
İbrahim Tatlıses;3022566 said:
The same reason you wouldn't let a child play with a loaded gun?

Oh the Irony !

Child, play, loaded gun, ..........USA ? :rolleyes:

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
İbrahim Tatlıses;3022566 said:
The same reason you wouldn't let a child play with a loaded gun?

It's not though, is it?

The reason you wouldn't let a kid have a loaded gun is the reason we don't want anyone to have nuclear weapons, including us and america, because such dangerous powerful weapons are scary and cause untold damage.

The questions is why the nuclear weapon having countries have a right to dictate who else can have hem.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
You can see why Iran and North Korea are inclined to throw their weight around. America are telling them what to do, but have an arsenal to die for, literally. I don't like being told what to do by a country who dominate the top spot, perhaps the underdog syndrome coming into play. It will be interesting to see what happens in a couple of decades when China dwarfs America in terms of riches and economy.

Another world war is not far off. There are plenty of nutters about who are willing to slay/sacrifice civilians to stay in power and add to their own kudos.

bigc

Jul 5, 2003
Another world war is not far off. There are plenty of nutters about who are willing to slay/sacrifice civilians to stay in power and add to their own kudos.

I don't see a world war as such, I see civil wars or conflicts like Russia v Georgia, disputed territories, landgrabs and the spectre of failed states.

No more old skool Kaisers, Tsars, or Churchills.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
I don't see a world war as such, I see civil wars or conflicts like Russia v Georgia, disputed territories, landgrabs and the spectre of failed states.

No more old skool Kaisers, Tsars, or Churchills.

lets see

wars through the years:

little ones

some bigger ones

massive one millions of people killed

another even f***ing bigger one with a couple of nukes chucked about

next one - hmm should be ok people wouldnt be that silly again would they, just a few chechens kicking off probably.

O Lads

Dec 16, 2004
It's not though, is it?

The reason you wouldn't let a kid have a loaded gun is the reason we don't want anyone to have nuclear weapons, including us and america, because such dangerous powerful weapons are scary and cause untold damage.

The questions is why the nuclear weapon having countries have a right to dictate who else can have hem.

In that vain, why on Earth would you want more countries to be allowed a nucleur programme!? The less the better IMO and for the countries that currently have them it's a massive advantage which gives them an even bigger say in what goes on.

There's no way the USA would actually use their weapons but I'd be worried if North Korea had them...

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
it might be a little do to with their stated intention to eradicate the Israeli state and that they have in the past actually funded and armed groups to that end. thats kinda makes people in the US twitchie about it, while turning a blind eye to Pakistan/India who seem to know the unwritten rules and dont wave it about.

bigc

Jul 5, 2003
lets see

wars through the years:

little ones

some bigger ones

massive one millions of people killed

another even f***ing bigger one with a couple of nukes chucked about

next one - hmm should be ok people wouldnt be that silly again would they, just a few chechens kicking off probably.

Well I meant more including Yugoslavia and all that. Will still be big but not in the pre 1945 way, otherwise surely we'd have had a world war since 1945.

There will be conflicts across the world but I don't see one like WW2 occuring.

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
It's a valid point. What makes the west so much more 'right' and able to dictate what the rest of the world should and should not be able to do?

I'm not sure exactly what my opinion is, but I guess in reply you can say that as we have nukes and they (probably) don't, we can dictate through simple force and the fact that we can choose to send them back to the stone age if we choose. Also I think there is a world peace issue - all the nations who have nukes pay at least lip service to the ideas of democracy (as opposed to autocracy) whereas Iran and N.Korea both have one ultimate nutter who is in charge.

I also agree with what seems to be Obama's stance that generally nuclear weapons are bad and that it's important to reduce stockpiles whilst retaining a balance so the aptly-named MAD (mutually assured destruction) doctrine remains viable all the way through disarmament to prevent any one state trying to nuke the crap out of another.

bigc

Jul 5, 2003
it might be a little do to with their stated intention to eradicate the Israeli state and that they have in the past actually funded and armed groups to that end. thats kinda makes people in the US twitchie about it, while turning a blind eye to Pakistan/India who seem to know the unwritten rules and dont wave it about.

I wouldn't say they've turned a blind eye to those two, more it wasn't really in their power to control/they dropped the ball. Pakistan has been a powderkeg waiting to go off for years as well.

folkestonesgull

Oct 8, 2006
folkestone
We could make a start by scrapping the £19 billion (or whatever it is) renewal of the out of date, cold war style trident system that even the army consider pointless for modern warfare and buy our soldiers some decent body armour...

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
We could make a start by scrapping the £19 billion (or whatever it is) renewal of the out of date, cold war style trident system that even the army consider pointless for modern warfare and buy our soldiers some decent body armour...

You sir, have just...

Won a million pounds! Dun dun dun du dun dun du duuuuuuuunnnn *weird Who wants to be a millionaire music shit* :):clap::clap:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here