Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

So why, EXACTLY, should Dick Knight go?

Without stating the obvious like saving the club from B&A and delivering on his promise of delivering Falmer, what has he ACTUALLY done to deserve some of the utter SHITE that has been served up on on this (and other) forums?

With the exception of Martin Hinshelwood (human beings make mistakes, it happens), he has consistently brought in big names to manage the team. No, they've not always worked, but how can you lay the blame at Knight's door? I don't remember many dissenting voices when McGhee or Adams were (re)appointed. When things have gone wrong, he's always acted decisively to bring in a replacement. He may have gone out on a limb with Gannon, but that's not to say we won't have a quality manager in by the end of the week.

f*** Dean Wilkins. He got lucky by finishing seventh in what was a piss poor division and by all accounts had no man-management skills whatsoever - ignore the speculation about ego clashes with Knight, players themselves came out and said how difficult he was to work with.

I am by no means a Dick-sucker, but some of the anti-Knight stuff I hear/read, for things that a man cannot possibly have any control over, is utter RIDICULOUS.

You're all a bunch of TWATS.

Elegia

Jan 4, 2007
Without stating the obvious like saving the club from B&A and delivering on his promise of delivering Falmer, what has he ACTUALLY done to deserve some of the utter SHITE that has been served up on on this (and other) forums?

With the exception of Martin Hinshelwood (human beings make mistakes, it happens), he has consistently brought in big names to manage the team. No, they've not always worked, but how can you lay the blame at Knight's door? I don't remember many dissenting voices when McGhee or Adams were (re)appointed. When things have gone wrong, he's always acted decisively to bring in a replacement. He may have gone out on a limb with Gannon, but that's not to say we won't have a quality manager in by the end of the week.

f*** Dean Wilkins. He got lucky by finishing seventh in what was a piss poor division and by all accounts had no man-management skills whatsoever - ignore the speculation about ego clashes with Knight, players themselves came out and said how difficult he was to work with.

I am by no means a Dick-sucker, but some of the anti-Knight stuff I hear/read, for things that a man cannot possibly have any control over, is utter RIDICULOUS.

Spot on:bowdown:

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
Because it's easier to get rid of one chairman than twenty-some players.
Because it's "Don't just stand there, do something!" time.
Because he's not a dodgy Russian petro-spiv, or a Gulf emir.
Because he won't listen to the Blooms.
Because he does listen to the Blooms.
Because he doesn't listen to me!

Juan Albion

Chicken Sniffer 3rd Class
He has to go because the immature members of NSC need a scapegoat every time we lose. While we have a manager, it's usually him. When we don't, somebody has to take his place, and it's usually Dick Knight.

Immature members of NSC OUT!

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Would have to say,i doubt without D/Ks intervention in getting control of the club,there would be no BHAFC.

lethaldrizzle

Apr 30, 2007
South East London
Because it's easier to get rid of one chairman than twenty-some players.
Because it's "Don't just stand there, do something!" time.
Because he's not a dodgy Russian petro-spiv, or a Gulf emir.
Because he won't listen to the Blooms.
Because he does listen to the Blooms.
Because he doesn't listen to me!

'Petro-spiv' - genius. Spot on in sentiment too. Who do the clowns that clamour for his departure think will step in to replace him?

London Pompous

Feb 16, 2008
'Petro-spiv' - genius. Spot on in sentiment too. Who do the clowns that clamour for his departure think will step in to replace him?

There's as much chance of 'investors' putting millions into the Albion as there is of Cheryl Cole giving me a golden shower, and I've asked her often enough that I now have a restraining order and am banned from all Girls Aloud concerts and PR activities.

philgull25

Jul 29, 2005
Polegate
I dont think Dick should go, But if we go down he should think about it. Bacause he has to take the blame as head of the board of the decisions madeover the past couple of years .

Hopefully a new guy will come in and prove all the doubters wrong but if not it proves this season has been a mess. And i think after Adams the buck stops with him.

I dont think he can take us further than this division without a stadium i dont think (beacause of ALL THE MONEY CLUBS LIKE HUDDERSFIELD leeds leicester etc are spending)

jkw

Oct 19, 2008
One minute it's DK's fault next he's not making decisions next it's the Blooms making all the decisions, this is some what indecisive and inconclusive and doesn't seem to know what to do next. NSC for manager I say. On a serious note it is not DK's fault it is down to the whole team and that is Chairman to players, and who's real fault is it we haven't got a manager, now think hard about this one

Rougvie

Rising Damp
Aug 29, 2003
Hove, f***ing ACTUALLY.
What a lot of people on here dont realise is that DK stewardship of the club is that of a man with a great deal of integrity and honesty. The club isnt run via shell companies in Bermuda like others on the road to oblivion, nor has it ever to pandered to those (and there have been several) who have come along with unrealistic promises that have taken in good people at other clubs, only to see their efforts wrecked by ego and greed.

I've said little this season, because most of it I have been abroad, I feel lucky in having the priveledge of chatting in depth to DK on several occasions at sponsored matches and functions down the years, and NO ONE involved in this club are doing it out of any sense of personal gain, ego or for the good of their health. The situation between DK and the Blooms is complex, but I am reliably led to believe that it works and will not change for the forseeable future.

Yes, its time we did move on, but ifs DK that has given us the ability to be able to do just that, the man's only real failing is the loyalty that is just slightly out of fashion in our 24hr on demand society. White and Booker and other dead wood around the club should have been consigned to history a long time ago, but that's a short term failure which can be resolved quickly. The over reaction about DK on NSC was not a vibe I picked up in the hospitality suite after the game yesterday, sure people were disapointed, but I bet a straw poll of long term season ticket holders would show a resounding majority in favour of DK.

Just because you shout the loudest on a fans forum, doesnt mean you represent the majority of fans.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007

Agreed

Some of the anti Knight stuff is unbelievable.

Apparently Yesterday, he was responsible for the linesman giving the penalty, well according to the moron near the back of F block anyway.

Its ridiculous the amount of stick the people working for this club gets from those so called supporters who demand the impossible, just because they have supported the club for 44 years, or because they are "passionate" about the club, or they have brought a ticket to the game, (which apparently now makes them owners in their minds at least?)

I think that part of the problem is people have watched far too much football, with the premiership on several days a week, that watching the game live, and especially as its a lower level of football at the Albion, it has become a bit stale to them, also all the protesting that the fans have done over the last 15 years or so has become the norm, and fans have become used to fighting for a cause, trying to find fault and change it, they have forgotten what its like to just get behind and support your team.

They moan that you can't create and atmosphere at Withdean, not until the players produce something worthy of support, but that was never the case at away matches, or even at the Goldstone, its like there are a group of fans at the ground who have given up, and just go for the sake of it, not to enjoy it anymore, hence the moaning

We are currently in a difficult phase for this club, the board are trying their best in the balancing act between financing the new ground, and still trying to keep the football competitive, and all this while making a loss every season.

With no real assets at the club, and it losing millions every season, If the current board were to go as some seem to be demanding now, can you seriously believe that anyone would ever come in and take over?

Be greatful that this club has people who are passionate about this club, and are willing to put their own money in, knowing full well that they will probably never see it again, If in doubt, read Chapmans piece in the matchday programme

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
Agreed

Some of the anti Knight stuff is unbelievable.

Apparently Yesterday, he was responsible for the linesman giving the penalty, well according to the moron near the back of F block anyway.

Its ridiculous the amount of stick the people working for this club gets from those so called supporters who demand the impossible, just because they have supported the club for 44 years, or because they are "passionate" about the club, or they have brought a ticket to the game, (which apparently now makes them owners in their minds at least?)

I think that part of the problem is people have watched far too much football, with the premiership on several days a week, that watching the game live, and especially as its a lower level of football at the Albion, it has become a bit stale to them, also all the protesting that the fans have done over the last 15 years or so has become the norm, and fans have become used to fighting for a cause, trying to find fault and change it, they have forgotten what its like to just get behind and support your team.

They moan that you can't create and atmosphere at Withdean, not until the players produce something worthy of support, but that was never the case at away matches, or even at the Goldstone, its like there are a group of fans at the ground who have given up, and just go for the sake of it, not to enjoy it anymore, hence the moaning

We are currently in a difficult phase for this club, the board are trying their best in the balancing act between financing the new ground, and still trying to keep the football competitive, and all this while making a loss every season.

With no real assets at the club, and it losing millions every season, If the current board were to go as some seem to be demanding now, can you seriously believe that anyone would ever come in and take over?

Be greatful that this club has people who are passionate about this club, and are willing to put their own money in, knowing full well that they will probably never see it again, If in doubt, read Chapmans piece in the matchday programme

Spot on for me:clap:

Don Quixote

Nov 4, 2008
The undying loyalty given to big Dick is unbelievable... The blooms have got you lot wrapped around their little finger. Then BANG all our money will be gone.

twickers

Jul 17, 2003

Have you no clue? See the following thread for THE most compelling reason ever...

The answer is simple. Everything must go! - North Stand Chat

Captain Haddock

Aug 2, 2005
The Deep Blue Sea
What a lot of people on here dont realise is that DK stewardship of the club is that of a man with a great deal of integrity and honesty. The club isnt run via shell companies in Bermuda like others on the road to oblivion, nor has it ever to pandered to those (and there have been several) who have come along with unrealistic promises that have taken in good people at other clubs, only to see their efforts wrecked by ego and greed.

I've said little this season, because most of it I have been abroad, I feel lucky in having the priveledge of chatting in depth to DK on several occasions at sponsored matches and functions down the years, and NO ONE involved in this club are doing it out of any sense of personal gain, ego or for the good of their health. The situation between DK and the Blooms is complex, but I am reliably led to believe that it works and will not change for the forseeable future.

Yes, its time we did move on, but ifs DK that has given us the ability to be able to do just that, the man's only real failing is the loyalty that is just slightly out of fashion in our 24hr on demand society. White and Booker and other dead wood around the club should have been consigned to history a long time ago, but that's a short term failure which can be resolved quickly. The over reaction about DK on NSC was not a vibe I picked up in the hospitality suite after the game yesterday, sure people were disapointed, but I bet a straw poll of long term season ticket holders would show a resounding majority in favour of DK.

Just because you shout the loudest on a fans forum, doesnt mean you represent the majority of fans.

:clap: Good post and some interesting insight. Cheers, fella.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
It's all about balance. Does Dick Knight deserve some of the shite he gets on here? No, of course he doesn't. But he's made some mistakes, and deserves some criticism.

His record in appointing managers is mixed. He's had some big hits, and some rank misses. I'd probably agree Wilkins was a bit lucky last season, but he deserved another season to see if it was a fluke. Seventh earns you that.

Is getting a new ground a huge success and a massive feather in his cap? Of course it is, but it will have taken 12/13 years. That is too long, and we can all see the damage that has done to crowds, and general morale. It makes the rebuilding job of the fan base an even bigger task.

Does he have integrity and honesty? Yes - in most things. His pursuit of Falmer is genuine, and totally in the best interests of the club. But even Knight isn't averse to the odd bit of news/PR management when it suits.

And let's be honest, he's getting on a bit. This is a troubled club with a lot of problems and challenges. It needs a dynamic man at the helm. Dick Knight was that man, now he may no longer be that man. Off you go, life president, enjoy retirement, thanks for everything.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Is getting a new ground a huge success and a massive feather in his cap? Of course it is, but it will have taken 12/13 years. That is too long, and we can all see the damage that has done to crowds, and general morale. It makes the rebuilding job of the fan base an even bigger task.

But your assuming the delays are Knights fault. Maybe the club didn't have the money to be able to fast track the original proposal.

And what about the opposition to the ground, the lenghty public enquiries, the mistake by Prescott. - All things that Knight can't be held responsible for

With no truely suitable site available to the club to build the ground on, it was always going to be a hard and lenghty task to gain permission for building at Falmer, something that all those involved in getting permission should be proud of and are worthy of praise. Not abuse from 'fans' due to delays that were out of their control, surely the fact they gained permission shows just how good a case for they put together.

Because it has taken so long is not a reason for Knight to go.

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
It's all about balance. Does Dick Knight deserve some of the shite he gets on here? No, of course he doesn't. But he's made some mistakes, and deserves some criticism.

His record in appointing managers is mixed. He's had some big hits, and some rank misses. I'd probably agree Wilkins was a bit lucky last season, but he deserved another season to see if it was a fluke. Seventh earns you that.

Does he have integrity and honesty? Yes - in most things. His pursuit of Falmer is genuine, and totally in the best interests of the club. But even Knight isn't averse to the odd bit of news/PR management when it suits.

And let's be honest, he's getting on a bit. This is a troubled club with a lot of problems and challenges. It needs a dynamic man at the helm. Dick Knight was that man, now he may no longer be that man. Off you go, life president, enjoy retirement, thanks for everything.

At last, a sensible post

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here