Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

So When will we be hearing about contracts?

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
Interesting, as normally this doesn't seem to be done until after the end of the season. I suspect that we will hear a few things through the rumour mill before anything is officially confirmed.

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton
I think it shows Gus wants his squad sorted sooner rather than later, thank god.

Forster's Armband

Sep 23, 2008
London
I think it shows Gus wants his squad sorted sooner rather than later, thank god.

Exactly, minimal fuss from Mr Poyet and Co.

I have a feeling (only a guess) that the coaching staff may be added to and as we know the scouting network is being revamped. Lots of positive changes happening to turn us into a proper club once again! :clap::clap::clap:

Oct 25, 2003
i'm very pleased that we're sorting this out sooner rather than later

in the past we've left it PAINFULLY late

a) it gives the players that are being let go more time to find a new club

b) it means that we know exactly what we have left in the squad before we start looking for new players.......there'll be no "let's not bother looking for a left back because we've got dan harding" situations

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
The other thing is that 90% of the out of contract players have had more than enough time to prove their worth. The last 3 or 4 games of the season are primarily irrelevant if we are safe and I don't think that just because they played well in meaningless games would change Gus' opinion of them. He's too clever for that.

I'm looking forward to fining out the retained list though. There's always a few surprises!

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
Yes much better for all that it's done now and not half way through the summer. I don't know if it will be made public until the end of the season though?

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
He might give some borderline players (in his mind) a run out between here and the end of the season.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
unfortunately we can't officially do much about Painter until his contract with Swansea expires in June. Hopefully we are in touch with them and Marcos knows that there is a contract waiting with us when the time comes but dont expect to hear anything sooner than mid to late June on that front and a similar situation could be with Lualua and Hendrie.

Calderon I expect to have been offered a contract already and we will hear quite soon when (if) he signs it.

I would not be at all surprised if Arismendi joined us on loan at least until Christmas but we won't hear anything on that before July I guess. Barnes is in contract at Plymouth so we need to make an offer and they need to decide on their core squad ahead of next season. I'm guessing July before we hear anything on that front too.

Contract extensions should be sorted reasonably soon. Players who are away on loan (ie Forster) won't be officially resolved before their contracts expire in June. Gus has already said that he may not be able to contact all the players straight way and presumably this is what he is referring too. I expect to hear about Virgo/Kuipers/Hart/Cox etc by the end of this week.

My reckoning was on Virgo and Kuipers joining Whing, Hart, Hawkins, Cox and Carole in the revolving door marked "exit" before the Bristol match but there is some smart money on the former two staying for another year and on Hart getting a coaching gig (I for one would be well pleased if that happened).

Expect Dickinson, Davies, McNulty and Wright to be back at the end of June for pre season but expect three of them at least go on the official transfer list in July with one or two others also being available for the right offer. Hawkins might also be still with us pre-season as he needs to get fit to find a new club.

Last edited:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
and on Hart getting a coaching gig (I for one would be well pleased if that happened).

Why would he, and why would you be pleased? Is he a good coach then? What badges has he done?

I think the days of sentimental appointments like this are mercifully long gone.
Gus was happy to keep Oatway, as it offered him some continuity with the existing squad, etc, but thats it.

If we need another coach, Bloom will provide the funds for Gus to recuit a COACH, not an ex-player purely on the basis that they ran themselves into the ground for the cause.

Hart should be doing what he should have done 2 years ago - going out a finding himself a league 2 club, where he can actually play regularly, score goals, and enjoy himself, instead of wasting any more of his career sitting in our reserves with the youth teamers.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
And don't even get me started on the MENTAL suggestion of a coaching role for Michel....

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
And don't even get me started on the MENTAL suggestion of a coaching role for Michel....

on that I would agree.

I don't know if Hart has his badges or not but I could see him managing the reserves and doing a great job. Inspiration and attitude are critical in professional football and the guy has it to offer to youngsters coming through and to squad players waiting their chance. If we can afford to get the reserves playing regular football (and if we can find a league to play in) instead of one game a month the whole club would benefit.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
unfortunately we can't officially do much about Painter until his contract with Swansea expires in June. Hopefully we are in touch with them and Marcos knows that there is a contract waiting with us when the time comes but dont expect to hear anything sooner than mid to late June on that front and a similar situation could be with Lualua and Hendrie.

Calderon I expect to have been offered a contract already and we will hear quite soon when (if) he signs it.

I would not be at all surprised if Arismendi joined us on loan at least until Christmas but we won't hear anything on that before July I guess. Barnes is in contract at Plymouth so we need to make an offer and they need to decide on their core squad ahead of next season. I'm guessing July before we hear anything on that front too.

Contract extensions should be sorted reasonably soon. Players who are away on loan (ie Forster) won't be officially resolved before their contracts expire in June. Gus has already said that he may not be able to contact all the players straight way and presumably this is what he is referring too. I expect to hear about Virgo/Kuipers/Hart/Cox etc by the end of this week.

My reckoning was on Virgo and Kuipers joining Whing, Hart, Hawkins, Cox and Carole in the revolving door marked "exit" before the Bristol match but there is some smart money on the former two staying for another year and on Hart getting a coaching gig (I for one would be well pleased if that happened).

Expect Dickinson, Davies, McNulty and Wright to be back at the end of June for pre season but expect three of them at least go on the official transfer list in July with one or two others also being available for the right offer. Hawkins might also be still with us pre-season as he needs to get fit to find a new club.

I thought a player could sign a contract with a new club up to 6 months in advance of his current contract expiring. So the likes of Painter could sign immediately if he wanted to.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Virgo, Cox, Hart, Kuipers, Whing and Forster obviously wont get new deals.

Not only does Gus not see them as part of his plans, it would be fair to say 5 of them are probably amongst our top earners and gus can spend the wages better elsewhere.
Hawkins is probably on decent money also.

There should be a decent bit of money going around i think to offer decent wages to 4 or 5 quality additions hopefully.

Time to get rid of the old guard once and for all if we want to move forward.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
I thought a player could sign a contract with a new club up to 6 months in advance of his current contract expiring. So the likes of Painter could sign immediately if he wanted to.

He could indeed but I'm sure he will want to talk to Swansea first to see if they are going to offer him a deal

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here