Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

So when we will take the FA Cup seriously again?

When will we take the FA Cup seriously again?

• We never will again

Votes: 3 6.8%
  • When Gus is no longer our manager

Votes: 18 40.9%
  • When we reach the premiership

Votes: 3 6.8%
  • When we stumble through to he quarters despite fielding a weakened team in every round

Votes: 16 36.4%
  • When they offer a European place to the finalists

Votes: 4 9.1%

• Total voters

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Not for ages

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
It's a shame in my opinion, but the current manager HATES the FA Cup.

I didn't go today because I'd rather see the first team in cup.

The only positive is that the development squad got first team experience and reports suggest they are playing the passing football well.

However, I'm sorry when did the FA Cup become a training session for a Championship side.

Last edited:

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I wonder what Tony Bloom thinks?

And if he disagreed whether Gus would listen to him?

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
I wonder what Tony Bloom thinks?

And if he disagreed whether Gus would listen to him?

I think he'd be more concerned about the whole John Stephenson debacle or Poyets comments in the press more tbh, although I doubt it's something he is pleased with, from what I hear he's very pissed off over the Vicente situation.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Very good question. Last year everybody said "getting promoted is far more important", and I did ask what people's excuse will be next (this) season. So what is it then? We're probably not going to go up or down, so surely we aren't thinking "Forget the Cup it's far more important we concentrate on what will probably be a futile attempt to reach the play-offs", or "Forget the Cup, it's far more important that we are really really REALLY safe from relegation."

Didn't bother going yesterday as I know Poyet doesn't really give a toss and that consciously or unconsciously transmits itself to the senior players. I accept it was good experience for the youngsters and they acquitted themselves well (they were drooling over Hall on the radio), but they were only up against Conference players.

Despite this being basically a consolidation season I'm sure there are people on here who'd rather we had lost as opposed to having to have a replay. That says everything you need to know about the modern fan and the FA Cup.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
I think he'd be more concerned about the whole John Stephenson debacle or Poyets comments in the press more tbh, although I doubt it's something he is pleased with, from what I hear he's very pissed off over the Vicente situation.

I'd be very surprised if he stated this to anybody, even if he was.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
When poyet is no longer with us.

It's a shame in my opinion, but the current manager HATES the FA Cup.

I don't think it's just Poyet though. Palace for example apparently played almost their entire youth side against Derby, I'm sure there will be other examples of British managers doing the same.

We can say that Poyet's indifference is because he's foreign and wasn't brought up in the culture of the FA Cup, but I think we're just deluding ourselves. The younger British managers also spent at least part of their playing days in the modern "the Cup is a just a distraction" era and have carried that on into their managerial careers. More importantly the fans think like that as well, "we're not going to win it so why bother?" is a popular sentiment.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset

Then again, you're a miserable git whose opinion should be seen in that light. "From what you hear"? Who told you this and with what authority?

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Poyet does not giving a toss about the FA Cup. Its odd when we have a great chance of possibly a top 6 premiership side in the next round which will bring in more profile and cash to the club. Generally speaking the FA Cup is now considered an inconvenience to most premiership and championship clubs as they feel it is a distraction and they are above it. In my youth the whole country came to a standstill FA Cup Final day which started at midday with its a knockout and went on until about 6 pm regardless of who was playing. When BHAFC got to the final Brighton was a ghost town. Its a great shame.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
In my youth the whole country came to a standstill FA Cup Final day which started at midday with its a knockout and went on until about 6 pm regardless of who was playing.

I agree with the sentiment, if not the detail.

I remember Cup Final Grandstand started at 9am - the traditional kids' Saturday morning TV show was kicked into touch for the week. We'd have a lot of live stuff from the teams' hotels and see them boarding their buses and start the trip to Wembley. There'd be a Cup Final special edition of "Question of Sport" and, if Everton were playing, Stan Boardman would re-tell his Gaaaaaairman jokes.

I don't recall any special "It's a Knockout" though...

Poyet does not giving a toss about the FA Cup. Its odd when we have a great chance of possibly a top 6 premiership side in the next round which will bring in more profile and cash to the club. Generally speaking the FA Cup is now considered an inconvenience to most premiership and championship clubs as they feel it is a distraction and they are above it. In my youth the whole country came to a standstill FA Cup Final day which started at midday with its a knockout and went on until about 6 pm regardless of who was playing. When BHAFC got to the final Brighton was a ghost town. Its a great shame.

Poyet loves the FA cup,got us to the last 16 last year.
Yesterday he put out a team made up of young uns and what should be considered experience,it did not quite come off,the fact that the squad is completely depleted through injury and suspension has flown over a lot of people's bonces.

Poyet loves the FA cup,got us to the last 16 last year.
Yesterday he put out a team made up of young uns and what should be considered experience,it did not quite come off,the fact that the squad is completely depleted through injury and suspension has flown over a lot of people's bonces.

gave up the stoke game i recall

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
With the 4th round 3 days before the palace game I would much rather the players had a few days off than a long journey and a tough game. What happens if we get a good draw and are on tv on the sunday. If we do get through we must play the kids in the next round. Does anybody believe the cup is more than beating palace.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Am I right in thinking that Poyet stated that he would take the cups more seriously this season than last what with promotion being the important thing last campaign.
I dont mind watching the reserves or development squad - I often do at Culver Road but I was expecting a stronger team yesterday.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Be interesting to see what happens with the team picked for the replay if we get a great draw this afternoon

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here