Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

So is this why Coppell left?

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
So Coppell was torn was he? Well what tore him? The potential of Reading, The catchment area? Or the Premiership ambitions?

Well apparently according to The Times Reading have none of these things.

October 06, 2003

Royals lack cutting edge
By Ron Lewis
Reading 2 Bradford City 2

HAVING BEEN TOLD BY TWO managers now that his club is just not big enough, John Madejski, the Reading chairman and benefactor, will hope to appoint a new manager this week who can stop an alarming slide in form and again continue the process of moving the club forward.
Since Alan Pardew walked out a month ago, Reading have gone from second to twelfth in the Nationwide League first division. A temporary blip maybe, but Madejski is a man who demands progress, even if it is slow. The decisions of Pardew and Mark McGhee before him to walk out on his dream show that plenty of people do not share the belief that Berkshire is waiting for Premiership football.

Having gone to the play-offs last season, there is the chance that things could all go wrong. And maybe Pardew believed the club was basically over-performing. A shiny new stadium is no guarantee of success. What, after all, do Reading have on the likes of Derby County and Huddersfield Town? Not history, that’s for sure and, with an attendance of fewer than 13,000, not fan base either.

Madejski needs only to look at Bradford City’s recent past to realise it can all end in tears. City are now a side happy to cling on to their first division status in the hope that things will turn out all right in the end. While Reading spent most of Saturday’s match attacking, they very rarely looked like scoring and, for most of the second half, they had looked like losers.

So Steve, why were you torn?

tinx

Jul 6, 2003
Horsham Town
He's getting paid more and a smuch as he denies it who can turn down a job with a substantial pay rise.

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
The Times is a very sensible paper. Everyone knows our catchment area is greater, our fans are more passionate and given a stadium, our attendance would be in excess of 15,000 every week.

Wilts

Jul 5, 2003
Bournemouth/Reading
Captain Sensible said:
didn't think Reading were paying much more.

Don't you just love the last line in that article. They looked like losers. Brilliant.

One article. Plenty of positive ones. I don't think we'll be that upset about it come the rest of the season. If you were in such a situation you'd be exactly the same. When Falmer comes, so does extra pressure.

It looks like he's getting paid the same as before, pretty much.

Mullers

Banned
Jul 6, 2003
Good old Sussex by the sea!
I think that he left because the pressure of managing a team at the top of the league was too much for him.

That was the reason for the delay in going to Reading, their recent form has taken the pressure off, and it will be like trying to keep us up last year - nobody expected it, so he was hailed as a hero for nearly keeping us up! Reading will think he is a hero when they lose in the play-offs again (if they make them!) after their recent form.:lolol:

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
Platypuss said:
Yep, all that and still he decided to leave.

I think that tells us more about BHA than RFC.

More like the deluded Coppell than anyone else. He can't handle big clubs. Walked out on Man City and was happy at palace and Walked out on Brighton.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
Wilts said:
One article. Plenty of positive ones. I don't think we'll be that upset about it come the rest of the season. If you were in such a situation you'd be exactly the same. When Falmer comes, so does extra pressure.

It looks like he's getting paid the same as before, pretty much.

Tell me what is untrue about this article. If nothing then its all true.

Wilts

Jul 5, 2003
Bournemouth/Reading
Captain Sensible said:
Tell me what is untrue about this article. If nothing then its all true.

Didn't say it was untrue. Just said that there are plenty of biased articles saying that the club and the catchment area etc is ready for Premiership football. Mostly in the Times, too.

Opinions aren't intended to be true or untrue. If they are opinions then they cannot be true or untrue, such is the nature of an opinion. Beauty lies in the eyes of the beholder etc...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here