Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

So, are you a Racist?

Gilliver's Travels

Peripatetic
Jul 5, 2003
Brighton Marina Village
Racism - or Reason? London Irish’s deliberate conflation of religious criticism with racism is unworthy of an intelligent mind. But it’s a trick used by both ends of the political spectrum. The right uses opposition to Islam as a fig-leaf for its racial hatred of Asians more generally. The left lazily brands as racists those free thinkers and secularists who oppose Islam for the nasty, oppressive, misogynist, homophobic and totalitarian force that it represents in practice, across countless tyrannical theocracies.

Racial and religious discrimination are totally different. An individual’s race is obviously not an option. Religion most certainly is. Which is why Britain, unlike America, has many growing millions of contented ex-Christians. Too many people forget that it actually is possible - even for a Muslim or Kansas fundamentalist - to question, to think for yourself, to abandon ancient fairy stories and blind dogma and embrace logic, reason and the 21st century.

No religion should be beyond criticism: in Britain, there's a long tradition of laughing at vicars. Religions are inherently ridiculous - myths invented by men as a means of political control, conjured out of thin air, no evidence, permanently at war with each other. What on earth would God -- if he existed -- think about that?

So are you a racist or not? The test is simple. The racist by definition will detest all Indians, whether Sikh, Hindu, Muslim, Christian or atheist. The secularist, while not sharing those Indians' religious beliefs, will regard them equally, as fellow human beings, as neighbours, friends. But that secularist will absolutely not accept the violent imposition of someone else’s superstitious dogma as a substitute for open and honest exchange of ideas and, yes, direct criticism. That's the price of living in a free society, and anyone applying for admission needs to understand - and accept - that.

In today's situation, we have nothing to fear from Hindus, Jews or Sikhs, but plenty of reasons to criticise and oppose fundamentalist Islam.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Oh goody. Another racism thread. :(

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I am going out with a beautiful Asian woman so NO. :clap:

HampshireSeagulls

Moulding Generation Z
Jul 19, 2005
Bedford
Dunno. What sort of music and clothes would I get as a Secularist? Is there any special salute, haircut, type of footwear?

I reckon I am just intolerant of certain things.

Whatever London Irish isn't, then I am.

Dandyman

In London village.
Gilliver's Travels said:
Racism - or Reason? London Irish’s deliberate conflation of religious criticism with racism is unworthy of an intelligent mind. But it’s a trick used by both ends of the political spectrum. The right uses opposition to Islam as a fig-leaf for its racial hatred of Asians more generally. The left lazily brands as racists those free thinkers and secularists who oppose Islam for the nasty, oppressive, misogynist, homophobic and totalitarian force that it represents in practice, across countless tyrannical theocracies.

Racial and religious discrimination are totally different. An individual’s race is obviously not an option. Religion most certainly is. Which is why Britain, unlike America, has many growing millions of contented ex-Christians. Too many people forget that it actually is possible - even for a Muslim or Kansas fundamentalist - to question, to think for yourself, to abandon ancient fairy stories and blind dogma and embrace logic, reason and the 21st century.

No religion should be beyond criticism: in Britain, there's a long tradition of laughing at vicars. Religions are inherently ridiculous - myths invented by men as a means of political control, conjured out of thin air, no evidence, permanently at war with each other. What on earth would God -- if he existed -- think about that?

So are you a racist or not? The test is simple. The racist by definition will detest all Indians, whether Sikh, Hindu, Muslim, Christian or atheist. The secularist, while not sharing those Indians' religious beliefs, will regard them equally, as fellow human beings, as neighbours, friends. But that secularist will absolutely not accept the violent imposition of someone else’s superstitious dogma as a substitute for open and honest exchange of ideas and, yes, direct criticism. That's the price of living in a free society, and anyone applying for admission needs to understand - and accept - that.

In today's situation, we have nothing to fear from Hindus, Jews or Sikhs, but plenty of reasons to criticise and oppose fundamentalist Islam.

Agreed with a couple of qualifications. Firstly that most muslims are no more fundamentalist nutters than most Christians think that "the rapture" is just around the corner or Jews support the racism and thuggery of Ariel Sharon. That does not of course mean that the basic fantasy of religion should not be criticised or mocked. Secondly I don't think LI was saying criticising religion was the same as racism. I think his point was that muslims in Europe are a relatively powerless minority and that legitimate criticism of the reactionary nature of religion can be used to cloak other agendas.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Unlikely isn't it.

Actually I can honestly say most Black people who I have met through my work and my Black clients are the nicest people you could hope to meet.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
HS - Its legit honest, no dodgy websites or anything. She is Malaysian but has lived in England since 16. She's great :thumbsup:

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
It'd be handy if some of the people in the service sector in this country spoke fluent English. If I need to find something in a shop it's quicker to walk round and try and find it myself rather than having to make myself understood to a shop assistant in what is my country. If that's a racist view than guilty as charged.

Gilliver's Travels

Peripatetic
Jul 5, 2003
Brighton Marina Village
Cheeky Monkey said:
It'd be handy if some of the people in the service sector in this country spoke fluent English. If I need to find something in a shop it's quicker to walk round and try and find it myself rather than having to make myself understood to a shop assistant in what is my country. If that's a racist view than guilty as charged.
In itself, a very reasonable point. You'd only be a racist if you were prejudiced against that person's perfectly well-spoken compatriot.

I would not feel confident to work in a French shop unless I passed some kind of language test. But we're Brits - so how many of us could even apply?

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
Cheeky Monkey said:

Reasnoble point but surely that is up to the company to recruit better?

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
I'm a level 5 racist, I dont even like kent scum.

As for all or a few muslims. The fundementalist element numbers about 15 to 20% although most would not act out on there veiws at present.

All muslims refer to non-beleivers as infedels, this is equvellent to Christians who used to call no Christians Heathens. It reflects a lack of respect, they still have a lot to learn.

Islam specifically does not give parity to any other Religion.

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
Cheeky Monkey said:

But you demand low prices, so the shops have to cut costs, so they pay poor wages, so they can only employ those with no alternatives, therefore they attract recent immigrants.

So it's your own bloody fault

Locky

Oct 2, 2003
Brighton
Cheeky Monkey said:

Most companys are desperate to be seen as equal opportuntiy employers, scared that they will be taken to court for discrimination.

What ever happened to Best man for the job?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here