Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

So, all you roman Catholics giving up meat every Friday then?

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Some cleric has suggested that to be a good catholic and as Jesus seemly died on a Friday ( actually I thought he didn't die and that was the whole point) you have to show your devotion by not eating meat on a Friday.

Personally, I like a bit of fish on a Friday.

mune ni kamome

Jun 5, 2011
Worthing
Clerics playing with other peoples meat seems to be their problem.

Love the way the abuse thing has been completely swept away and ignored. The arrogance of it is stunning

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
I thought Catholics did this anyway? I was in halls with an Irish Catholic guy at Uni, who never touched meat on Friday. He wasn't a particularly strict Catholic, but the meat on Fridays tyhing was non negotiable.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I like a nice bit of fish on a Friday and often proclaim that it was "fit for Jehovah".

*** Awaits a stoning ***

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Why is fish meat different to bird meat or mammal meat (even reptile meat) etc? I've never understood veggies and religious groups deciding this!

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
I thought Catholics did this anyway? I was in halls with an Irish Catholic guy at Uni, who never touched meat on Friday. He wasn't a particularly strict Catholic, but the meat on Fridays tyhing was non negotiable.

Really, really, really not followed by anyone here anymore.

Good Friday and that day alone it has some vague following - work canteens usually make sure they have a fish dish on and the like - but I go out of my way to get a big greasy Full Irish those days.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
For some reason food seems to loom quite large in most Religions. Why? :moo:

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west

Any excuse to stuff yourself silly, if you can do it in the name of religion then it takes away the guilt factor!

spig100963

Mar 18, 2011
I reckon this one has to do with the days before refrigeration and all fish needed to be eaten before weekend. Might be wrong.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
Yes. I see the eating thing, but what about your Muslim with Ramadan. All the others that involve not eating or eating specific things? It's almost like food is so important to most religions after whatever deity is involved,it's the food that is being worshipped.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Bacchus had the right idea.

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
I'll follow the fish thing gladly, but it still feels a cop out to me. Muslim's put themselves through real punishment. I mean no booze EVER!!! what is life without an occasional drink?!

Ramadan is no walk in the park either.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Ramadan is no walk in the park either.

Indeed, not too bad if it is late in the year when there are fewer hours of daylight, but dreadful in the summer when it stays light until the late evening. Imagine going through a whole summer's day without even a swig of water...that takes an amazing amount of restraint.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here