Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Smoking in public in Scotland is going to be illegal

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
Scotland smoking ban to go ahead

A smoker exhales at the Westerton Arms Bar, Bridge of Allan
Smoking is to be banned in enclosed public places in Scotland, the Scottish Executive has decided.
The decision, which was a unanimous one by Scottish ministers, will be announced in the Scottish Parliament about 1430 GMT.

Doctors and anti-tobacco groups had urged the executive to "be brave" and opt for a ban to improve public health.

Licensees have vowed to fight the ban, which follows similar moves by Ireland, Norway and parts of the USA.

Bill O'Neill, Scottish secretary of the British Medical Association, said: "Devolution has provided us with an opportunity to lead the rest of the UK in developing this vital piece of public health legislation.

To continue to allow people to work in smoky environments is the 21st century equivalent of sending children up chimneys

Jim Devine
Unison

"Voluntary measures, which are about comfort rather than public health protection, have been in place for over 10 years and have been proved to be ineffective.

"Each year we continue to rely on these half-hearted measures, Scots continue to suffer from passive smoke-related illnesses and significant numbers die.

"International experience shows that comprehensive tobacco control programmes, supported by national legislation, work."

Irish example

Professor Alex Markham, of Cancer Research UK, said that a ban on smoking in public in Scotland could signal the biggest step forward in the fight against cancer for a generation.

The British Heart Foundation, also urged the executive to follow Ireland's lead.

Leader of the Royal College of Nurses in Scotland James Kennedy said decisive action was needed to tackle Scotland's poor public health record.

Smoking in pubs is to be banned
The country had been at the bottom of European health league tables for too long, and this was "an opportunity for Scotland to lead the way in the UK and make a real difference".

Jim Devine, spokesman for the public services union Unison, called banning smoking in enclosed public places a "basic health and safety matter".

"Passive smoking seriously harms health and can kill those who are exposed to tobacco smoke for extended periods of time - most vulnerable are bar and restaurant workers.

"To continue to allow people to work in smoky environments is the 21st century equivalent of sending children up chimneys."

We still believe that we don't have to go from nothing to a total ban

Paul Waterson
Scottish Licensed Trade Association
Scottish Executive insiders have said that the economic claims made by opponents do not add up, as trade had increased in New York bars and restaurants after a ban there.

Scotland's health record meant it was not acceptable to simply wait for public opinion to catch up.

However, the executive has been warned that publicans will fight "tooth and nail" to stop plans for an outright ban on smoking on their premises.

Compromise proposals

Paul Waterson, of the Scottish Licensed Trade Association, said publicans did not agree with a total ban and feared it could destroy their businesses.

He argued that while his members were backing new curbs, a full ban would be disastrous for the trade.

He said: "We fully endorse the executive's desire to tighten smoking policy. But we still believe that we don't have to go from nothing to a total ban.

Smokers face having to go outside to light up
"We have compromise proposals on the table, they are fair, we believe they are workable and we think that we don't have to go to a full ban here."

Cigarette producers have claimed the people of Scotland are not in favour of a ban.

The Tobacco Manufacturers' Association (TMA) said an executive-commissioned poll had found a 50-50 split between those for and against further restrictions on smoking in public.

TMA chief executive Tim Lord said Scotland had been surveyed as part of a UK-wide poll of 10,000 people.

'Costly bureaucracy'

The results indicated that 77% of people were not in favour of a total ban in pubs, clubs and bars, he said.

"The public want choice, not a legislative ban with costly bureaucracy.

Nine views on a smoking ban in Scotland
"We urge the executive to maintain support behind a voluntary approach, reflecting public opinion."

A spokesman for the executive declined to confirm the findings and said the poll would be discussed during the cabinet meeting.

Deputy Health Minister Rhona Brankin said: "In my view, the responsibility for politicians is to take action to save lives.

Death toll

"Scotland has one of the worst health reputations in western Europe, with one in four of all deaths attributable to smoking.

"About 13,000 people die every year as a result of smoking - we have to tackle that."

Ms Brankin added that 7,000 people in Ireland stopped smoking in the first months of the Irish ban and tobacco sales have fallen 16%.

She said: "The facts are there and they are irrefutable - we simply must take action."

fatboy

Jul 5, 2003
Falmer
Good. Ban it in Brighton too.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
I'd prefer not to be called by my surname...

And that question needs two answers, one from Drunk Me and one from Sober Me. Respectively its yes and no.

EDIT

More accurately, Very Drunk Me, and All Other Times Me. Three pints or so and I still don't feel pissed enough to inhale carcinogens...

Last edited:

fatboy

Jul 5, 2003
Falmer
I'd love to go out and be able to come back and not have to wash my clothes 17 times to get rid of the smell of smoke.

Same goes for my hair.

Bigtomfu

Jul 25, 2003
Harrow
fatbadger said:
Great, so a bunch of car-driving anti-libertarian wankers have decided that nobody can enjoy a cigarette in public, eh? Oh whoopie-do. f***ing scum.

if anyones f***ing scum its you guys- never have a problem in general with smokers other than as fatboy stated, i f***ing hate stinking of ash and smoke when ive been out, if the real cost of treating smoking related diseases was to be passed on to the cost of a pack none of you would smoke get real and live in the 21st century mate why would you want to put yourself and other people at vey real risk for the sake of five minutes of supposed pleasure evry hour. TWAT and i dont drive either if your going to spout any b**lsh*t rhetoric back at me about that either.

Oh, calm down, for God's sake. I'm not quite sure how smokers, in the overall scheme of things, ended up being considered to be so evil. Good grief. Car drivers kill shedloads more than smokers - but I don't hear many people on here, or anywhere else, calling them scum and saying that driving should be banned. My main complaint was about the anti-libertarian car-driving scum who made the decision, and I absolutely stand by that.

fatboy

Jul 5, 2003
Falmer
fourthteamtillidie said:
if anyones f***ing scum its you guys- never have a problem in general with smokers other than as fatboy stated, i f***ing hate stinking of ash and smoke when ive been out, if the real cost of treating smoking related diseases was to be passed on to the cost of a pack none of you would smoke get real and live in the 21st century mate why would you want to put yourself and other people at vey real risk for the sake of five minutes of supposed pleasure evry hour. TWAT and i dont drive either if your going to spout any b**lsh*t rhetoric back at me about that either.

Agree with your point but you could use that argument with drink, drugs, trains, cars etc etc

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
I've just recently given up smoking my usual 20-Marlboro-red-a-day. 4 weeks and 2 days since my last fag. I gave up primarily for financial reasons (pack a day x 365 = £1750 a year), but also health reasons as I'm approaching 40 couldn't walk uphill without getting puffed out.

However - I agree with fatbadger, I do not believe smoking should be banned in all public places. I am all for no-smoking areas of restaurants and pubs etc, and even agree with no smoking in theatres and cinemas. But banning it in all public areas just smacks of the increasingly nanny state we all appear to be living in nowadays.

Eddie the Seagull

Jul 6, 2003
Crowborough
fatboy said:
I'd love to go out and be able to come back and not have to wash my clothes 17 times to get rid of the smell of smoke.

Same goes for my hair.

Get a skinhead then.

:jester:

Schrödinger's Toad

Nie dla Idiotów
Jan 21, 2004
fatbadger said:
Car drivers kill shedloads more than smokers - but I don't hear many people on here, or anywhere else, calling them scum and saying that driving should be banned.

That's because driving isn't intrinsically harmful - Smoking is. Neither is drink.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I agree with Pasty.
Its far too draconian to ban smoking in pubs. For christs sake, people go to pubs for a drink and a fag to help them relax. I'm a non-smoker, but as long as no-one is literally puffing it in my face, then smoke in a pub really doesn't bother me (within reason). Sometimes pubs are overly smokey, but thats normally just down to poor ventilation. The pubs I go to (and there are quite a few) all have what I would consider "acceptable" smoke levels, ie its not overly excessive, I'm not choking on it, and I can see my own hand in front of my face.

If you find a pub too smokey then GO SOMEWHERE ELSE.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here