Votes: 5 12.8%
  • better ventilation

Votes: 6 15.4%
  • stay as you are, choke to death..

Votes: 7 17.9%

• Total voters

rool

Jul 10, 2003
A lot of emotion on both sides of this one. My only point is that I don't have a choice whether I or my children smoke someone elses smoke other than to go somewhere else. Is that fair? I dunno. However from 22 March 2004 in Ireland it will be illegal to smoke in a place of work and that includes pubs, restaurants, shopping centres etc, and I was extremely pleased when this was passed.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
I agree with possible bans in shopping centres and plcaes like that but in PUBS and CLUBS?

Are you having a pickle? That's the biggest bunch of crap i ever heard. Go to any pub that 'allows' smoking now and there will be a sticker on the wondow saying'Smoking allowed throught'. This is the way it should be done. Give customers the choice so they can't have a moan when somebody is smoking, they know the score then and if they don't want to sit in a potentially smokey atmosphere then they don't have to.

Vinyl Richie

Jul 30, 2003
Polling North Standers
seperate rooms would be the BENTest thing in the world! That'd just create a smoking "pit" that non-smokers would have to sit in if they had a smoker mate (which most crowds do).

Better vent. all the way.

Couldn't imagine Chappers with out a SALMON hanging out of his mouth

rool

Jul 10, 2003
The reason it was bought in was to protect the workers. It's not crap it is going to happen in March. Sorry.

brighton rock

Jul 5, 2003
lancing
should be banned at the football as it already is at the palace,non smokers hate ciggy smoke? separate area'a in restuarants seems to work ok, as for pubs a ban would be a uncontrolable because beer and fags seen to go together,but it would be nice to see a no smoking pub so non smokers have a choice?and i think that is the key to it all the word choice?

Last edited:

rool

Jul 10, 2003
It is controllable by a €2000 euro fine for whoever gets reported and caught

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
would be interesting to see if someone set up a non smoking pub - what the business would be like??

I'd prefer to be able to make the choice - and I'd take the risk if I chose the smoking one....don't know how that would get around the problem of the bar staff being affected by smoke - but seems to me - quite a few of them smoke themselves....

bhafc4eva

Nov 21, 2003
munster monch said:
It is controllable by a €2000 euro fine for whoever gets reported and caught

wake up as if that would ever happen

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Silly idea really, whatever happened to freedom of choice. It should be the choice of the owners of pubs, clubs and restaurants whether they wish to ban smoking or not. I'm sure there is a market for both types of venue.

As for the health risks to employees, these are probably exaggerated. Life expectancy is only significantly reduced by exposure to a lot of smoke over a long period of time.

Last edited:

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
I don't see why bar staff are gettig so much protection, there are plenty of other lines of work with 'hazardous' conditions where the workers recieve little protection (binmen for example).

rool

Jul 10, 2003
bhafc4eva said:
wake up as if that would ever happen

Give me credit, I live here, its in the news all the time, IT WILL HAPPEN, it is law from 22 March

Vinyl Richie

Jul 30, 2003
Polling North Standers
tedebear said:
would be interesting to see if someone set up a non smoking pub - what the business would be like??

It's completely bent. There should be complete free choice.

If you don't like smoke, don't go to the smokier bars.
If you don't like music in your pub, go to weatherspoons.
If you like men, go to dr. brightons.
If you like fights, go to Yates's.

In Brighton there is PLENTY of choice. I don't smoke and HATE it when someone is blowing smoke in my face, but I don't think they should be removed or asked to leave. Better VENTILATION for all. It's the "old man" pubs that tend to have shite ventilation. Either they get up to scratch with their air cond. or (non-smoking) punters can go elsewhere.

bhafc4eva

Nov 21, 2003
munster monch said:
Give me credit, I live here, its in the news all the time, IT WILL HAPPEN, it is law from 22 March

bollocks so from this date you cant have a smoke in a bar?

tedebear said:

There already is one at the bottom of North Street next to the flower shop. Not been there long but everything else that has been there (Lunar Bar etc) has never lasted longer than a bout six months.

I'm thinking of setting up a smoke-free bar in Kemp Town. Going to call it 'Poofs without the puffs'. :jester:

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Vinyl Richie said:
It's completely bent. There should be complete free choice.

If you don't like smoke, don't go to the smokier bars.
If you don't like music in your pub, go to weatherspoons.
If you like men, go to dr. brightons.
If you like fights, go to Yates's.

In Brighton there is PLENTY of choice. I don't smoke and HATE it when someone is blowing smoke in my face, but I don't think they should be removed or asked to leave. Better VENTILATION for all. It's the "old man" pubs that tend to have shite ventilation. Either they get up to scratch with their air cond. or (non-smoking) punters can go elsewhere.

Shut up Tobes, you love the fags.

There is a choice in this town as LERONE say, you can find a pub without good ventialtion and a nice smoke free atmosphere.

If you go to a pub and don't like the smoky atmosphere then leave, don't moan.

REDLAND

Jul 7, 2003
At the foot of the downs
tedebear said:
would be interesting to see if someone set up a non smoking pub - what the business would be like?

check out the one at the bottom of North Street, used to be the Lunar bar, its pretty empty most nights !!!, Kinda proof if required that a total ban is the only way forward.

Its works in California, and is actually a good way to meet people, standing outside having a fag !!!

rool

Jul 10, 2003
This is from RTE and there have been no objections so it goes ahead either 22 or 29 March. As you can see there will be a few exemptions but pubs and clubs will be included.

(18:39) The ban on smoking in the workplace is likely to be in place by the end of March, and the date will be announced once the first deadline for objections expires next week.

Close observers believe the Minister for Health and Children, Micheál Martin, will move to implement the ban as soon as legally possible, while giving industry and health groups time to put preparations in place.

Today was the day that the smoking ban was supposed to be introduced, as it was the date set by the minister when he signed the statutory instrument last October.

However, in November, following advice from the Attorney General's office, amendments to the original blanket ban were made - exempted 'dwellings' were extended to include hotel bedrooms, psychiatric hospitals, Bed & Breakfasts, hospices, the Central Mental Hospital and prisons.

The amended regulations were notified to the European Commission, and member states were given three months to raise objections.

The deadline for the exemption on prisons expires on 4 February - for the others on 16 February.

It is believed that by the end of next week, the Minister will be in a position to announce the date of the ban.

It is expected he will give a lead-in time of six to eight weeks from then.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Don't know what the situation is in Ireland, but with the problem of the ageing population and the expected shortfall in the workforce, should we really be encouraging people to live longer?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here