Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Smoking at the Amex

Rich Suvner

Skint years RIP
Jul 17, 2003
Worthing
This would be me-followed by 2 fags in quick succession upon the final whistle-

Whose moaning? Just making some points!

Anyway, having not been over yet as saving my experience for the first league game, I didn't know that, so thanks.

well you can relax.

i read: "I then asked if he hopes fans will come early, stay late etc and enjoy the food & drink available, which he obviously replied yes. I said then count me out of that, I will turn up late and leave ASAP" as a bit of a moan.

ps. you're gonna love the open-access policy after the game. it's excellent moving between stands/bars

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
well you can relax.

i read: "I then asked if he hopes fans will come early, stay late etc and enjoy the food & drink available, which he obviously replied yes. I said then count me out of that, I will turn up late and leave ASAP" as a bit of a moan.

ps. you're gonna love the open-access policy after the game. it's excellent moving between stands/bars

i would take it as that too-that said it's probably the type of thing i would say and it would seem to carry more justification if in light of the alleged mere rumours1901'ers being allowed-god forbid/payfor to smoke in a NON SMOKING stadium..if true...

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)
seems to me the 1901s can do whatever they want coz thet pay that little bit more

Quite right as well!! they pay far more money than any other person attending, that gives them the right to do as they like, these people are the back bone of the club, without them we would probably not survive!!! they deserve special treatment FFS!!!!

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Quite right as well!! they pay far more money than any other person attending, that gives them the right to do as they like, these people are the back bone of the club, without them we would probably not survive!!! they deserve special treatment FFS!!!!

whilst i agree - why label it a non smoking stadium-that said in full agreement-maybe i will have to become at some stage a 1901 member

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
Noticed in Portugal and driving through Spain that people were smoking in the bars there the good things was it left plenty of room outside for non smokers to sit unlike this country where every chair outside a pub or coffee shop is taken by a smoker.

Yeah, funny that this should happen over here now. I can't - for the life of me - work out why that is...

HovaGirl

I'll try a breakfast pie
Jul 16, 2009
West Hove
Hmm, well this is gonna spoil my fun if I can't nip out at HT for a crafty puff, or have somewhere to go when I meet up with the family after the match. It also means there's a considerable amount of money I'm not going to be spending in the bars after the match, cos I'm outa there, ASAP!

Jan 19, 2009
Worthing
Smoking doesn't particularly bother me, but is it REALLY that hard to go 2 hours without a tab ?

There were far more moaning about having to wait half an hour to get a beer last week.

By that criteria they're all alcoholics then.

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
How hard can it be to allow a bunch of supporters to nip out & H/T and have a ciggie? We've got so-called SMARTCARDS that could allow folk back in in super-quick time to boot. Bloody stupid state of affairs, frankly (although a certain 'reformed smoker' on here would probably come outside & complain about the fag smoke if they did allow it).

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
is there any legislation that says you cant leave the ground and re-enter midgame? seems to me the answer is atcually very simple now we have the technology of smartcards/barcodes, you simply swipe your way back through the turnstyle at half time for a fag.

Feb 24, 2011
Upper Bevendean
is there any legislation that says you cant leave the ground and re-enter midgame? seems to me the answer is atcually very simple now we have the technology of smartcards/barcodes, you simply swipe your way back through the turnstyle at half time for a fag.

Not at all, I know some very very angry people who went outside at half time for a smoke, and were refused re entry. The steward said it was club policy not to re admit people. Bloody ridiculous if you ask me.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Not at all, I know some very very angry people who went outside at half time for a smoke, and were refused re entry. The steward said it was club policy not to re admit people. Bloody ridiculous if you ask me.

Ha! yep reminds me of last season,i was in the North stand and was right near the gate,stewards were letting the "chosen" through for a fag,when i asked in a very cheeky polite manner,if i could do the same,i got the "policy" bit...left me not happy,but hey that's life,besides i managed a couple of sneaky puffs a while later when everybody was re seated..

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

and i could well understand in the past, how to control people in and out when the turnstyles are closed and stubs gone. with our new technological entry systems, theres no good reason not to allow people out and re-enter (barring law).

Grapes of Wrath

Nov 1, 2009
Worthing
and i could well understand in the past, how to control people in and out when the turnstyles are closed and stubs gone. with our new technological entry systems, theres no good reason not to allow people out and re-enter (barring law).

I agree, if there was an appetite from the club to organise this, it could be sorted, but I suspect that there wont be and they will maintain the "No Re admission" policy they had at Withdean. Surely far better to allow this than have some people sneaking a crafty fag in the toilets etc, and all the complaints that will follow. I would be quite happy to have my smart card noted "Filthy Smoker" if need be.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
I agree, if there was an appetite from the club to organise this, it could be sorted, but I suspect that there wont be and they will maintain the "No Re admission" policy they had at Withdean. Surely far better to allow this than have some people sneaking a crafty fag in the toilets etc, and all the complaints that will follow. I would be quite happy to have my smart card noted "Filthy Smoker" if need be.

Apparrently the Tinpot Tyrant Dick Tight was allowed to go outside at Withdean (and come back in) when he smoked.

slinky

The Only Way Is Brighton
Jan 19, 2011
BN2
as an ex smoker i feel that if people want to smoke that is there choice.

I am not going to preach, it is a choice that people have to make... I used to smoke, and chose not too. My choice.

So as long as they are not smoking in the concourses or the stands then they are doing nothing wrong...

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
I spoke to Martin Perry about this when I went to the presentation a few months back. His response was that The Amex would be non smoking the same as Withdean. I told him about other clubs who let you out at half time, but he said that is not an option at the Amex.

I then asked if he hopes fans will come early, stay late etc and enjoy the food & drink available, which he obviously replied yes. I said then count me out of that, I will turn up late and leave ASAP. Simple fact is I am a smoking addict, and unless you do or have smoked, then you probably don't realise that it is difficult to last a couple of hours, especially if you have poked a pie and a couple of pints down your neck.

Shame that they can't revisit this, other clubs let you out at half time, and this prevents people smoking in the ground where they shouldn't. People smoked at half time at Withdean, but at least that was in the open air. Also it only takes a few stewards and a bit of tape or similar to police a half time quick one. I'm sure all the anti's have a different view, but there is a proven way of doing this, it just takes a bit working out for the benefit of all, but Mr Perry was not at all receptive. In fact he did say "nobody smoked at Withdean" which is so far from the truth.

Anyway, it is a difficult one, but I'm not expecting any change of heart from the club

Personally, as nice a chap as Mr. Perry is...he is rather rotund. Perhaps he should be banned from eating in the Amex......and if he should decide to go outside for a sneaky pie.....would he be refused re-admission...?

I only suggest this because I am concerned for his health....and all the money he will cost tax payers due to his obesity......

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here